Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 279145 times)

pzeke

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2115 on: April 03, 2022, 03:01:42 pm »
The Lost City - If you would have told me a decade ago that Channing Tatum would be one of the most consistently entertaining people in Hollywood I would have spit in your face.

Careful now, that's assault.

Okay, that horse is already dead, so that was my last jab. Anyway...

Under Siege - The fourth and last good Steven Seagal movie before becoming a walking meme. Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face in "Batman Forever"—who's essentially trying to one-up Jim Carrey's Riddler—I think is an over-the-top pastiche of William Strannix, the villain of this movie.

Knives Out - So I watched this again, and it's still great, of course, but—SPOILERS—according to Marta, it would've taken 10 minutes for Harlan to die following the 100 mg morphine injection. Now, here's the thing: during the time Harlan takes to explain his plan to Marta and the time it takes her to do everything, which aren't exactly simple tasks, especially climbing up the trellis, more than 10 minutes transpire. I find humor in this given the revelation at the end and the fact during all that time Marta was going back and forth she never actually noticed, especially that Harlan never experienced any of the symptoms she described to him.

Rogue (2020) - So this is basically an attempt at "Predator", but with a bad-looking CGI lioness instead of a Yautja, and with Megan Fox playing a merc wearing bimbo cake-up. Also, from the director of "Silent Hill: Revelation".

Ad Astra - I don't mind movies that take the long, scenic route, but this was just boring.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #2116 on: April 04, 2022, 04:15:52 am »
Randomly watched I am Divine for the heck of it, I don't really know much about Divine and who he was, I know of John Waters in the pop culture sense, never watched his movies, but Divine seemed like the individual and it was an interesting watch.

And I just realized that Jackass Forever was streaming, so definitely had to check it out.  I'm an old Jackass fan from back when it first started, I really got into it, watched all the series, movies, the stuff the cast did afterwards like Viva La Bam and Wildboyz, and as a teen at the time in those early days, there were certainly a few dumb things we did that were influenced by them lol.  Jackass 3D was one of the best times I had with a 3D movie in theater, no joke, like Avatar did it so well in terms of atmosphere, but in terms of pure gimmick, seeing a flying dildo get launched across the screen was the stupidest and funniest thing.

Crazy that its been over 10 years since the last film, Ryan Dunn was certainly missed, and it was real unfortunate that Bam is in a rough place and couldn't do it either.  The new cast is pretty fun, a few really fitting into the Jackass mold great.  This movie is ridiculous, gross, fucked up, so basically everything a Jackass movie should be lol It's just the dumbest possible nonsense imaginable, but I laughed and cringed all the way through it.

And being that I just realized they have Jackass up streaming on Paramount, I think I'm gonna go and binge the old series.  I actually forgot how short Jackass was as a series, they were only on the air for 2 years, and then after that it was just the movies.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 04:29:56 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2117 on: April 04, 2022, 12:12:33 pm »
I actually forgot how short Jackass was as a series, they were only on the air for 2 years, and then after that it was just the movies.

Yeah, all of the spin-offs lasted way longer than the original show did, which is so weird to think about.

pzeke

« Reply #2118 on: April 05, 2022, 01:16:55 pm »
Why didn't Jackass last long? I mean, it's no secret: it was the early 2000s, censorship was rampant, and MTV kept meddling with the producers wanting the show to be less of what it was. That last point of course courtesy of Joe Lieberman who waged a war against MTV, thanks in part to the brain-dead people that kept emulating the show. The following spin-off shows were essentially a way to satiate the demand.

Here's a good read up on the the history of the show.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #2119 on: April 05, 2022, 03:00:52 pm »
In jackass 3.5 (and other interviews) Jeff Tremaine talks about how one of the major reasons that Wildboyz lasted so much longer than jackass was that it wasn't something that could be easily imitated at home, so they didn't have to worry about dumbass kids (of which I was definitely one) trying to do the stunts.

« Reply #2120 on: April 09, 2022, 01:57:39 pm »
The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle - This is actually pretty funny?  It's dumb, but knows it's dumb.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 02:16:05 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2121 on: April 09, 2022, 03:59:02 pm »
Watched Free Guy last night and thought it was some dumb fun.  It's absolutely nonsensical, like nothing about the game makes any sense whatsoever, it's as if someone who almost never played games, played Grand Theft Auto V Online for a weekend, and then wrote a movie about it.  I'm not even trying to be like a snobby gamer about it, there's just so much from a game design perspective that is hilarious and makes no sense.  Of course you can tell the "live action game world" stuff is meant to be a...romanticized look at things, I guess you could say, because they do show with pulled out shots that the game does look like a normal computer graphics game for the most part, though it does feel like so much happens that couldn't happen when you remember that this is a regular game played by people with a mouse and keyboard lol You really have to turn your brain off for it, but it was entertaining.  My favorite thing was just seeing all the background stuff going on in the game as the story happen which was pretty great.

In simplest terms, it's The Truman Show crossed with Ready Player One, but without the virtual reality element.  They have have very clear nods to things like the Halo Scorpion tank, Marvel and Star Wars, and like the Portal and Gravity Gun among a couple others.  It's at least not as bad as Ready Player One, where the whole point of everything is just to be a reference fest, so it doesn't feel like that is the whole point of it, it's just general game nodes with references sprinkled through it.

gngtiger

« Reply #2122 on: April 10, 2022, 07:52:05 pm »
The World's End.
My parents introduced me and my sister to the Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg/Nick Frost (Three Flavours Cornetto) trilogy of films. Well, actually, just Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz. I found out about The World's End on my own by researching the series. It's not perfect (the aliens don't enter the plot until the 40 minute mark), but it's a really good film. Shaun Of The Dead is the best, but this one still works really well. If you've never seen the trilogy, give it a try.

telly

« Reply #2123 on: April 11, 2022, 09:14:12 am »
Free Guy - Very fun movie with some interesting ideas. I think what I enjoyed most was the commentary about the modern game industry that the movie showcases for a joke when in reality it's what happens all too frequently. Some of the game aspects were played a little loose and a lot of the scenarios at the end felt needlessly complex. You would think since they developed the entire game they have access to all it's code and can just delete Guy or change things as needed. But regardless, fun movie, lots of fun effects, and some really interesting themes explored in a lighthearted way.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #2124 on: April 17, 2022, 09:06:43 am »
Miami Vice - What the kids would call "a whole vibe."

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2125 on: April 17, 2022, 10:42:03 am »
the Aristocrats- wanna realize how much comedy has changed in the past few years? Most of the comedians I remembered on it are either Dead or I haven't heard about in the past decade. Anyways it's a documentary about the Aristocrats joke. Highly recommended it's currently on Tubi. Decided to watch it after the recent passing of Gilbert Gottfried reminded me of it
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 10:45:16 am by redblaze57 »

pzeke

« Reply #2126 on: April 17, 2022, 03:21:24 pm »
[...] after the recent passing of Gilbert Gottfried reminded me of it

I would like to get a respite from all the good people we keep losing that actually do good by bringing joy and betterment to this world, and instead finally see the literal wastes of space that do nothing but drag this world down drown in their own muck...and I can think of a few that I'd love to see bite the dust.

« Reply #2127 on: April 17, 2022, 10:18:38 pm »
The Warriors - I can dig it.

« Reply #2128 on: April 18, 2022, 06:37:35 am »
The Batman, couldn't wait to watch it, so watched it as soon as it went up, though I didn't know it was 3 hour flick lol It's a great movie, I'm going to have to let it simmer for awhile, but it's got potential to be a top favorite next to The Dark Knight.  That's not just current release bias either, I think this movie nailed everything style wise, it's dark and gritty, I never really loved Nolan's films from a visual point of view, like they are well made movies, but this does a better job pushing a tone, much of it is dark and raining, harsh lighting, stuff like that is good. 

Batman himself is also great, I think Pattinson did a good job as Batman, his suit is badass, though it's hard to say for his Bruce, because he's Bruce so little, but it's got the story to support that.  This is a younger Bruce, he's only been Batman for two years.  He's angry, reckless, "vengeance" is who he is, he has a death wish, he's 100% brood, Bruce is unimportant to the picture unless absolutely forced to, but it's a apart of his character growth that we should see if they get to continue the films.  I know there's a series planned, but nothing confirmed for a sequel yet I believe.

The action is real good, I wasn't in love with The Riddler design and concept initially, but I think he's done real well here, Penguin is great, Catwoman is solid, I thought everyone was great in it.  Overall, I love it, I was engaged the entire time.

I will say that I am mildly torn with this love, because while this is a real good Batman movie, it's not the true Batman film to me, because it's still a real world Batman, like the Nolan films.  I don't see a future where this Batman deals with a Mr. Freeze, a Clayface, a Killer Croc, a proper Bane, that sort of thing.  Not getting that isn't bad, but it seems to be a struggle to get the perfect Batman film for me, because there's never been that one yet.  Someday maybe lol

« Reply #2129 on: April 21, 2022, 10:28:01 am »
From Russia with Love - Way better than Dr. No, this has always been one of my favorite classic Bond films.