Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275972 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1950 on: June 06, 2021, 08:21:04 am »
Stalked by my Doctor - Big ole slice of WTF Lifetime made-for-TV movie.
Ice Cream Man - Not nearly as fun as I remembered it being, but still an ok way to pass the time.
Midnight Special - Great cast, great premise, just goes on a bit too long.
Without Remorse - Generic Saturday afternoon action fare.  Not bad, nothing special.
Death of a Cheerleader - Good story, terrible acting.
Hot Fuzz - Not my favorite Edgar Wright, but probably his best.
The Living Daylights - Dalton's first outing as Bond is fine.  I love the soundtrack.
Licence to Kill - Much better showcase for Dalton.  Feels really similar to the Craig films, and in the moments when it doesn't you can tell they were just trying to make it more "Bond".
Beverly Hills Cop - Super solid the whole way through.  Real fun.
Beverly Hills Cop II - Better plot, but a lot more loose in the actual storytelling.  They let Eddie vamp too much.  Still a good time.
Deliverance - RIP Ned Beatty.  Well constructed and paced thriller.  Should be remembered for more than just the memes.
The Orange Years - Good but shallow documentary about the halcyon days of Nickelodeon.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 08:13:40 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #1951 on: June 19, 2021, 06:18:58 pm »

Watched Godzilla vs Kong again for my birthday and I still had a lot of fun with it.  There's definite gaps in the story that should've been handled better, the son of Serizawa aspect is basically ignored, the podcaster with the two kids kinda bumbling their way into the Apex stuff is a little weak, and I think there needed to be a lot more with Monarch, but all the action is great, and this is basically a Kong 2 film with how much it focuses on him.

« Reply #1952 on: June 22, 2021, 07:33:44 am »
Hadn't seen Virtuosity in over 20 years.  What a mess.  But Russell Crowe is having a blast and makes it worth it.

Interstellar - Finally watched it.  Abit overlong and self-indulgent, but really good.  Technically impressive and the score is a incredible.

The Descendants - Great performance from Clooney, and I loved the way it bounced between tones.  Definitely not for everyone, though.

Raya and the Last Dragon - Totally fine mid-tier Disney.  Beautiful but could have use a bit more script polish.

Boss Level - Timeloop action flick.  I love Frank Grillo, but he just wasn't up to the task of everything this movie was asking of him.

The Mitchells vs. the Machines - Hilarious and action packed.  Really good, and held back from being truly great from taking a bit long to get to the plot

The River Wild - Hadn't seen this since maybe 01-02. Helluva cast, beautiful locales, great direction. Biggest issue is that it takes a little too long to get moving, bit once it does it isa great thriller.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 01:32:11 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #1953 on: July 04, 2021, 06:44:56 pm »
Watched The Tomorrow War and enjoyed it more than I thought, I sorta thought it might just be one of those "straight to dvd" sort of flicks perhaps, but it's better than that for sure.  Some good action, the aliens looked cool, the plot was interesting enough, though there's a huge logical inconsistency with the plot, that doesn't have to do with the time travel stuff funny enough, but the whole concept of the draft and sending people to the future war. 

Unless I missed something, they don't explain why anyone should go to the future to fight the war.  Sure, there's a threat in the future, everyone is dying, their kids are dying, but why would anyone go fight a war that has no effect on anyone now?  It's a future war, even if the war was won, all that would mean is that the people in the past would have to fight it anyways again, this is not a future threat that could affect the past.  There's of course a justification later in the movie as to why anyone is still fighting even though billions are dead, but no one in the past knows this, at least not the general public.  Sure the draft is threatened by family being punished, but if enough people say "Screw that", the draft isn't gonna happen.

Again, maybe I missed something in the initial dialogue that would hand wave this all away, though it still feels like a problem, but it doesn't hurt the movie as otherwise it's just a reasonable alien threat film.

pzeke

« Reply #1954 on: July 04, 2021, 08:46:01 pm »
[...] Unless I missed something, they don't explain why anyone should go to the future to fight the war.  Sure, there's a threat in the future, everyone is dying, their kids are dying, but why would anyone go fight a war that has no effect on anyone now?  It's a future war, even if the war was won, all that would mean is that the people in the past would have to fight it anyways again, this is not a future threat that could affect the past.  There's of course a justification later in the movie as to why anyone is still fighting even though billions are dead, but no one in the past knows this, at least not the general public.  Sure the draft is threatened by family being punished, but if enough people say "Screw that", the draft isn't gonna happen.

Meh, it's a time travel story, so why overthink it?

Anyway, I haven't seen the movie—and in all honestly, the trailer didn't really do a good job in making me want to see it—but, quite frankly, the darn thing looks like a bootleg version of Edge of Tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 09:05:15 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #1955 on: July 05, 2021, 12:28:52 am »
Went on a little bit of a marathon today:

Sneakers
Jackass: The Movie
Idiocracy
The Muppet Movie

pzeke

« Reply #1956 on: July 05, 2021, 03:22:16 am »

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #1957 on: July 05, 2021, 07:30:00 pm »
A Quiet Place Part II is basically a Last of Us movie and I'm totally here for it.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #1958 on: July 07, 2021, 08:55:25 pm »
I watched a couple episodes for "Don't toy with me, Miss Nagatoro".

It's kinda generic but I like it.
I have a thing for slices of life since nowadays the only shonen I like it's Yu-Gi-Oh shows.

The animation is pretty good and I like the faceless humour, it's also kinda cute the female lead "Nagatoro" bullies the other protagonist because she find him interesting and above average.

Not bad, it's for chill and soothe the stress.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 02:18:55 am by mrkonasoni »
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

pzeke

« Reply #1959 on: July 08, 2021, 01:02:13 am »
Maybe you'll like Great Teacher Onizuka...

mrkonasoni

« Reply #1960 on: July 08, 2021, 02:16:42 am »

I heard that one is great, so i will plan about watching it.

I kinda wanted to watch Miss Kobayashi Dragon Maid because it actually has a spanish dub, there also a bunch I liked but I don't remember the name.

I just think they are good for burn time, a couple laughs and maybe a cliche but wholesome morale message.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

« Reply #1961 on: July 08, 2021, 08:39:25 am »
Godzilla: Singular Point was pretty good / fun until the last 3-4 episodes.  It got too wrapped up in it's weird sci-fi time travel AI / goobledygook and ended up being for more convoluted than it needed to be.  Calling it Godzilla was also just a name recognition thing, it was really more of Jet Jaguar: Singular Point.  And I'm not one to usually comment on how little Godzilla shows up in his properties, but he wasn't really any kind of driving force in this one, and every other kaiju got way more screentime.

pzeke

« Reply #1962 on: July 08, 2021, 10:24:49 am »

I heard that one is great, so i will plan about watching it.

I kinda wanted to watch Miss Kobayashi Dragon Maid because it actually has a spanish dub, there also a bunch I liked but I don't remember the name.

I just think they are good for burn time, a couple laughs and maybe a cliche but wholesome morale message.

Yeah, it's good; I think you'll like it. There are some episodes with Spanish subs on YouTube.

Have you seen Ramna 1/2? That one you'll definitely find in Spanish.

I would also recommend Tenchi Muyo!, films included.

« Reply #1963 on: July 09, 2021, 06:21:15 am »
Our education system is just so broken, it's a shame we aren't teaching the real history of this country!  Good thing we got a movie to accurately depict it with America: The Motion Picture!

This was dumb and ridiculous and I enjoyed it.  Aside from the obvious Archer vibes (I believe it's the studio that does that), I was also getting like Venture Bros, kinda that general feel of Adult Swim like Metalocalypse, where it's just absolute nonsense, violent, and crude.  It's basically taking American history, putting it in a blender, and then getting a drunk guy to try and memorize it and retell it to others.  It's super stupid, but I don't know, I liked how absurd it was.

« Reply #1964 on: July 09, 2021, 09:51:39 am »
The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie from 2004.

I don't know how I haven't seen it from start to finish before. A lot of it seemed familiar but I don't remember ever sitting down and watching it in full.

Pretty entertaining, I really liked how the live-action scenes were used. It probably would have been a good way to wrap up the series but of course that didn't happen.