Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275741 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1920 on: March 21, 2021, 01:08:41 am »
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.  Another perfectly fine entry.  Nothing really stood out about it it.  probably a downside of watching the entire series in 2 months.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 09:00:12 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #1921 on: March 21, 2021, 04:54:33 am »

Into the top end Marvel here with Infinity War, still enjoy this movie just as much as I did before, they just nail this big ensemble film, with all these different stories going on, all coalescing into an ending that I remember left people just dumbstruck by the end of it, which is not what you expect when you go to a Marvel movie and how raucous it can be.  Exciting, great big action scenes, just enough humor strewn about to keep things light when they need to be.  Just a good film.

Dunkirk was an interesting watch as it sorta feels less like a full movie and more like one really long finale.  The battle is over, there's no taking anything back, all that is left is to try and evacuate.  Because of that, it feels a tad oddly paced since there's no normal movie structure, it's told from 3 points in the timeframe before eventually combining at a very harrowing moment and then splitting apart again.  I wouldn't call the film "exciting" like you could Saving Private Ryan, Fury, or 1917, it's more to just have a viewpoint into this even in history and what some of the soldiers went through.

« Reply #1922 on: March 22, 2021, 09:01:57 am »
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S..  Direct sequel to G. Against Mecha G.  I think I preferred this one a little bit more, even if Akane is better character than Chujo.  Maybe it was the kick ass Mothra sequence at the beginning?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 08:27:47 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #1923 on: March 23, 2021, 02:17:52 am »
What movies are folks interested in coming up?  New stuff lately has been a mixed bag, WW84 was butts, Snyder's Justice League was...better and worse than I expecting, Raya was nice, and Monster Hunter was also butts, but I think there's some good stuff on the horizon.  There's a few others I'm interested in, I'm just waiting on trailers mostly before I go all in.

Godzilla vs Kong - My most anticipated movie this year, I loved King of the Monsters, I'm picking up the 4k version of the 2014 film which they completely improved the visuals of so it's much lighter with all those super dark scenes that are hard to follow, and Pacific Rim: The Black was good, so I'm kinda on a big high for this film and it's out in a week!

Mortal Kombat - After the trailer for this, I'm on board.  I was never a huge fan of the original as others have fonder memories of it, I thought it was just kind of an okay flick, even for the time, but I think stuff is looking fairly good for this and I'm curious to see if they can really nail that feel of modern Mortal Kombat with it.  After Monster Hunter, I need a good video game based movie lol

Black Widow - I don't think this will be one of the great Marvel films, but I haven't really come across a Marvel film I thought was outright bad, and it's actually been almost 2 years since the last MCU film, so it'll be nice to see them come back.

Army of the Dead - Zack Snyder is a director I have only liked one movie with and it has nothing to do with his handling of the DCEU or 300, probably his most well known stuff, it is instead Dawn of the Dead.  I remembered for the time that it was a fun zombie flick and an entertaining remake even if it didn't share a lot with the original outside of the mall setting, but it's one of those films where I like both the original and the remake.  So him going back to that kind of stuff, being a heist film set during a zombie outbreak, I'm on board.  I think his vision for the DCEU is bad, but his style can work for other things, so hopefully it's something here.

Suicide Squad - The first one was awful, I do not care about the "Ayer Cut" people are pushing, it's not a good movie lol I'm only on board with this because it feels like they are really embracing the comic attitude of things, something I've been dying to see more of from the DCEU, and it has James Gunn, who has done great stuff.  Hopefully it is a winner.

« Reply #1924 on: March 23, 2021, 08:33:05 am »
My first rewatch of Godzilla: Final Wars in at least a decade.  What a totally early 2000s movie this is.  It's got the plot of a Showa film with the sensibilities of that era.  It overstays its welcome by about 15 minutes, and edges on being unwatchably cringe-worthy, but is pretty entertaining.  Dropped it a couple of spots, but it held up better than I expected.

And that is it for my journey through all of the live action G films (except for All Monsters Attack), with some extras.  There were only a couple that I actively disliked, with most of them hovering around a 6.5/7 out of 10.

Current ranking:

• Shin Godzilla
  • Godzilla (1954)
  • Godzilla (2014)
  • King Kong (1933)
  • Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
  • Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
  • Godzilla vs. Biollante
  • Godzilla vs. Desoroyah
  • Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
  • Mothra vs. Godzilla
  • Mothra
  • Invasion of Astro-Monster
  • Kong: Skull Island
  • Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
  • Destroy All Monsters
  • Godzilla 2000 - American Version
  • Godzilla vs. Mothra
  • The Return of Godzilla
  • Godzilla: Final Wars
  • Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
  • Godzilla vs. Gigan
  • Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
  • Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
  • Godzilla, King of the Monsters
  • King Kong (2005)
  • Terror of Mechagodzilla
  • Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
  • Godzilla vs. Hedorah
  • Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
  • Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla
  • Godzilla Raids Again
  • King Kong vs. Godzilla - American Version
  • Godzilla (1998)
  • Godzilla vs. Megalon
  • Son of Godzilla
  • Rebirth of Mothra

« Reply #1925 on: March 24, 2021, 02:09:08 am »

Did my Legendary Godzilla watch tonight to get ready for next week, as I picked up Godzilla 2014 in 4k, which absolutely improves the visuals from the previous Blu-Ray, the dark scenes in particular being brightened up quite noticeably so the nighttime stuff is way more watchable.  I've watched this one a few times since release and I still like it, it's got its issues, Bryan Cranston had no real reason to die, he's not only a great actor, but I think the character should've had his redemption, learning the truth, and went on to be with Monarch.  Of course the biggest issue is that there are no real fights shown in the movie till the end and even then, it's chopped up.  We get our Hawaii reveal and we should've had a big awesome fight right there.   There's a lot of cutting away from the finale too, not really giving us a whole lot of great action beats.  That being said, I still like it, the atmosphere is real good, there's stuff that is still very striking, and most of what I wanted was fixed with King of the Monsters.

And much like the previous film, my view has not changed on Godzilla: King of the Monsters since it's release and I still consider it one of my favorite Godzilla films.  Lots of great monster action, more cool monsters, lots of great stuff going on.  It is not perfect, it's story is abit sloppy, as they Oxygen Destroyer is a neat nod to the original, but it's completely out of nowhere.  The other issue is that Charles Dance is setup as a big villain alongside Emma, but after Ghidorah wakes up, he's basically completely unimportant to the plot, which I mean does sorta make sense, Ghidorah becomes the big bad, but still, a character that seemed so important at the start, is mostly sidelined.  Otherwise it's so awesome, the first big fight again Ghidorah is cool, Rodan is awesome, could've used more Mothra, and of course everything with the third act is real good.  I'm so pumped for Godzilla vs Kong now.

« Reply #1926 on: March 24, 2021, 03:36:53 pm »
Taxi Driver

Pretty underwhelming. A lot of meaningless scenes. A lot of it felt like a waste of time. The Warriors is a far superior film for gritty night life in late 70s NYC.

« Reply #1927 on: March 25, 2021, 03:56:56 am »

In a big time giant monster mood with Godzilla vs Kong coming up, so along with a planned rewatch of the two Pacific Rim movies, I'm also doing Rampage, which is a favorite of mine.  This isn't a thinking man's giant monster film at all, it's turn your brain off and watch a giant wolf, alligator, and gorilla cause some chaos while The Rock plays an action hero badass where not even a gunshot to the stomach slows him down even slightly.  It's also surprisingly violent and bloody, like they could've just easily made this a PG rated film by cutting out a few things and it wouldn't have hurt the movie at all really, but it certainly feels very "extra" because of it.  This one actually did well, so I kinda hope they could do a sequel some day lol
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 04:02:22 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1928 on: March 31, 2021, 05:52:40 pm »

Finally get to watch Godzilla vs Kong, been waiting for so long and it didn't really disappoint.  It's fun, has some big, exciting, action, some cool locations, and a great finale.  I won't put any real details right now because it just released, so this will stay mostly spoiler free.  Overall it's a pretty solid film, though I think my only real complaints is that some parts don't feel like they spend quite enough time with it and that I would've liked to see more monsters in this.  It's also a very Kong-centric film, which is fine being that he's a creature that can show more emotion compared to Godzilla and he does good with stuff with the humans that can't be done with Godzilla.

*EDIT*
I think my listing for the Legendary stuff right now is...

1 - Godzilla: King of the Monsters
2 - Pacific Rim
3 - Godzilla vs Kong
4 - Kong: Skull Island
5 - Pacific Rim: The Black
6 - Godzilla
7 - Pacific Rim: Uprising
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 04:31:51 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1929 on: March 31, 2021, 09:14:16 pm »
Also Godzilla vs. Kong for me, but it is probably my least favorite of the MonsterVerse, coming in just under KotM.  It is super fun, but there is a lot of stuff that just had me scratching my head and going "But what?  Why?" and boat load of size inconsistency stuff - things that probably wouldn't have bothered me in the Showa movies, but the MonsterVerse has tried to steer away from that fun lunacy.  Also some really bad CG in a few spot that really jarred me - nothing matches guy in suit for a visceral feeling.

« Reply #1930 on: April 01, 2021, 04:17:47 am »
I don't know if we'll get anymore Monsterverse happening after this, but there's so much they could do really at this point.

A possible movie to exist next should be one of three things for me...The first would be "Kong: Hollow Earth" which is that Monarch with the help of Kong are exploring the Hollow Earth, trying to see if anymore of Kong's kind exist, new threats emerging, and having a greater understanding of the ancient civilization.  Maybe their study of things ends up causing a creature kept contained to re-emerge and it could be a completely redesigned Megalon, being a nod to the monsters original subterranean origins and gives Kong a real good one on one monster fight.  Also give me Kong fighting a giant T-Rex lol

The second would be a global battle royal type idea, "Godzilla: Total War", where something is riling up all the titans around the world, not dissimilar to Ghidorah in KOTM, though not in a controlled way, and we have certain monsters fighting for territory, lets us actually get badass action with all those Titans they revealed in KOTM, so we get those monsters fighting each other along with Godzilla stepping in to do what he can, along with a new Mothra who gets a bigger part, and Monarch who has developed more anti-titan weaponry to deal with the Titans.  The cause of this chaos? Another creature from outer space appears, giving us Gigan as the big threat halfway through.  The end of this could tease the possibility of aliens planning an invasion, which was a hallmark of old school Godzilla, though done better as it was almost always goofy in those movies lol

The third movie is my dream movie and that is "Pacific Rim x Godzilla". 

The Jaeger's are certainly too small to fight all of the properly sized Titans, they are about 250 feet tall roughly, which makes them a good bit smaller than Kong and Godzilla, but they could just introduce a newly created Jaeger that is bigger to make up for this.  The story wouldn't even really be that hard to figure out, the Pacific Rim universe is built around crazy space-time folding portals that connect Earth to the aliens planet (I thought it was a dimensional thing, but I was wrong) and just have it be that there is now a fissure that leads to the Godzilla reality.  After a fight with Godzilla damages the Jaeger, they join up with Monarch to fix the Jaeger, and have Kaiju come through the fissure that threatens this Earth and so we get Titans fighting Kaiju, the Jaeger stepping in when possible, and the finale being a big blowout battle with Godzilla, the Jaeger, and the big main bad Kaiju, that ends with the Jaeger and Kaiju pushed back through the portal, closed by Godzilla's atomic breath and the Jaeger finishes off the Kaiju on the Pacific Rim side of the fissure.  Would be my dream movie lol

The Monsterverse just makes me so happy.  If this is as far as it goes, I still got two Pacific Rim movies, a continuing Pacific Rim anime (Second season confirmed), 2 Godzilla films, a Kong film, and proper Godzilla vs Kong flick.  I'm of course going to want more, this my favorite type of movies to watch and I could just eat them up all day...even if they are Pacific Rim Uprising lol

« Reply #1931 on: April 20, 2021, 01:11:32 pm »
Nomadland - Easy to see why it's the BP frontrunner.  My favorite 2020 film at this point, as well.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie - 25th anniversary!  Can't believe it.  I was cackling just as much on this viewing as on my first.

covfefe2020

« Reply #1932 on: April 20, 2021, 01:34:51 pm »
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

« Reply #1933 on: April 22, 2021, 08:13:19 am »
Another Round was terrific.  Nice to see Mads Mikkelson not be a monster in something for the first time in a while.

« Reply #1934 on: April 23, 2021, 06:22:51 am »

I went in with very reserved expectations, because as a video game based movie, most of these are rarely good and I can easily count on one hand those I like.  The original Mortal Kombat I don't hold in high regard particularly, even with nostalgia, I remember being okay with it when I was younger because I love martial arts films, but it never really held up for me, so there was a lot of hope that this movie would be a great way to bring back MK anew especially with the cool new games they've been doing and I think they did a pretty good job.  Visually, action wise, I think they nail it, though less cuts in the fights would've been better.  Characters are recognizable, the story is here, and it all feels very Mortal Kombat.  It's interesting to look at what this movie does, the new stuff it adds, what it leads to with a potential sequel that I'm all on board for, and then compare it to Monster Hunter, that fails with the new stuff and story it adds, setting up for a sequel that no one will want in a very embarrassing way. 

Mortal Kombat just does things right and I'd absolutely recommend it if you are into the games.

And finished Falcon and the Winter Soldier.  I think overall it's good, it doesn't have that unique dynamic of Wandavision that made it so interesting, it's more of a standard espionage thriller, but there wasn't too much that bothered me.  I thought Carlie, the main threat of the show was a little weak, not that she needed to be cartoonishly evil or anything, her goals are clear, she's just kinda basic when you compare her to someone like Baron Zemo.  Sam and Bucky are of course the draw and I dig their dynamic together.  Looking forward to Loki next.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 06:18:21 pm by kamikazekeeg »