Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 279916 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1905 on: March 13, 2021, 03:04:11 am »

Family wanted to watch this, wasn't something I had seen much about other than some pictures and advertising, but ended up finding Raya and the Last Dragon to be good.  I don't think it does anything amazing, but it has some real solid visuals, some fun action scenes, and cool story.  My only real issue was it, that all of the dialogue is super modern, it's a fictional fantasy world, but characters are like moments away from going "Bruh" and saying "Poggers", its weird.  I don't need it to sound like old timey fantasy talk, I mean I watch Kung Fu Panda, or Moana, and it's never a problem with them and their snappy dialogue.  It's a minor complaint really, but otherwise it's a good film.

I had something else written about this movie, but screw it, this movie ended on a cliffhanger for Part 2, not even finishing the story they had.  This isn't even a long movie, it's an hour and a half long.  I'm mad lol Like the absolute gall of these people to be like "Oh yeah, this is gonna be so damn good, people are gonna want Part 2 and Part 3 of it!" lol

Everything that has to do with Monster Hunter is good and fine, it's all designs from the game, Diablos and Rathalos look good, some other creatures I don't know well because I've only played World are cool, they have Ron Perlman as the Admiral which looks hilarious, but I like it, one character who is barely in the movie is just the Handler from World, they even have the Meowscular Chef.  The bad stuff is basically everything else this movie is attached to.  The story involving our world sucks.  You do a few tweaks to the plot and the movie instead stars Tony Jaa struggling to survive a harsh wasteland and get back to his crew to tackle some ancient threat to the world.  No US military involved.  Like they are entirely pointless to everything going on other than fodder for Diablos and Rathalos, except for Milla Jovovich, who's a badass Ranger, but is so badass, she becomes a Monster Hunter super quick, and is a badass original character, do not steal.  I don't even hate her specifically, Milla is fine an action lead, she can sell the roll well enough, it's just everything built around here that drives me nuts and I haven't liked a movie she's been in since Fifth Element...maybe Resident Evil 1 because it's a guilty pleasure movie.

It's frustrating, because they could've just made a cheesy, but totally fun Monster Hunter movie starring Tony Jaa as the main guy, but instead we get this Monster Hunter movie burdened by bad writing, wonky editing and pacing, and a cliffhanger to a movie that most people don't want and probably won't get made because it released during a pandemic and only made half its budget back there.  This isn't a completely terrible movie, but Paul W.S. Anderson just needs to be stopped from making video game movies lol
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 04:59:36 am by kamikazekeeg »

pzeke

« Reply #1906 on: March 13, 2021, 06:42:42 am »
It's frustrating, because they could've just made a cheesy, but totally fun Monster Hunter movie starring Tony Jaa as the main guy, but instead we get this Monster Hunter movie burdened by bad writing, wonky editing and pacing, and a cliffhanger to a movie that most people don't want and probably won't get made because it released during a pandemic and only made half its budget back there.  This isn't a completely terrible movie, but Paul W.S. Anderson just needs to be stopped from making video game movies lol

It's Paul W. S. Anderson and Milla Jovovich. What were you expecting?

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #1907 on: March 13, 2021, 06:59:02 am »

It's Paul W. S. Anderson and Milla Jovovich. What were you expecting?

A Paul W.S. Anderson and Milla Jovovich movie, and that's what I got, but it was also worse somehow than I was expecting lol

« Reply #1908 on: March 13, 2021, 07:22:59 am »
Tom & Jerry

Pretty good looking. The animated characters look clean and sharp with the live-action scenes. Movie itself wasn't anything special though.

« Reply #1909 on: March 13, 2021, 06:30:57 pm »
Coneheads was honestly way better than I remembered.  I was laughing pretty constantly throughout.

Godzilla vs. Desoroyah was an excellent final entry in the Heisei series.  Tying it back to original film was a great idea.  It kind of just ends, though which was odd.

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is much better than I thought it would be based on the fact that no one really talks about it.  It does some stuff that's not really in any of the other films (someone literally climbs around on Big G).  The CGI is still really shaky since it's 2000, but I was pleasantly surprised by something I thought would be totally forgettable.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 09:31:10 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #1910 on: March 15, 2021, 12:37:12 am »
HAHA that's funny others have been watching Godzilla recently as well!

Got a random itch to rewatch the Heisei era films (my favorite Godzilla era overall) and so far I've made it through the first three over the last two days.

Godzilla 1985

This was the movie that got me into Godzilla as a very young boy. I rented this movie probably 20 times from a local independent rental store during the early 90s, and my memories of this movie mean a lot to me. Even watching this movie now there are certain parts (the battle with Super X and the ending scene especially) that hit me ultra hard in the feels; it's like I'm 5 again watching this movies. But even years later as an adult I can still really appreciate this movie despite its flaws. To me, this movie is Godzilla more than any other and is one of my favorite movies in the franchise.

Godzilla vs. Biollante

This was another one I rented the hell out of as a kid and is still to this day one of my favorites. Biollante is a super underrated monster, and at least watching this movie now I feel like I can appreciate it's story more than I could back in the day. I love the espionage angle the plot takes, as well as it having teenage psychics. It's just such a fun, entertaining movie. And of course, I freakin love the final battle between Biollante and Godzilla! Amazing!

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah

It really bums me out that this movie never saw a US release, or at least not one I was aware of, during the early and mid 90s. i say that because if I'd seen this movie as a kid like the previous two movies I'd have probably liked it way more than I did watching it for the first time several years ago. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy certain parts of this movie, particularly the last third of the movie which is almost non-stop monster on monster action. Unfortnately the first 2/3 is a mixed bag, and not a very good bag at that. The story is pretty confusing with various time paradoxes that the writers overlooked, but that can be forgiven. The main thing is the pacing isn't that great in the beginning, although I did appreciate them giving an origin story for Godzilla. One other thing this movie has going for it are some extremely funny moments that I'm pretty sure aren't meant to be funny at all. Combine this with terrible voice acting, even for a dubbed Godzilla movie, and I can see why many people consider this one of their favorites. Personally, it isn't one of mine, but still enjoy watching this one every few years or so.

« Reply #1911 on: March 15, 2021, 09:34:42 am »
Judas and the Black Messiah - This was great.  One of the best of last year, for sure.

Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack - Loved it.  Interesting story, great action.  Was great that Toho brought in some new blood to handle this one.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:05:03 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #1912 on: March 16, 2021, 01:33:47 am »

Aquaman might be my favorite of the DCEU films right now, as I feel like from beginning to end, it's just a fun flick.  Man of Steel is good, but visually I'm not into how washed out it is and some of the story stuff doesn't work for me.  Wonder Woman is also good, but it's mostly just parts strewn throughout I like more, and the big bad and finale isn't great.  Shazam is fun and goofy and is probably the least DCEU-like of all the films, but I don't really love it enough to want to rewatch it.  Aquaman just has some cool visuals, some fun designs, the action is good, Jason Momoa is just having a good time kicking butt, all the Atlantis stuff looks great with lots of vibrant colors throughout, and it's like a big adventure film.  I always did like this one before because it was so different from BVS and even Justice League, but another watch and there just wasn't anything that bothered me and I had a good time.

It's gonna be weird to go from this to Snyder's Justice League, which is probably just gonna be dark and edgy nonsense, but I at least have a better grasp on the greater DCEU at the moment going into the new Justice League in a few days.

With Godzilla vs Kong coming up soon, my most anticipated film of the year, it's time to start running through the Legendary Godzilla/Kong stuff, so starting it off with Kong: Skull Island this time.  Still a good film, I dig the whole Vietnam era setup for it, essentially making it an unconventional Vietnam film with a lot of the hallmarks you expect out of one.  There isn't much that I have a problem with, a couple nitpicks here and there, but scenes can get real tense for sure. 

Depending on what happens in the next movie, I'd love it if Kong can get another solo film with him and Monarch roaming through the Hollow Earth kicking ass with all sorts of crazy monsters lol
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 05:04:31 am by kamikazekeeg »

Flashback2012

« Reply #1913 on: March 16, 2021, 08:40:41 am »
For kamikazekeeg

It's been FOREVER since I've seen the original. I got lucky and found a BluRay of it (w/Steelbook) at an FYE last year. I should re-watch it to see if it's as bad as I remember.  ;)

« Reply #1914 on: March 16, 2021, 09:03:58 am »
Depending on what happens in the next movie, I'd love it if Kong can get another solo film with him and Monarch roaming through the Hollow Earth kicking ass with all sorts of crazy monsters lol

This is actually kind of my problem with the Monsterverse overall - they jumped right into the big stuff.  A single solo movie for Kong and G?  Then straight to Ghidorah and the title match?  I feel like we should have gotten some other smaller more set-up movies first.  Because now, where do they go from here?

It's been FOREVER since I've seen the original. I got lucky and found a BluRay of it (w/Steelbook) at an FYE last year. I should re-watch it to see if it's as bad as I remember.  ;)

I watched it last night.  It is that bad.

Speaking of:

Current ranking:

• Shin Godzilla
  • Godzilla (1954)
  • Godzilla (2014)
  • King Kong (1933)
  • Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
  • Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
  • Godzilla vs. Biollante
  • Godzilla vs. Desoroyah
  • Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
  • Mothra vs. Godzilla
  • Mothra
  • Invasion of Astro-Monster
  • Kong: Skull Island
  • Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
  • Godzilla: Final Wars
  • Destroy All Monsters
  • Godzilla 2000 - American Version
  • Godzilla vs. Mothra
  • The Return of Godzilla
  • Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
  • Godzilla vs. Gigan
  • Godzilla, King of the Monsters
  • King Kong (2005)
  • Terror of Mechagodzilla
  • Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
  • Godzilla vs. Hedorah
  • Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
  • Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla
  • Godzilla Raids Again
  • King Kong vs. Godzilla - American Version
  • Godzilla (1998)
  • Godzilla vs. Megalon
  • Son of Godzilla
  • Rebirth of Mothra

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1915 on: March 16, 2021, 11:30:25 am »

Aquaman might be my favorite of the DCEU films right now, as I feel like from beginning to end, it's just a fun flick.  Man of Steel is good, but visually I'm not into how washed out it is and some of the story stuff doesn't work for me.  Wonder Woman is also good, but it's mostly just parts strewn throughout I like more, and the big bad and finale isn't great.  Shazam is fun and goofy and is probably the least DCEU-like of all the films, but I don't really love it enough to want to rewatch it.  Aquaman just has some cool visuals, some fun designs, the action is good, Jason Momoa is just having a good time kicking butt, all the Atlantis stuff looks great with lots of vibrant colors throughout, and it's like a big adventure film.  I always did like this one before because it was so different from BVS and even Justice League, but another watch and there just wasn't anything that bothered me and I had a good time.

It's gonna be weird to go from this to Snyder's Justice League, which is probably just gonna be dark and edgy nonsense, but I at least have a better grasp on the greater DCEU at the moment going into the new Justice League in a few days.

With Godzilla vs Kong coming up soon, my most anticipated film of the year, it's time to start running through the Legendary Godzilla/Kong stuff, so starting it off with Kong: Skull Island this time.  Still a good film, I dig the whole Vietnam era setup for it, essentially making it an unconventional Vietnam film with a lot of the hallmarks you expect out of one.  There isn't much that I have a problem with, a couple nitpicks here and there, but scenes can get real tense for sure. 

Aquaman was definitely the most visually impressive if the DCU films. Bright, colorful eye-candy. And the women were gorgeous. But I felt the story was a bit predictable and cliche. Not that it was a bad story, though.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:46:30 am by burningdoom »

« Reply #1916 on: March 17, 2021, 02:51:34 am »

Kong: Skull Island put me in a mood and since I've been meaning to watch the 2005 King Kong again, something I haven't seen in a real long time and certainly not the blurary extended version of the film, so I figured I'd pop it in.  Well "Pop it in" might not be the right thing to say for a 3 and a half hour film lol

This movie still holds up real well after 15 years, most all the special effects look real good, Kong in particular is fantastic with a lot of character to him.  There's only a few scenes that don't hold up super great, like the big long neck dinos stampede scene has some rough compositing where the people don't look like they fit in at all and that whole scene gets abit ridiculous, but there's a whole lot that looks awesome.  It's definitely a long watch, but it never felt as long as it was, even if I was doing bead art while watching it.  Real good watch though.

Funny thing I didn't realize, was that Kyle Chandler was in this, who went on to be in the Legendary Godzilla movies, so he'll have been in a Kong movie twice.  Probably not a lot of people that could say that lol
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 03:29:35 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1917 on: March 18, 2021, 06:33:51 pm »

Boy, was this a thing.  I won't go into details too much for those are interested in watching it to see what's new, but Zack Snyder's Justice League isn't all that different from the last one.  Sure, it's like 2+ hours longer, but you'd be surprised how little the story is truly changed.  Like if you saw the first Justice League and went "There's no much here for me", there isn't much that will change your mind in the Snyder Cut.  This version mostly just extends all the scenes, alters some stuff with Steppenwolf, brings back Darkseid who was originally supposed to be in the film more, and retool the finale, with some bonus new story stuff strewn about.  I felt like with Snyder fans, they were touting how this movie was gonna be so completely different and amazing, that it would be unrecognizable to what Whedon did, but the majority of the previous Justice League is here, there isn't much cut out, Snyder just added back in a lot.

In a number of ways, it is a better movie, the Superman stuff is mostly better and he never looks like he had a botched plastic surgery, and the finale is definitely better, but "Snyder's Vision" seemed to mostly be he just wanted to people to say "Fuck and Shit" more and add a bunch of blood, along with making it look visually unappealing like he did with Man of Steel and Batman v Superman with how washed out the colors are.  He also never justified the 4 hours of movie here, like Cyborg getting more of an arc is great, but there's so much they could chop down out of this movie to shorten it up and be better off for it.

I don't think I'd recommend either version of Justice League.  The new one is generally better, but also unnecessarily long and some of the story stuff isn't great.  The old one is less dark and edgy and a snappier watch, but has some bad stuff like how Superman looks and some weak story beats.  In the end, it's still all Snyder DCEU stuff and it's not working for me, this cut of Justice League didn't suddenly turn me into a fan of his work, and I still think he was a bad choice for being in charge of this stuff.  I don't know where they are going with stuff after this, I think they sorta setup something here for the upcoming Flash, they clearly want to do more with these characters, but Affleck is gone, I know there was a rumor of a new Superman, I pretty much never want to see Wonder Woman again after WW84...who knows at this point...

Sidenote, this movie made me dislike WW84 some more, because I realized that in that movie, they make it out that she learns to fly in it, but they don't realize that doesn't work with BVS and Justice League's story that take place decades later, meaning she apparently forgot during that time that she had this ability to fly, which would've been useful in a couple scenes lol

After all this DCEU stuff I've been watching, I felt I need a palette cleanser, going back to more fun stuff that I really enjoy, and with Falcon and the Winter Soldier starting tomorrow, I figured I'd jump back into my Marvel marathon I put on pause with Guardians of the Galaxy 2.  Still just a fun movie, good story, great writing, good humor, even still manages to choke me up a little at the end.  Just a great watch and I can't wait for them to get back to the third movie or perhaps in the upcoming Thor film.

Was in binge mode as I did bead art, so also went through Thor Ragnarok, another real fun flick.  It's basically just more of what Guardians was doing, which was fine, it gave Thor more of a personality beyond "Stoic Warrior", gave him some flavor.  I feel like the only real negative I have with this film is how tonally different the film can be.  You have the goofball humor, but also all of Thor's friends are killed off real quick...We get a Hulk being naked joke, but then also the movie is about the annihilation of Asgard...Hilarious bits between Loki and Thor, but also Odin is dead and Thor loses an eye.  It's an all around entertaining flick for sure with some great action, but there's just some moments that feel sorta hard to parse at times that I think Guardians of the Galaxy 2 handled a tad more consistently.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 06:58:37 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1918 on: March 20, 2021, 04:20:56 am »

On to Black Panther and it's still just a fine flick.  It never wowed me when it first came out, I thought it was among the more average of the MCU films, and I still mostly think that, and I feel like it's sorta because the story repeats itself abit with T'Challa losing his powers in ritual combat, and then getting them back and seeing his father, just to have it happen again later, and I feel like it's abit of a plot hole that T'Challa never calls out Killmonger for bringing the body of Klaue to Wakanda.  That aspect is used against him to get Michonne's husband (I forget her character name and the only other role of hers I know is in Walking Dead lol) on his side to support his rule, and unless I missed something it's never brought up that Killmonger took him from his custody.  Otherwise, it's not a bad film at all, and it's still incredibly tragic to have lost Chadwick Boseman, he was fantastic in the role.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1919 on: March 20, 2021, 12:07:43 pm »

On to Black Panther and it's still just a fine flick.  It never wowed me when it first came out, I thought it was among the more average of the MCU films, and I still mostly think that, and I feel like it's sorta because the story repeats itself abit with T'Challa losing his powers in ritual combat, and then getting them back and seeing his father, just to have it happen again later, and I feel like it's abit of a plot hole that T'Challa never calls out Killmonger for bringing the body of Klaue to Wakanda.  That aspect is used against him to get Michonne's husband (I forget her character name and the only other role of hers I know is in Walking Dead lol) on his side to support his rule, and unless I missed something it's never brought up that Killmonger took him from his custody.  Otherwise, it's not a bad film at all, and it's still incredibly tragic to have lost Chadwick Boseman, he was fantastic in the role.

I feel the same about this one as I do Aquaman: Visually stunning movie. But average story (though not a bad one).