Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280370 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2040 on: November 24, 2021, 08:37:27 pm »
Needed something random to watch while I was doing stuff, so I put on "Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway".  Overall a well done show, though I wouldn't super recommend it for folks who don't know the story well, like me, because it's a sequel to Char's Counterattack from the late 80's lol Its not a standalone thing, and there's not a whole lot of Gundam stuff going on outside of one part in the middle and one towards the end.  It's not bad though, it's abit more of a political drama, but nothing as heavy as like a Ghost in the Shell where people are just espousing political ideology and what not.  The only thing I didn't like was the girl that is involved through the whole story, I never really understood what she was about or why she stayed involved, because she adds nothing to the plot.  Maybe she'll matter in continuations after this? I don't know, but she seemed really pointless.

« Reply #2041 on: November 27, 2021, 08:02:21 am »
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - More slick and cynical than GP, but also creeping towards more convoluted.  Rebecca Ferguson is electric, though.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure - Still an absolute delight.

Flight of the Navigator - Has aged shockingly well.  Maybe a bit sluggish in the pacing department, and the lead kid is just a blank cipher, but the themes and ideas are actually pretty dark and advanced for mid-80s kids' fare.

« Reply #2042 on: November 27, 2021, 12:57:17 pm »
Watched Jungle Cruise the other day, the new Rock movie and it was nice bit of fun. Nothing amazing, it's the Rock doing the same thing he always does, which is funny when you get deeper into the movie, but it kinda reminded me of older adventure films, even being kind of dark for a family film when the supernatural stuff starts up.  Good family film to watch.

telly

« Reply #2043 on: November 29, 2021, 10:22:51 am »
Watched Kurt Vonnegut: Unstuck in Time on Friday. Wonderful documentary that really ran the gamut of the writer's life experiences. Was great to see it here in Indy since he was born here.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2044 on: November 29, 2021, 11:23:35 am »
Resident Evil Welcome to Raccoon City

Good movie. Definitely more horror-leaning and less actiony. Lots of gore, if you're a gorehound like myself. It also sounds very wet and crunchy, as my wife put it, who was hiding behind her sweater for most of the movie. It had lot's of fan-service for fans of the games and was much more in line with the stories of the first two games. It's not gonna win any Oscars, but it was a good time. I enjoyed it.

If I had any complaint it's that they tried too much in one movie. It tried to tell the story of both the first and second games in one movie when it probably should have been 2 movies.

« Reply #2045 on: November 29, 2021, 12:25:13 pm »
I watched a lot of movies this weekend - those last three and also:

The Hunger Games - Better than I remembered.
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Best in the series.
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 - The greyest dystopia I've ever seen.
Ghostbusters: Afterlife - Wish this had a better structure, and a much better script.
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 - Splitting the last book in half was a bad idea.

« Reply #2046 on: November 30, 2021, 12:32:55 am »
A bronx tale

The bronx tale is a symphony of scenes more than a movie, it is visual poetry, and it is better than mere incandescent bulbs and felt tip pens on script papers making another little screen piece. This is a once in a lifetime movie. Or in the words of Sonny, you get 3 great ones. They come every 10 years like the great fighters. This is one of those movies. And another "mob" entrance into the stunning Robert Dinero filmography. It combines the polarizing parental figures of famed and infamous local mob boss Sonny, who takes "C" under his wing giving him in his words 2 educations, one from school and one from the streets which will make him twice as smart, but this beautifully directed glass half empty versus glass half full diologue unravels like ribbon off the ballroom waltz of rich aristocrats.  Because you have C's father Lorenzo who is a bus driver who teaches C the ways of an honest wage, how picking yourself up by the collar and giving back to the community is the way of a real man. C has to use these two conflicting lifestyles to not only deal with biracial love of falling for a black first love in a perdominantly prejudice Italian landscape, but also his 3 friends who are not only bad influences but also both racist and chuevanistic.

The movie has a lot to offer and it does it early and fast. But almost every scene of this movie is a life lesson, a double meaning. Is it better to be feared or loved? Is it better to make dishonest money by the fist full or honest money by the pinch worth? These things and more are tackled in what is seemingly a semi comedic but mostly action packed mob movie, but it is so much more. It makes the viewer leave wanting just 20 minutes more. The ending? So riveting. Robert Di Nero takes on the role of the movie that isn't the tough guy or the mob boss which is a change of pace for him but just shows the scope of his acting prowess. No character actor wise is outshined though. All are convincing. How a movie can tackle the inner workings of a man with so much power, so much respect, combined with segregation between italian and black neighborhoods, all culminating with farther son life lessons and playing the game of life? All in under 2 hours is beyond me. It is just that good. Some people say every movie is the best movie of all time. I have seen maybe 150 movies in the past few years but this is the one. Love at first sight type of movie. And to me.  It is the greatest movie ever made.

100/100
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 12:36:08 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #2047 on: December 12, 2021, 10:49:18 pm »
The Matrix - Break out the trenchcoats and impractical sunglasses.  It's time to go back to where it all began.  Back to The Matrix.

Home Alone - It's... fine.  John Williams and Joe Pesci carry this above a sea of similar fare.  The scene in the church totally works, though.

Luca - Much better than I expected.  Alight breezy tale that does exactly what it sets out to do... and maybe a little more.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 10:51:27 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2048 on: December 15, 2021, 04:16:33 am »
Wasn't sure if I was going to get around to them, getting abit swamped with stuff to watch lately, but I do want to go and see the new Spider-Man movie next week, so going through all of them before I do.

Spider-Man (2002) - A problem I always had with these movies is that I never really liked Tobey Maguire.  He was okay as Spider-Man, not so much Peter Parker.  The writing is fine, but I find him kinda flat and boring.  It's still that today, I feel like I'm less harsh about him, but I'm still not really enjoying him in particular.  Everyone else is fine though, Dafoe kills it as Osborn, he's absolutely the best thing about this movie.  The armored suit was never a good idea, comes across kinda cheap, like a Power Ranger villain, but Dafoe is great.  I wish they could've made the original Goblin mask idea work, there's test shots of it and it's amazing.  I don't know how they would've made it work here, but it's so cool lol The movie is overall still pretty solid and most of it holds up.  Not everything, a few scenes come off abit rough, like when he goes after Uncle Ben's killer and it turns into kind of a rough looking video game cutscene.  A good time though.

« Reply #2049 on: December 16, 2021, 10:29:49 am »
The Matrix Reloaded - Great action, but almost insufferable otherwise.
Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2 - Pretty fun when they are Jackie Chan movies, pretty atrocious when they are Chris Tucker ones.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2050 on: December 16, 2021, 11:05:52 am »
Wasn't sure if I was going to get around to them, getting abit swamped with stuff to watch lately, but I do want to go and see the new Spider-Man movie next week, so going through all of them before I do.

Spider-Man (2002) - A problem I always had with these movies is that I never really liked Tobey Maguire.  He was okay as Spider-Man, not so much Peter Parker.  The writing is fine, but I find him kinda flat and boring.  It's still that today, I feel like I'm less harsh about him, but I'm still not really enjoying him in particular.  Everyone else is fine though, Dafoe kills it as Osborn, he's absolutely the best thing about this movie.  The armored suit was never a good idea, comes across kinda cheap, like a Power Ranger villain, but Dafoe is great.  I wish they could've made the original Goblin mask idea work, there's test shots of it and it's amazing.  I don't know how they would've made it work here, but it's so cool lol The movie is overall still pretty solid and most of it holds up.  Not everything, a few scenes come off abit rough, like when he goes after Uncle Ben's killer and it turns into kind of a rough looking video game cutscene.  A good time though.

Wow. I thought the exact opposite about Maguire. He makes a great, nerdy, shy, anti-social Peter Parker. But his portayal of Spider-Man is not-so-great. Where's the one-liners? The sense of humor? And the confidence he has behind the mask?

And on the other hand Andrew Garfield had that zany confidence down for Spider-Man, but was just too cool to come off as nerdy Peter Parker.

« Reply #2051 on: December 16, 2021, 12:22:29 pm »

Wow. I thought the exact opposite about Maguire. He makes a great, nerdy, shy, anti-social Peter Parker. But his portayal of Spider-Man is not-so-great. Where's the one-liners? The sense of humor? And the confidence he has behind the mask?

And on the other hand Andrew Garfield had that zany confidence down for Spider-Man, but was just too cool to come off as nerdy Peter Parker.

I'm actually most of the way through Spider-Man 2 and I realize that I like him neither as Spider-Man or Peter Parker lol He's not quippy enough as Spider-Man and his performance as Peter Parker just comes off flat to me.  Like his behavior and the writing works, but to me there's nothing in the performance that really does it for me, I just don't like Maguire.

« Reply #2052 on: December 17, 2021, 12:20:50 am »
Spider-Man 2 is mostly on par for me with the first one I think.  While the Doc Oc stuff is good and the whole finale is pretty solid, there wasn't a lot else I loved, like Spider-Man isn't in the movie a ton since he loses his powers for a time, and I kinda hate all of the relationship stuff with MJ and Peter.  It drags so hard and it just feels like bad writing that no one just talks about how they really feel or in a way that makes sense, even taking into account Peter trying to keep MJ at arm's length so she's not in danger.  What I do like is Raimi getting to bring his style in abit more, like the hospital scene when the tentacles wake up is still genuinely pretty terrifying and is super Raimi in style.  Both are still good films, but I don't know if I'll watch them again really.

Spider-Man 3 - Holy crap, this is worst than I remember lol I know the notorious thing that everyone remembers is "Bad Peter Parker", but the whole movie is just a mess.  To go through Spider-Man 2 with MJ and Parker being all "will they, won't they", but you don't get to see them really being together and they fall apart so easily, particularly because of a stupid thing that Peter does that makes no god damn sense with Gwen Stacy, is...baffling.  I know Raimi didn't want Venom in the movie at all, and it shows, but the rest of the movie doesn't work either.  ONE thing works and that is Sandman, which sucks that he gets pushed aside for crappy stuff with Harry Goblin Jr and Brock.  Harry's stuff sucks, because they sideline him from being a threat by giving amnesia and it's super stupid.  And by the end, his butler coming out of nowhere to give an exposition dump about how his farther really died is...oof.  Also his Goblin Jr design sucks with the paintball mask and snowboard glider.

Of course, the worst stuff is everything to do with the symbiote and "Douchebag Peter Parker".  Nothing with the symbiote makes sense, I feel like Maguires acting only makes it worse, and it almost feels like Raimi was purposefully trying to sabotage things here with how he was written.  Venom doesn't even show up in the movie till nearly 2 HOURS into the film and everything to do with Venom is bad.  Topher Grace was the wrong choice for Eddie, Venom is just badly designed, and this movie just makes me sad.  It's not unwatchable and it's not the worst thing ever, but man, it's damn rough.

The Amazing Spider-Man - Had a good time with this film, I think what it does well is sell Spider-Man in a more real world scenario, as I really like Peter working up more to his abilities compared to the Raimi films where Spider-Man just kinda becomes Spider-Man right away after a slip up or two.  Peter himself is a mixed bag by Garfield.  I like him as an actor more than Maguire, but not by much, mostly because it's like he mumbles a lot.  He's still awkward and such, abit less full on nerd like with Maguire, I'm not sure on his take.  His Spider-Man gets pretty reasonable I think.  Another slight annoyance is mostly just the Lizard's design, like I understand he's half-human, but he doesn't need to literally be half-human with his face, just make him the proper Lizard.  It's weird and dumb and baffling to me with the amount of money pumped into designing him lol  Overall I liked it quite abit even if it is abit less Comic Book-y like the Raimi films were.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:57:23 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2053 on: December 18, 2021, 08:46:50 am »
Rush Hour 3 - Ugh.  Boo.
Merry In-Laws - Straight up one of the worst films I have ever seen.

« Reply #2054 on: December 18, 2021, 03:07:34 pm »
Rush Hour 3 - Ugh.  Boo.
Merry In-Laws - Straight up one of the worst films I have ever seen.

The last movie I watched was the 1st Rush Hour (The only one I've seen before) I bought the 3 movie set....my hopes are no longer high for 3 lol