Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275745 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2205 on: October 10, 2022, 06:12:07 pm »
The Burning - Incredible summer camp slasher. Deserves more recognition.

The opening scene of The Burning and raft scene were awesome. But there was a whole lot of filler in that movie.

It's got an incredible cast that does a lot of the heavy lifting for me, making the campers feel more real than you typically see.  Terrific pacing, too.

Lifeforce - Totally wild, fiendishly ambitious, amazing visual effects. Exactly the kind of experimental big budget film Hollywood doesn't make anymore.

Psycho Goreman - Made me say "What the hell is this movie?" more than once.  A total blast.

Tigers Are Not Afraid - It feels a bit reductive to say that this is City of God by way of Pan's Labyrinth, but those are also two bona-fide masterpieces, so that's what I'm sticking with.

The Mortuary Collection - Really enjoyed the dark whimsy aesthetic and the sing-song method of storytelling, but really had issues pinpointing what exactly the tone was supposed to be.

Watcher - Very solid stalker / paranoia thriller from first time feature director Chloe Okuno.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 08:13:06 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #2206 on: October 15, 2022, 02:45:07 pm »
Just watched halloween ends after being heavily disappointed in Halloween Kills. It is the conclusion the franchise deserves :)

Halloween Ends was an emotional trip through franchise glory and gory that brought a tear to my eye thinking this was the rose left on Michael Myers proverbial grave concluding decades of us being scared. From the original, gripping your seat in terror in the 70s as Laurie Strode proves yet again what scream queen means. The movie's gore is unparalleled. Without spoilers the side characters actually take the center stage and the movie is paced like a locomotive of horror delight. It concludes decades of grim into a 2 hour piece of pie. This was doing the franchise justice. It wasn't filler for the sake of it. It corrected the mistakes of the last Halloween. The last halloween felt smothered more than his victims. But this was open. Easy to watch. Don't let halloween end without seeing halloween ends.

99/100

Also streaming on peacock premium.

Hocus Pocus 2 - Solid Sequel

Addams Family Values - One Of Few Sequels Better Than The Original

Hope everyone is having a good halloween season.

« Reply #2207 on: October 15, 2022, 09:56:42 pm »
Halloween Ends - A terrible sequel to Halloween Kills, but kind of an okay sequel to 2018's Halloween. As such, there's a lot of really interesting thematic stuff going on here, but most of it really only works if Myers is totally out of the picture. The bright spots of the film come from some terrifically staged sequences and decent performances from the lead cast. Wish it lived up to the film its trying to be.

Also, marketing for this is definitely going to be the cause of some backlash. Terrible, terrible campaign for this particular movie.

« Reply #2208 on: October 16, 2022, 12:52:57 am »
Halloween Ends - A terrible sequel to Halloween Kills, but kind of an okay sequel to 2018's Halloween. As such, there's a lot of really interesting thematic stuff going on here, but most of it really only works if Myers is totally out of the picture. The bright spots of the film come from some terrifically staged sequences and decent performances from the lead cast. Wish it lived up to the film its trying to be.

Also, marketing for this is definitely going to be the cause of some backlash. Terrible, terrible campaign for this particular movie.

Can you elaborate about the campaign and backlash? I don't know if you're solely talking that it was poorly marketed or if they did something morally wrong like racism or politically to push backlash? I'm out of the loop :)

I am beggining to feel that these made for streaming services kind of exclusivity marketing strategies ruin the nostalgic lore of box office and actually going to the movies or even just having digital options. I understood it during lockdown but now i'm starting to get sad it's the new norm.

« Reply #2209 on: October 16, 2022, 03:14:20 am »
Poor marketing campaign for what the movie is actually about.  It's going to give people expectations that do not align with what happens.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks - It's no Mary Poppins, but it's fun. Starts losing momentum about halfway through.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 02:07:07 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2210 on: October 16, 2022, 06:07:42 pm »
I watched "Doom" last night for the 1st time since probably 2006 or so. I didn't really remember much outside of the 1st person shooter sequence, so i was pleasantly surprised that I found the whole movie enjoyable.

« Reply #2211 on: October 16, 2022, 08:48:29 pm »
Beast - Exactly what it says on the tin.

The Wicker Man (2006) - After about 5 minutes I thought that maybe it wouldn't be as bad as I was expecting. After another 10 I thought it might actually be worse. It takes another full hour before it becomes the wackadoo movie that everyone thinks of it as. Takes way too long to get there, and it's not worth it at all. Atrocious script, filled with actors that have no idea what movie they are in, and worst of all, just boring.

« Reply #2212 on: October 16, 2022, 09:29:08 pm »

The Wicker Man (2006) - After about 5 minutes I thought that maybe it wouldn't be as bad as I was expecting. After another 10 I thought it might actually be worse. It takes another full hour before it becomes the wackadoo movie that everyone thinks of it as. Takes way too long to get there, and it's not worth it at all. Atrocious script, filled with actors that have no idea what movie they are in, and worst of all, just boring.

It's been a long time since I've seen the original Wicker Man, but that sounds pretty much the same, lol. I'll def skip the remake.

« Reply #2213 on: October 17, 2022, 11:31:10 am »

It's been a long time since I've seen the original Wicker Man, but that sounds pretty much the same, lol. I'll def skip the remake.

The original is a classic.  The remake is abysmal.

Pieces - Maybe I was expecting too much? Great gore, decent kills, but pretty sloppy otherwise. No pun intended.

Antlers - Great atmosphere, terrific effects and creature design, but a pretty anemic story.

Night of the Living Dead  (1990) - Solid remake. Changes and updates enough to make it worthwhile, while also mostly keeping to the spirit of the original. Tony Todd and Patricia Tallman give good performances, but it's pretty uneven from the rest of the cast.

Thief - Terrific crime thriller from Michael Mann.  Probably my biggest blindspot in his filmography.   Just top notch all around.

Night of the Comet - Aggressively 80s. Campy and fun with a killer soundtrack.

Spy - Total blast. Changes gears every 30 minutes or so and that keep it fresh throughout. Hell of cast, and they all bring their A-game.

Carrie - Carrie deserved the world and her mama deserved to die. Just sayin.

The Fisher King - This is a mostly great script, elevated by Gilliam walking a tightrope of tonality. The romcom aspects do tend to knock it out balance, with some of the meet cute story not hitting the mark, and being the most outdated part.

Career best turns from Amanda Plummer and Michael Jeter, and Bridges should have been the Lead Actor nominee from this film. Robin would have fit in better in Supporting, but he does get to be a bit much early on. And Mercedes Ruehl 100% earned that Oscar.

Time Bandits - One of those kid-centric adventure films where everything except the kid is engaging. Don't know if I've laughed harder at a movie this year than I did at the Robin Hood sequence.

White Zombie - Not as well-known or as polished as its Universal contemporaries it still fulfills the same progenitor status in history as those films, only for zombies instead of the classic monsters. Well shot with some terrific sets, but some occasionally insufferable sound design. Well worth a watch for any horror history buff or classic cinema connoisseur.

Beauty and the Beast - The older I get the more sure I am this is the best Disney animated film.

Rosemary's Baby - Just an incredible film.  Way better than I remembered it being.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 09:07:36 pm by Cartagia »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2214 on: October 24, 2022, 01:31:01 pm »

The original is a classic.  The remake is abysmal.

Pieces - Maybe I was expecting too much? Great gore, decent kills, but pretty sloppy otherwise. No pun intended.

Antlers - Great atmosphere, terrific effects and creature design, but a pretty anemic story.

Night of the Living Dead  (1990) - Solid remake. Changes and updates enough to make it worthwhile, while also mostly keeping to the spirit of the original. Tony Todd and Patricia Tallman give good performances, but it's pretty uneven from the rest of the cast.

Thief - Terrific crime thriller from Michael Mann.  Probably my biggest blindspot in his filmography.   Just top notch all around.

Night of the Comet - Aggressively 80s. Campy and fun with a killer soundtrack.

Spy - Total blast. Changes gears every 30 minutes or so and that keep it fresh throughout. Hell of cast, and they all bring their A-game.

Carrie - Carrie deserved the world and her mama deserved to die. Just sayin.

The Fisher King - This is a mostly great script, elevated by Gilliam walking a tightrope of tonality. The romcom aspects do tend to knock it out balance, with some of the meet cute story not hitting the mark, and being the most outdated part.

Career best turns from Amanda Plummer and Michael Jeter, and Bridges should have been the Lead Actor nominee from this film. Robin would have fit in better in Supporting, but he does get to be a bit much early on. And Mercedes Ruehl 100% earned that Oscar.

Time Bandits - One of those kid-centric adventure films where everything except the kid is engaging. Don't know if I've laughed harder at a movie this year than I did at the Robin Hood sequence.

White Zombie - Not as well-known or as polished as its Universal contemporaries it still fulfills the same progenitor status in history as those films, only for zombies instead of the classic monsters. Well shot with some terrific sets, but some occasionally insufferable sound design. Well worth a watch for any horror history buff or classic cinema connoisseur.

Beauty and the Beast - The older I get the more sure I am this is the best Disney animated film.

Rosemary's Baby - Just an incredible film.  Way better than I remembered it being.

Pieces is very overrated. People talk about the gore-factor, which is true, but the rest of the movie is quite frankly boring.

NotLD remake is one of the best remakes, ever.

And I freaking love Night of the Comet. So 80s. Zombies. And Chakotay!

« Reply #2215 on: October 24, 2022, 09:17:09 pm »
The Rental is close to being really good, but the script is too loose.  If the whole thing felt like the third act it would be great.

« Reply #2216 on: October 25, 2022, 06:37:48 pm »
Goosebumps is shockingly quality. Jack Black is a national treasure. This mans charisma is next level. The story is well paced and if you grew up on the books, it pays tasteful homage to the feature monsters, titles and more. The love arch was surprisingly profound. And the girl does some of the bulk in acting prowess. A lot of seasoning on this nostalgia burrito.

- 95/100

« Reply #2217 on: October 25, 2022, 08:57:55 pm »
The Platform - Subtle as cannon fire, but completely mesmerizing. Gets kinda sloppy in the last act, though.

His House - Astonishing, powerful, scary, heart wrenching. The best film I've seen of its ilk since Hereditary.

Hell House LLC - A few genuinely creepy moments is not nearly enough to offset a lackluster ending, insufferable characters, and terrible dialogue.

Censor - A less obtuse non-body horror Videodrome for the modern day that sure has lot of drawn out slow motion sequences for a movie that isn't even 90 minutes.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 09:27:48 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2218 on: October 29, 2022, 04:49:40 pm »
Pet Sematary 1989 -  Brutally gorey and probably has the coolest cat in movie history easily. Church as a cat makes other cats look like Marie from the aristocats. Church is just a yellow eyed beast of the night. 92/100

Omen - Dark movie. Gripping plot. 94/100

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2219 on: October 29, 2022, 05:50:19 pm »
Pet Sematary 1989 -  Brutally gorey and probably has the coolest cat in movie history easily. Church as a cat makes other cats look like Marie from the aristocats. Church is just a yellow eyed beast of the night. 92/100

Omen - Dark movie. Gripping plot. 94/100

"Brutally gory"

Good movie, don't get me wrong. But there's a whole lot out there you still need to see if you think Pet Sematary is brutally gory.