Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280273 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2055 on: December 18, 2021, 07:29:51 pm »
Spider-Man: No Way Home

No spoilers, JUST GO SEE IT! You won't be disappointed.

« Reply #2056 on: December 20, 2021, 10:52:29 pm »
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a lot better than I remember it being.  Also, of the three Spider-Men, he might have my favorite suit.  It was with the first movie that I thought this suit would be perfect if it just had the big white eyes, and it does here! I also love that it looks like a suit and less of a second skin. 

Generally, I think the movie is a step up from the first one, other than I feel that there isn't enough Spider-Man...kind of a reoccurring thing with the movies at times...but I like the stuff with Gwen and Peter here, the side story stuff with his dad is interesting enough without taking up too much of the film, and while I'm still mixed on Electro, he's a pretty good threat.  I find his pre-Electro stuff a little cheesy, feels more at home in Raimi's films honestly, and I don't love his blue look, but I remembered not liking him WAY more.  Only issues I have is that final fight area at the power plant sucks, visually it gets really hard to watch being just a CG mess.  It's like watching a video game for much of it and it even dips into looking like a cartoon, like Spider-Verse.  It was not well handled even if the fight is fine.

The biggest downside to me might be Harry.  He feels injected into the film, instead of being a real part of it.  Like you could remove him and it's the same exact film with almost minimal tweaks.  His "Goblin" look SUCKS.  Technically it's better than Harry from Spider-Man 3, but that's not saying much.  It just feels dumb and looks bad and its once again a situation where I question the design ideals of big budget Hollywood flicks.  Sure, the comic Goblin...Regular, Demo, Hob, they are goofy as hell to translate realistically, but nothing they've done so far truly works.  He also throws the whole pace of the movie off.  Electro being beat is a huge win, the threat is done, and here comes Harry farting his way into the movie again to kill Gwen, because of course she dies, it was telegraphed real hard that it was gonna happen even if you don't know the comics.  Everything could've been done by Electro with his escape and with causing Gwen's death and not have Harry here or do it so Goblin is teased alongside the Sinister Six happening, rather than him just slipping in at the end to just be a dick.

I'm going to watch the Holland films next before watching the new movie on Wednesday, but I think it's gonna be real hard for me to place the films.  I thought I was gonna easily put the Raimi films over the Garfield ones, but now I'm not super sure.  We'll see soon enough once I gather my thoughts after the next two movies.

Spider-Man: Homecoming is a fun time.  Been abit since I rewatched and I thought I missed the origin story aspect more, since he was introduced in another movie and this is a continuation on that, but it doesn't bother me as much.  We still get early Spider-Man stuff, rough edges, all the awkward teen stuff going on, and really, we didn't need a third origin setup after the previous two versions.  I think I've cemented it for me that Tom Holland is my favorite Spider-Man, I feel like he does the best job for me being both Peter and Spider-Man.  I think one negative aspect might be that Peter not being the self-made hero he is kinda sucks, like the relationship between him and Stark is good, but everything hinges so much on Stark, that it is hard to see him as his own hero.  It's probably my only real negative as otherwise I dig it.  Also, probably has the most Spider-Man to it? I always want more Spider-Man in these films and they can generally be abit short on them, but not this time.  Keaton is great as Toomes too.  Just an all around good flick and I don't have any real big issues with it compared to most of the other films.

Spider-Man: Far From Home was alright, but I think I like the first movie more.  Mysterio is great, I think they nailed him and I loved the idea that he shows up as a hero to trick Parker to getting the Stark tech.  I have a lot of questions into how they make the "Elementals" work, I feel like they stretch it with the hologram tech and drones, but it's still fun.  Otherwise, I don't have a ton of love for the rest of the movie.  There's nothing bad, it's kinda just "Spider-Man's Wacky Vacation" and that is sorta it to me.  I just liked how everything came together more in the first movie, though there is fun stuff.

Ranking all the Spider-Man movies, I think my top 3 would be Spider-Man: Homecoming, Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Spider-Man 1.  Honestly it's hard to pick because kinda each series of films has their good and negatives, but I think this turned out to be a perfect spread through all three series for me.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 03:38:45 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2057 on: December 21, 2021, 08:28:17 am »
The Matrix Revolutions - Oh no, am I a Revolutions apologist now?

Presents its ideas more clearly, more concisely, and with more pathos in its first 20 minutes than Reloaded does in its entire runtime. Shame that the Zion attack is still an overlong, bloated CGI monstrosity with terrible characters, and the movie never recovers.

The reveal of impaled Trinity still gets a chuckle out of me, just like it did in theaters. One of the great all-time unintentionally hilarious moments.

« Reply #2058 on: December 22, 2021, 02:26:57 pm »
Spider-Man: No Way Home was fantastic, it went in a direction I didn't expect, but was still really good.  The narrative falls apart a little bit when you look to closely at it, but it didn't really bother me since everything was just so entertaining.  What it also sets up is pretty exciting for future Spider-Man films.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 03:39:45 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2059 on: December 23, 2021, 03:38:45 am »

Army of Thieves was actually pretty alright.  After Army of the Dead turned out to be really underwhelming, the idea that Snyder was creating this whole zombie universe thing didn't really interest me, but I thought this could just be a solid heist film on its own and it mostly was.  That's pretty much due to this film not being written or directed by Snyder, it guaranteed the film wouldn't be overblown and far too drawn out like everything he does now.  I think it's maybe a tad too long at a full 2 hours, it could've been tightened up, but overall I liked it.  The lead, who is also the director and writer, who plays Sebastian/Ludwig is very likeable...when he's not screaming lol  Did we need a prequel to Army of the Dead? Not really, but I will say that I liked this a lot more than Army of the Dead.

« Reply #2060 on: December 23, 2021, 10:20:42 pm »
Gremlins 2: The New Batch - Gets better every time I watch.  So damned funny.

Pottersville - Truly bizarre and bad Christmas film with an oddly stacked cast.  I just don't understand how this has so many big names instead of a bunch of dead-faced Canadians. You'd think that'd make it better, but somehow it doesn't.

« Reply #2061 on: December 24, 2021, 10:05:35 am »

Pottersville - Truly bizarre and bad Christmas film with an oddly stacked cast.  I just don't understand how this has so many big names instead of a bunch of dead-faced Canadians. You'd think that'd make it better, but somehow it doesn't.

Is gremlins 2 better than 1? I loved 1. I avoided 2 because sequels usually disappont me. I should give it a chance :) Also your profile you showed on the other thread is cool. I never heard of that site. I love the star rating system and laughed at "Joe Pesci didn't have to go that hard" lol. He indeed didn't but we are all glad he did.

Being The Ricardos

Being the Ricardos tackles the troubled but nationally treasured relationship and career lives of Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball. Aside from being the most important show to me. A show that I have watched every episode 3 times it is also known for having more live television watchers than the Eisenhower inauguration. So when it was announced fans and critics alike were skeptikal of the casting as Nicole Kidman looks absolutely nothing like Lucy and Deborah Messing has done a better job before. I Love Lucy found hearts of millions of Americans and I love Lucy Was more than just a title. It was a way of life. From slapstick physical comedy to relationship boundary breaking. First biracial couple on screen. First pregnancy casted on set in front of a live audience. Desi and Lucy were TV.

The movie carries itself above familiar fare by being real, and the attention to historically accurate detail is impressive. Pulling off a fan favorable Lucy movie is 1 in a million but I guess you get that 1 with a million attempts. Javier has "babalu" sessions where he commands the screen and captures the essense of Desi Arnaz. William Frawley and Vivians chemistry or lack there of was presented so well to.the viewer. Their relationship sour as a day old bag of slaw and it's damn palpable. The plot doesn't linger but rather flows fluidly and does so while being well paced. It's like getting a gift card for fast food versus sit down. It just is easy and good.

The documentary style elements felt out of place. It gives the movie this identity crisis of "is it a movie or a documentary" with actors pretending to be interviewed about actors other people acted? Idk lol.

But in general it does a lot right. If you are new to Lucille Ball. This gives a real sense of how much of a leader she was in show business. And if you are a fan already it will do nothing but please.

88/100
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 10:30:46 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #2062 on: December 24, 2021, 11:01:21 am »

Is gremlins 2 better than 1? I loved 1. I avoided 2 because sequels usually disappont me. I should give it a chance :)

The sequel is a very different animal than the first film. The original plays everything very straight, and manages to be funny while also genuinely scary at points.  The New Batch does away with any pretense of seriousness and is more of a live action cartoon.  It's funnier and the creature design is better, but I can totally see how it is one of those sequels that fans of the original might not like.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2063 on: December 24, 2021, 01:09:19 pm »
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Not Marvel's best movie, but it was enjoyable. Nice mix of fantasy elements and martial arts. Good action and cool special effects, too. Not as much humor as most Marvel movies, though.

Black Widow

Maybe Marvel's weakest movie. I struggled to finish this one. It wasn't funny, the story was boring, and the action was just so-so
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 01:15:18 pm by burningdoom »

mrkonasoni

« Reply #2064 on: December 24, 2021, 09:45:51 pm »
I didn't exactly watch the new Matrix movie but I was still sleeping when I heard my phone ringing constantly because of new messages.

When I woke up I found 53 messages from my friend that watched and completely hated it.

Merry Christmas, guys!
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

« Reply #2065 on: December 27, 2021, 11:44:13 am »
Elf - First time watch.  Love the North Pole stuff, but it doesn't really earn the third act payoffs.  Caan just decides he's not mad because reasons?  Still a fun family time.

Ernest Saves Christmas - Same manic energy as Elf, but not as focused or well utilized. I've always loved Varney, and he's fun.  Douglas Seale is great as Santa.  Unfortunately, it's just kind of poorly made, and has some desperately unfunny side stuff.  Not great, not awful.

Elf - Visiting family and this is the first thing put on.  Thoughts remained pretty much exactly the same.

ferraroso

« Reply #2066 on: December 27, 2021, 07:26:28 pm »
Watched these two Netflix originals on the same day:

Don't Look Up: A very good idea with a terrible execution in my opinion. Still recommend it though. Just watch and take your own conclusions.

Asakusa Kid: Tells the story of Japanese comedian/actor/movie director Takeshi Kitano. Delivers well balanced doses of fun and emotion. Pretty good movie.

« Reply #2067 on: December 28, 2021, 09:07:12 am »
Toy Story - Masterpiece.
Toy Story 2 - Somehow even better.

The Matrix Resurrections  - A movie with a lot of big ideas, though not all of them land.  Surprisingly small in scope, but works as a coda to the whole series.

« Reply #2068 on: December 30, 2021, 05:29:39 am »
Back on my One Piece marathon and I finished up the Alabasta Arc..  I had forgotten how low key Nico's addition to the crew was and perhaps could be one of the least justified of the crew lol I mean Nico is one of my favorites of the crew and she gets her big story stuff later to show why she is a part of the crew, but in terms of crew starts, it feels abit of an odd one due to her going from "enemy" to instant member of the crew with no real buildup.  This arc is pretty alright, Vivi is great, she would've made a nice member of the crew.  Probably gonna be an arc on the lower end for me, but certainly not a bad one.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 05:32:15 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2069 on: January 02, 2022, 11:07:13 am »
Encanto - Very delightful and a nice way to kick off the New Year.

The Big Boss - An early Bruce Lee flick.  It's a bit slow, but the action is incredible and Lee is just magnetic.

The Martian - One of my more modern comfort films.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 11:25:53 am by Cartagia »