Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 279057 times)

telly

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1995 on: September 21, 2021, 09:42:49 am »
I watched Gone Girl recently. Actually really enjoyed it even though the ending wasn't the best.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

covfefe2020

« Reply #1996 on: September 21, 2021, 11:18:20 am »
Watched Borat with friends, I think I liked it better as 5 minute youtube clips...
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

« Reply #1997 on: September 23, 2021, 02:32:40 am »
Started into Star Wars Visions and it's definitely a treat. 

First episode is fantastic, easily my favorite, the throwback to old Japanese samurai cinema, even being mostly black & white other than certain powered items is awesome, and the story has super interesting potential.  Give me a full series of this and a Black Series toyline right now lol

Second episode was okay as just a short goofy story, not my favorite art style with the chibi characters, but I didn't mind it, having it be about a band, I'm abit of a sucker for that lol

Third episode I was greatly anticipating due to it being Trigger, as it looks like Promare meets Star Wars, but was honestly a little disappointed.  I think it's because it feels more rushed than the rest, it also didn't hit the level of craziness I was expecting from Trigger.  It has it's moments and a nice nod to the Last Jedi, but it didn't feel like Trigger really gave their all for it.

Fourth had a more reserved story going, but I liked it, it had some good visuals, and abit of action towards the end, but they can't all be action heavy.

Fifth is potentially my second favorite episode, they really nailed everything with a cool story, some good action, and has some great potential as a series setting it well past anything in the established canon.

Sixth is a throw back to old anime like Astro Boy, which kinda makes it feel like the least Star Wars'y of the bunch because of that art style and maybe my least liked, some of that because I felt the audio design was abit unfinished and wasn't super into the story.  Not bad, none of these are, but I wasn't into it.

Seventh episode is another Trigger episode, which is surprising, I didn't notice there were studios that did more than one.  Also surprising as it's maybe the least Trigger feeling thing I've seen from them.  It's pretty straightforward in terms of action and visuals, but I would say I liked it better than the other Trigger episode as it feels a little nicer put together.

Eighth is definitely rivaling the fifth in terms of being my second favorite, it feels so fleshed out and visually it's awesome and I love that it's not a standard human character and another that would make for an amazing full series.

Ninth episode has some unique art style to it that I like, compared to the Astro Boy throwback episode they also did that I didn't.  This one feels a lot more like what I would expect of Science Saru who did stuff like Ping Pong, Devilman Crybaby, and Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken.  Good story for this one too, it wasn't what I was expecting.

Overall, this is maybe some of the freshest Star Wars media I've seen since the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series.  There's absolutely been Star Wars media I've liked since then, but so much is trying to just be classic Star Wars, which is good, but there's so much much more that can be done with Star Wars that is new and exciting and I kinda hope this is the start of that.  I feel like the only thing I wished out of these episodes is one that wasn't Jedi based.  Like I understand getting the chance to do official Star Wars media, you want to utilize Jedi being the hallmark, but I'm also someone that loves the more grounded aspects of the universe, such as what we have with a lot of the Mandalorian.  If we get another series of Visions, getting some stuff like that would be real dope.

« Reply #1998 on: September 24, 2021, 05:20:00 am »
Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog is good. It's mainly a Courage movie which is probably what most people would want from it.

« Reply #1999 on: September 30, 2021, 09:37:05 pm »
Watched David Lynch's Dune last night.  Still a mess, but a fascinating one.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2000 on: September 30, 2021, 10:47:31 pm »
Watched David Lynch's Dune last night.  Still a mess, but a fascinating one.

I love that movie. An early sci-fi experience for me.

ferraroso

« Reply #2001 on: October 01, 2021, 04:02:23 am »
Just came back home from watching the new 007.

Despite the generic title (No Time to Die), it was a pretty entertaining movie with some bold choices for a Bond flick.
Recommended.

leshark

« Reply #2002 on: October 01, 2021, 05:48:02 pm »
Saw "Josee to Tora to Sakana-tachi" at a movie theathre today. While it's, in a sense, a classic romance story, it still feels somewhat fresh, with a plot twist that was rather predictable, but still caught me by surprise, and the characters certainly are believable. An interesting thing about this anime is that the main characters are of about my age - most animes are either about high schoolers or ~30+ adults. The art style is nothing special, but is enough to look good and don't get in the way of watching the movie. My only issue with this one is that the ending felt rather abrupt. Still, worth a watch if you don't expect anything extraordinary.
:)

« Reply #2003 on: October 02, 2021, 02:04:51 am »
Venom: Let There Be Carnage was not very good and I liked the first quite a bit.

Carnage escaping prison scene that was released on the PlayStation YouTube channel for free is probably the best scene in the movie.

« Reply #2004 on: October 02, 2021, 08:02:17 am »
Venom: Let There Be Carnage was not very good and I liked the first quite a bit.

To be fair, the first one was also not very good, yet I also liked it quite a bit.

aliensstudios

« Reply #2005 on: October 02, 2021, 01:48:04 pm »
Batman Forever. I haven't seen it since I was a kid and was hoping it would have aged well... it definitely hasn't.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2006 on: October 02, 2021, 10:15:10 pm »

SPOILER-FREE

Just got back from Venom 2: Let There Be Carnage.

I loved it. I'll admit, though, that during the first part of the movie, before Carnage showed, they did lean a bit heavily into the odd couple-type humor between Eddie and the Symbiote. That aside, though, Carnage was really cool. They didn't skimp on the action & violence, and kept Cletus Kasady's psychotic behavior intact.

And if you go see it, be sure to stay for the after-credits scene, it's pretty exciting!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 10:19:12 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #2007 on: October 05, 2021, 03:00:03 am »

Just got done watching Evangelion 3.0+1.0 and I had a good time with it.  Could not explain even slightly the story, it's as ridiculous and crazy as it always was, though I appreciate this ending in general.  I was never fond of the original Eva ending...endings...They were confusing and depressing and I'm REALLY bad about understanding metaphorical, philosophical, basically anything that isn't fairly obvious just doesn't do a lot for me.  What I always liked about the Eva series was more the action, the character stuff, the setting, the world, and I think this one has some pretty good stuff to it.  Overall by the end, it really feels like Hideaki Anno kinda finally got to put an end to the series proper, hopefully feeling better about it than he might have during the series original go.

« Reply #2008 on: October 06, 2021, 07:33:02 am »
Spectre - Far better than I remembered, but still has pacing problems in the back half and an overly convoluted and also convenient third act.

Now that October is here, I'm in the the throes of my Halloween-A-Thon, and here's where I'm at so far:

Fear Street Trilogy - Middle one is easily the best, last one is the worst.
Malignant - Totally batshit crazy.  If it had better actors I could see this becoming an all-time classic, but there isn't a single compelling performance here.
Jennifer's Body - A bit too steeped in 2009, but once you get past that it's pretty fun.

tripredacus

« Reply #2009 on: October 06, 2021, 09:32:37 am »
I watched The Warriors for the second time, this time on DVD. Still don't really care about this movie, don't see why it is so beloved.