Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275908 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2160 on: June 19, 2022, 06:13:43 pm »
Terminator Genisys - Finally got around to watching this.  Oh man it sucks.   Even more than I thought it would.

Ninja - Good action, bad acting.

Ninja II: Shadow of a Tear - I missed the ludicrous Big Oil Illuminati, but otherwise superior to the first film in pretty much every way.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 10:02:11 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2161 on: June 23, 2022, 01:50:53 am »
Dr. Strange and The Multiverse of Madness - Awesome movie, possibly my favorite of this phase.  No Way Home was that before, and I do enjoy that film, the love for all eras of the Spider-Man movies makes for a great time, but Strange stands out because of how trippy, creepy, and violent it is.  I had heard some folks didn't like it because of what they did and I can sorta understand that, but I loved it for that reason.  It's dark and Raimi's style is all over this in the best way and probably the darkest of the MCU films for sure.  Very happy with it.

« Reply #2162 on: June 24, 2022, 09:04:31 pm »
Really happy with Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe even though they decided the 2011 return no longer exists. High hopes for the new episodes now.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2163 on: June 24, 2022, 09:33:59 pm »
Really happy with Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe even though they decided the 2011 return no longer exists. High hopes for the new episodes now.

Glad to hear it. Me and the wife were planning on watching that one.

« Reply #2164 on: June 28, 2022, 05:30:39 am »
The Northman - Overall a reasonable film, though I wouldn't say it did a ton to impress or standout personally.  Not that it's bad, but it's a pretty basic revenge movie and while it has some interesting imagery, it doesn't really do much to elevate beyond other stuff I've seen.  It's a bit darker and grungier than say the Vikings tv show, but that isn't something that makes for a more exciting or interesting story.  I can also see why it didn't do great in theater, because it's not as action heavy as I feel the trailer tries to make it out to be, most of the action kinda happens towards the beginning and end, so there's kinda long, slower, middle section that I feel like isn't good for a theater experience.

If I had to rate it, it would be like a B, it's not a bad film at all, nothing I could say that's negative about it, I just wasn't super drawn into it.

« Reply #2165 on: June 28, 2022, 09:48:19 pm »
Scanners - The cool setpieces are just too far in between, and the lead actor is bland AF.

Interceptor - Hot damn this sucks.

The Black Phone - Ethan Hawke is intensely creepy here, and there's a lot I really like.  Ironically, it's the titular black phone that didn't really work for me.  I thought pretty much everything surrounding it was great, but something about that particular aspect left me cold.

The Ice Road - That perfect sweet spot of dumb and entertaining.  It's no good, but I pretty much enjoyed all 100 minutes.

Dirty Harry - Appropriately gritty, dark, and hard boiled, but just a bit too authoritarian (though not as much as other reviews would have you believe). Smooth soundtrack that just adds to the overall cool factor.  Probably over 20 years since I saw it last, and didn't really remember much, other than what's in Zodiac.

The Neverending Story - Incredible aesthetic, killer soundtrack, and some overracting kids. The Fantasia stuff is mostly solid, but pretty much the only upside of the real world plot is Gerald McRainey.

Back to the Future - Still my favorite movie of all time.

Thor: Love and Thunder - Really fun, but a bit disjointed.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 04:26:00 pm by Cartagia »

telly

« Reply #2166 on: July 13, 2022, 09:31:01 am »
The Fifth Element - Very strange and entertaining movie with wacky over the top visuals, costumes, acting and settings. The story however was really bad. There wasn't enough interest paid to Leeloo which was really disappointing and she's mostly played up for laughs or as a sex object. Still enjoyed my time watching though.

Rear Window - My first Hitchcock movie believe it or not. They're doing a summertime series of some of his films at the local theater. Phenomenal movie, beautiful set and top notch acting and story. Really enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 12:15:41 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #2167 on: July 17, 2022, 03:34:32 am »
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City - This might be the worst live action Resident Evil thing lol Which is frustrating, because it's technically the most "true" to the games they've done yet.  It certainly feels like the most "horror" movie of the bunch, but it's really low budget stuff, it's like a cliffnotes version of the cliffnotes, it's so badly handled.

I had way more written, but screw it, this movie doesn't deserve it, it's just boring and bad lol I consider it the worst because it not only ruins a bunch of characters from the original games, it's just lame.  There's barely any zombies or monsters in it, and what is in there, is badly utilized.  I said it's the worst before, because while the tv show is long and boring for much of it, there are decent chunks of stuff happening throughout, lots of zombies and monsters, decent action, basically most stuff happening in the Post-Apocalypse part of the story.  It's much the same for the Jovovich movies, like they are dumb and not very good, but they at least have action, zombies, and monsters.

All I hope for, is that Constantin Films never do anything with Resident Evil and Capcom is hopefully able to get another company to do something with it.  Get Legendary to make a new Resident Evil movie, they could probably make it work.  I don't know, just anyone else, please...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 09:24:46 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2168 on: July 17, 2022, 08:07:10 pm »
Everything Everywhere All at Once - I was afraid it wouldn't play as well this time, and it does drag a hair in the third act, but I was just as absorbed as I was the first time.

The Bob's Burgers Movie - A fun addition to the BB canon, but I've never been the biggest fan of the musical numbers.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 07:55:07 pm by Cartagia »

gngtiger

« Reply #2169 on: July 19, 2022, 02:47:15 pm »
I'm doing yet another MCU rewatch for my very epic podcast (I believe I posted a link to it in self-promotion. If it's not there, just look for Geeks and Games on Apple Podcasts or Spotify). I just finished the first installment: Iron Man. It's good and holds up, but Stane is kind of just an alright villain. He seems kind of cliche in his motivations and goals. However, "TONY STARK WAS ABLE TO BUILD THIS IN A CAVE! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!" is the best line of all time.

7.5/10

« Reply #2170 on: July 21, 2022, 12:22:18 am »
Resident Evil (2002) - I got it in my head, after watching what I consider to be the worst Resident Evil stuff recently with the last movie and tv show, to see if the Paul W.S. Anderson films were as bad as I remember.  I had only ever seen the first three, the third one pushing me to never watch the others, but the first one I had considered a guilty pleasure and I gotta say, it holds up as a solid guilty pleasure.  That part of the "guilty pleasure" is more that it's not good Resident Evil, but it is a very solid cheesy zombie b-movie flick.  It actually reminds me a lot of Deep Rising, a movie that came out a few years before this one, where it had that mixture of horror with cheesy action.  Do I wish we got a story that fit more with actual Resident Evil and had actual characters from Resident Evil? Definitely, but this movie is fun, I liked it still, it's very late 90's/early 00's.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004) - This one I remember being bad and it's definitely where it starts to fall apart.  It's okay for the most part, like it's still trying to mix the horror with the action, we even get Jill, but she's just there I'm sure because fans complained that the first movie didn't have any characters from the game.  She doesn't add anything to the movie.  The action got worse though.  With Alice becoming superpowered, it starts to fall apart.  By the end, the movie is just barely holding itself together I feel.  It's competent, but I don't really want to ever watch it again.  Not looking forward to the rest of the movies, but we'll see how it goes lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2171 on: July 21, 2022, 11:12:03 am »
Resident Evil (2002) - I got it in my head, after watching what I consider to be the worst Resident Evil stuff recently with the last movie and tv show, to see if the Paul W.S. Anderson films were as bad as I remember.  I had only ever seen the first three, the third one pushing me to never watch the others, but the first one I had considered a guilty pleasure and I gotta say, it holds up as a solid guilty pleasure.  That part of the "guilty pleasure" is more that it's not good Resident Evil, but it is a very solid cheesy zombie b-movie flick.  It actually reminds me a lot of Deep Rising, a movie that came out a few years before this one, where it had that mixture of horror with cheesy action.  Do I wish we got a story that fit more with actual Resident Evil and had actual characters from Resident Evil? Definitely, but this movie is fun, I liked it still, it's very late 90's/early 00's.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004) - This one I remember being bad and it's definitely where it starts to fall apart.  It's okay for the most part, like it's still trying to mix the horror with the action, we even get Jill, but she's just there I'm sure because fans complained that the first movie didn't have any characters from the game.  She doesn't add anything to the movie.  The action got worse though.  With Alice becoming superpowered, it starts to fall apart.  By the end, the movie is just barely holding itself together I feel.  It's competent, but I don't really want to ever watch it again.  Not looking forward to the rest of the movies, but we'll see how it goes lol

First one was great.

I'd even say the 2nd was good up until a certain point in the movie. The last part of the movie where her powers activate and the Nemesis shows up (he looks so ridiculous) it falls apart.

Then yeah, the sequels are useless.

« Reply #2172 on: July 21, 2022, 01:12:40 pm »

That's pretty much where I fall with this one.  It's not great, but it's a fun enough B-flick with some Resident Evil set dressing.  It's all downhill from there, though.

gngtiger

« Reply #2173 on: July 21, 2022, 03:15:51 pm »
Thor: Love and Thunder: I think it was good, but needed some fine-tuning. It does seem like Marvel rushed Waititi for this one.

George of the Jungle: I watched this one for a podcast I follow. It's really nothing amazing, but it does have some charm in its off-the-wall goofiness. It is one of the most bonkers movies I've ever watched.

« Reply #2174 on: July 22, 2022, 12:43:10 am »
Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) - The only positive I have for this, is that it's not as bad as I remember lol Not that its good, it's just a very generic post-apocalypse flick.  It's all functional, there's nothing specifically bad going on, it's just Mad Max (For some reason the T-Virus wiped out the climate and environment? Sure, whatever...) with some Resident Evil dressing on it.  There's actually less going on here than I remember, which means I might be mixing up some happenings with the later films and clips I've seen.  Not a lot happens in this.  They fight off some zombie birds, they go to Vegas and fight some super zombies, and then it's the finale.  That's mostly it.  Claire is here because they need to try and entice fans, despite the very boring setting, and she doesn't really add anything in particular, much like Jill from the second movie, who for some reason isn't in this one.  I'm curious if she's just gone.

Overall, competent zombie flick, bad Resident Evil.

Resident Evil: Afterlife - I did end up watching this one before, I thought I stopped with Extinction, but I do remember watching this one.  It's definitely the worst yet lol I think Paul W.S. Anderson is getting worse at filmmaking as these go on, because I think the first one is genuinely a good film, has some decent tension, horror, and action, it has a good style without being TOO over the top, but this movie is just like "You want to see the biggest, most ridiculous action scene we've done yet? No? WELL HERE IT IS ANYWAYS!" It's so cheesy and bad and it never gets any better.  The effects are actually a huge mixed bag throughout as sometimes it's good and other times it's really bad looking.  Like that implosion of Tokyo? Impressive.  The composite shots of clone Alice? Hilariously terrible lol

This one is probably the most egregious when it comes to adding in Resident Evil stuff randomly, like Chris's introduction is so improbable just to have him exist now.  They introduce Las Plagas, but never discuss what it is at all, it's just vaguely some sort of Umbrella experiment...I think...It's really not clear why they exist or what the Executioner from Resident Evil 5 is doing there lol  It's just a lot of bad story and action going on.  At the very least, Extinction was a functional post-apocalypse film.  This was just kinda nothing.

Resident Evil: Retribution - More fan bait stuff with this one pretty quickly...Ada, Leon, Barry, at least their introduction isn't as improbable as Chris was, but it doesn't add anything to this ridiculous scenario going on.  Most of this movie is basically like one long action scenario, an entire finale from the very start.  Honestly...I kinda like this more than the last movie.  It's still just dumb action schlock, but it cuts out all the excess, there are no new characters to really learn who they are, much of the situation is explained in clear exposition, it gets to the meat of it way quicker and I can at least appreciate that. 

Again, not that this means it's good.  It's just too ridiculous and not in the right way for me, because the action is never good, which is this series biggest sin.  Action in these movies is one of two things.  Either ridiculous, unrealistic, wire stunt, with slow mo bits, or people standing still and shooting guns with a stern face in wide shots and slow motion.  Also Alice is supposed to be "human" now, but she is still doing standing back flips and doing the crazy fight stuff she did before with little holding her back and it only shows up as her being "human" at the very end against a juiced up Jill or brief moments throughout with a gut wound she's dealing with.

While I didn't hate this one as much as the last, I'm very happy I'm coming to the end of these movies.  I still have no idea why I subjected myself to this run, I guess, I felt like because I always considered these movies other than the first one trash, it might not have been 100% fair for me to do having only watched half of them (Or 4 for of them as it turned out), but once this is over, I can say with certainty, they aren't good other than the first one lol 

Also as much as I rag on these, I would rather watch any of these movies, than watch Welcome to Raccoon City again...that one is going to be king of the crap pile for sure. On to the last movie...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 05:59:22 pm by kamikazekeeg »