Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280152 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2085 on: February 11, 2022, 02:52:00 pm »
Jackass Forever. It was quite enjoyable but it makes me just want even more. 4.5 will likely arrive later this year but with Paramount+ ordering so many specials from South Park why not do the same with Jackass? They just expanded the cast and to me it feels like they all (minus Johnny) want the chance to do even more.

I also hope they settle their issues with Bam and continue to work with him.

« Reply #2086 on: February 12, 2022, 08:13:36 am »

It's more that Bam needs to settle his issues, in general.

Nightmare Alley - GdT's newest is really, really good.  Not much of a surprise there.

« Reply #2087 on: February 12, 2022, 08:58:30 am »

Nightmare Alley - GdT's newest is really, really good.  Not much of a surprise there.
Well there's an ongoing lawsuit. Bam's been in rehab the past few months but it's odd how the rules are so much stricter for Bam when Steve-O was never stopped from being a part of Jackass and he was doing a lot worse.

« Reply #2088 on: February 12, 2022, 09:37:42 am »

Well there's an ongoing lawsuit. Bam's been in rehab the past few months but it's odd how the rules are so much stricter for Bam when Steve-O was never stopped from being a part of Jackass and he was doing a lot worse.

Because times and the crew have changed - and I'm sure the production insurance providers are keeping a hell of an eye on it.  These things are far more dangerous at their age than they were when they were pliable 20-somethings - just look at Knoxville vs. the bull now vs. the numerous other times he did it.  Steve-O never signed an agreement that he needed to be sober during production.  Bam did.  And, once Steve-O needed to be sober, he was.  Are the rules different now?  Yes.  But Steve-O followed the rules as they were, and as they are.  Unfortunately, Bam couldn't do that.

« Reply #2089 on: February 12, 2022, 09:25:09 pm »
Barton Fink - Probably the least accessible Coen film, but there's a depth here that, if you let yourself sink in, can you ponder on for days.

The Ladykillers - Very messy, but there are still laughs to be had at least.

The Way of the Dragon - The cheesiest Bruce Lee film I've seen so far. Not bad, but just... weird?

Dr. No - Despite some iconic moments, actually kind of boring.

Muppets Most Wanted - Fun AF.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 07:59:24 am by Cartagia »

telly

« Reply #2090 on: February 18, 2022, 10:05:43 am »
Drive My Car - Felt a little too long, but enjoyed it. Great acting, writing and an interesting story. Loved the music and the filming as well.

My Blueberry Nights - This was a random movie we picked out at the library. It was pretty bad. A star-studded cast with some great music by Nora Jones but the story was awful, tons of obscuring the characters with objects and slow framerates that were way too visually distracting, bad characters, and just not very enjoyable.

The Power of the Dog - Loved the acting, cinematography, lighting and soundtrack, but the story and conflict felt so underdeveloped and mundane. Kind of disappointed in it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 10:10:23 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #2091 on: February 19, 2022, 09:39:20 pm »
Fargo - Masterpiece from top to bottom.

telly

« Reply #2092 on: February 21, 2022, 09:33:18 am »
Don't Look Up - Had such an interesting potential and some moments that I really liked but what kills this movie for me is the humor. I felt like this movie had a serious lack of identity with it's combination of a biting satire with a serious and emotional drama. The two directions the movie takes just don't mix at all and it doesn't do a good job of being dramatic or funny as a result. It's also highly ingrained in the socio political landscape right now and I can almost guarantee it will be an outdated experience in 10, possibly even 5 years from now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 09:35:01 am by telly »
Currently Playing:

« Reply #2093 on: February 21, 2022, 09:36:15 am »
Mad Max: Fury Road - First thing I watched on my 4K TV.  What a day!  What a lovely day!

Wayne's World - Zang.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Easily my favorite in the series.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Intolerable Cruelty - Clooney is great, but the rest is kinda flat.

Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge - Best of the franchise, but that's not saying a lot.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 09:26:54 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #2094 on: February 27, 2022, 09:23:24 pm »
A Whisker Away, an anime movie to watch while me and the family eat one of the Japanese snack boxes.  It's a cute movie, girl gains the ability to become a cat and uses that to get close to her crush who doesn't openly share her affection back, but becoming a cat has a bad outcome if she keeps using it and it has some nice fantasy elements that show up more prominently towards the end that gives me Spirited Away vibes.  The whole movie is just nice, it doesn't do anything too stand out, though I enjoyed the whole fantastical ending it had.

« Reply #2095 on: March 02, 2022, 08:28:58 pm »
West Side Story (2021) - Stunning turn from Spielberg here.  His best work in almost 2 decades.

aliensstudios

« Reply #2096 on: March 03, 2022, 08:45:16 pm »
West Side Story (2021) - Stunning turn from Spielberg here.  His best work in almost 2 decades.
That movie isn't even better than Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #2097 on: March 04, 2022, 09:26:55 am »
That movie isn't even better than Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull

I'm not speaking to the quality of the film (which is way better than Crystal Skull, incidentally, but probably not better than Lincoln or Munich), I'm talking specifically about Spielberg's work as director.  There are shots and compositions and choreography in this movie that rival anything he's ever done.  The puddle and the school dance are insane.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 10:15:03 am by Cartagia »

telly

« Reply #2098 on: March 04, 2022, 10:33:06 am »
I watched the new West Side Story the other day and I loved it. Out of all the films I've seen so far that are nominated for Best Picture it's my favorite.

The play is probably my favorite musical of all time but the 1961 film, while a classic, has some very outdated and underdeveloped aspects. Spielberg and Kushner fixed all of the issues from the original film and added several writing and directorial changes and all of them make the film a better experience. Loved the more realistic depiction of New York within actual historical events... giving the Sharks more detail and character while depicting the Jets far more even handedly... giving Tony some backstory as to why he doesn't want to join the Jets anymore which makes the killing more impactful... changing some of the placements of the musical numbers to be more in line with the original play. It was phenomenal.

The only thing I didn't like was I wasn't really a big fan of Elgort's performance as Tony. That and the decision to replace the final song with "One Hand, One Heart" instead of "Somewhere" (which I think was also in line with the play but I like the 1961 version better.)
Currently Playing:

« Reply #2099 on: March 04, 2022, 10:55:53 am »
The only thing I didn't like was I wasn't really a big fan of Elgort's performance as Tony.

My biggest issue with the film as well.  I think he's serviceable in the actual music numbers, but is almost actively bad in everything else going on.  It's nothing sort of a miracle that movie is as good as it is with him in the middle of it.

The Batman - There's a lot of good here, with occasional flashes of greatness.  It is probably about 20 minutes too long, and while that music cue is terrific, it was incredibly overused.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 03:14:44 pm by Cartagia »