Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 276002 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2220 on: October 29, 2022, 07:31:12 pm »
Pet Sematary 1989 -  Brutally gorey and probably has the coolest cat in movie history easily. Church as a cat makes other cats look like Marie from the aristocats. Church is just a yellow eyed beast of the night. 92/100

Omen - Dark movie. Gripping plot. 94/100

"Brutally gory"

Good movie, don't get me wrong. But there's a whole lot out there you still need to see if you think Pet Sematary is brutally gory.

Do you have any recommendations? I'm always open as I been going down the classic must sees horror fans rave about. Next is children of the corn.

But you really don't find it gorey? Gage bit the old mans jugular out like a human moutain lion and when the wife came back from the grave with brown sewer water dripping out of her eye socket it was genuinely repulsive. The brain hanging out of that ghost guy. Even church was gorilla glued to the ground with decay lol.

I hear saw and "human centerpede" are gorey but I never liked the saw franchise.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2221 on: October 30, 2022, 12:08:37 am »
Pet Sematary 1989 -  Brutally gorey and probably has the coolest cat in movie history easily. Church as a cat makes other cats look like Marie from the aristocats. Church is just a yellow eyed beast of the night. 92/100

Omen - Dark movie. Gripping plot. 94/100

"Brutally gory"

Good movie, don't get me wrong. But there's a whole lot out there you still need to see if you think Pet Sematary is brutally gory.

Do you have any recommendations? I'm always open as I been going down the classic must sees horror fans rave about. Next is children of the corn.

But you really don't find it gorey? Gage bit the old mans jugular out like a human moutain lion and when the wife came back from the grave with brown sewer water dripping out of her eye socket it was genuinely repulsive. The brain hanging out of that ghost guy. Even church was gorilla glued to the ground with decay lol.

I hear saw and "human centerpede" are gorey but I never liked the saw franchise.

Day of the Dead (1985) is always my go-to recommendation for a good gorefest. Not only is it gory, but it's also a great zombie movie.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 09:44:26 am by burningdoom »

« Reply #2222 on: October 30, 2022, 08:14:29 am »
Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest - Not a particularly good movie, but it has some terrific setpieces.

Zombi 2 - Good to great setpieces and cool locations but filled with most frustratingly inept people I've seen in a Zombie movie in a long time.

Edward Scissorhands - Nearly unparalleled production design, a career best turn from Danny Elfman, pitch perfect performances from each actor on screen, Tim Burton when he truly understood colors and contrast, and a heart meltingly sweet screenplay that is also gut-bustingly hilarious. It's a masterpiece on pretty much every conceivable level. The kind of film that can bring tears to my eyes just thinking about certain scenes or hearing a bar from the score.

Rosaline - Endearingly cheap theatrically staged production with a charming cast and witty script.  Delightful little surprise.

How the West was Won - It certainly is a BIG OLD HOLLYWOOD WESTERN. A movie that completely buys into its own self-importance, even if it is only occasionally justified. Feels like a watered down version of history, even among its peers. The pure cinematic experience on display is what sets it as solidly above average.

House (1977) - Like a movie were made of just the weirdest scenes from Evil Dead II and those scenes were also on acid. I get it, but it's not for me.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 08:54:17 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2223 on: October 31, 2022, 08:51:19 pm »
Werewolf by Night - Had to watch something proper for the night and figured I'd finally get around to this.  It's great.  I love that it doesn't overstay its welcome by being too long, padding things out, I enjoyed the 50's monster movie aesthetics to the entire thing, mixed with a bit of CG and excessive violence.  I'd love if they did more stuff like this, where it's just a small one shot stuff they put up on streaming every so often that's smaller scale and done to just introduce new characters.

« Reply #2224 on: October 31, 2022, 09:38:04 pm »
The Exorcist - It might blasphemy (lol), but I find the actual exorcism to be the least interesting part of the movie. I really enjoy just how... procedural it is. It's also not a film I've ever found particularly scary in general, and one I find to be more of a supernatural drama (blame my desentized Elder Milennial brain), although it does have an interesting feeling of dread.

Hellraiser (1987) - What a grimmy nasty film.  No notes.

Jeremiah Johnson - Terrific classic mountain man story.  Kind of wish it were a bit longer, as the last act gets a bit montage heavy.

Downton Abbey: A New Era - A better and more fitting send-off for these characters than the entire last season and the previous film.

Daisy is still the worst, however.

Misery - Bill Skarsgard's Pennywise wishes he were as scary as Annie Wilkes.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 08:01:26 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2225 on: November 05, 2022, 02:04:54 am »
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story - It's about as silly as you'd expect from a "True Story" biopic about him lol I wouldn't say it's crazy wacky, it's not UHF levels of outright goofy, but I had some fun with it.

« Reply #2226 on: November 05, 2022, 01:50:53 pm »
Diamonds are Forever - Simultaneously the best and worst of the Connery era films. Connery himself is pretty checked out, but the action is some of the best (especially the elevator fight and the downtown car chase) alongside some of the worst (terrible cold open). And what is up with those two hitmen?  I think I love them, but also hated every second they were on screen.  A real enigma of a film.

Club Dread - Doesn't strike the balance it needs at all.  There are some funny jokes, but most of the comedic characters don't work in the slightest.

Magnum Force - They really lean into the idea of being an American James Bond for this one. Just as formulaic, but filled with American violence and 70s nihlism instead of 60s British suavery. I think I liked this one more than the first, even if it did lose some of the edge.

North by Northwest - Not sure what I thought it would be like for all these years, but it wasn't this. Way more light that I expected. Woulda been better if Roger was doing all that spy stuff with his mom.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 08:27:31 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2227 on: November 07, 2022, 12:30:50 am »
Thor: Love and Thunder - Overall a fun time, though I was kinda mixed on the tone of the movie.  I'm totally fine with the humor, I do prefer Thor more with what he's become, for the most part, but I feel here more than ever, it's at odds with the more serious story going on.  Gor's story is pretty dark, what Jane is dealing with is pretty real, but it feels like it's being undercut by the frequent humor.  Like I don't want stuff TOO serious, otherwise we get something like Thor 2.  Raganarok sorta had a similar thing to it, but because the movie wasn't that serious aside from what happens to Asgard, it was fine. 

Guardians of the Galaxy feels like it's this perfected, but I could not explain why that is so.  I did enjoy myself, and maybe I'll soften on it abit more as times go on, it's absolutely not a bad watch in any ways, I just feel like more could've been done here.  Also I wish Gor had his comic look.  I'm not a stickler for comic designs, but it is a boring take for him.  Bale did a good job though, I just wish he was more than "Human alien with scars".

« Reply #2228 on: November 10, 2022, 04:30:09 am »
Event Horizon.

I have seen it before, once, a long time ago.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2229 on: November 10, 2022, 10:47:26 am »
Event Horizon.

I have seen it before, once, a long time ago.

Love that movie. One of the 90s best horror films.

« Reply #2230 on: November 11, 2022, 04:25:33 pm »
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - Easily the best MCU entry since Endgame, maybe since the first Black Panther. The film asks a lot of Letitia Wright which she totally knocks it out of the park - a nice surprise,  since I've never really been a fan.

Lou - They made 1,000 movies like this in the 90s, and we never had it better.  None of them starred Allison Janney, though.

Everybody Wants Some!! - It must be so hard to make a movie that feels this natural and looks this effortless.  So light, breezy, and just real.  Linklater is the master of the hang out picture.

Unstoppable - A super fun light on drama afternoon actioner. Fun cast, terrific sound design. Worth checking out on a lazy Saturday.

The Long Goodbye - Elliot Gould is maybe the coolest PI I've ever seen.

The Bad News Bears - Matthau's demeanor is much more "apathetic Uncle" than the film's reputation would have you believe. It's not particularly cynical, it just has an undercurrent toxic competitiveness that comes with the territory. The kid performances vary pretty greatly with Tatum O'Neal giving it to Matthau ever scene they share, but some of them are just not that good.

Bad News Bears - Far more cynical and acerbic than the original film, it also ends up being a bit too on the nose for a Linklater joint. Probably would have worked better if they let him set it in the 70s.

Ambulance - The most expensive $40 million movie ever made, Michael Bay's Heat.

A Fistful of Dollars - After watching a bunch of Westerns recently its easy to see why this made such a splash when it came out.  Phenomenal stuff.

The Menu - Biting and funny with incredible performances.  Could easily be my favorite film of the year in a lesser year than 2022.

Hook - Maybe the film that Spielberg made most unambiguously for children, it's easy to see the flaws as an adult, but Spielberg infuses it with such nostalgic magic that those flaws don't come close to sinking it. Dustin Hoffman is incredible, Maggie Smith oozes gravitas, Robin is terrific, Bob Hoskins slays, and it has what is maybe John Wlliams' best score - which is saying a lot.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - This is why bringing Sonic to Earth was a bad idea. Trying to do the whole Chaos Emeralds bit with regular humans doesn't mesh at all. Leans a bit too hard on improving, which I did not think was the case with the first film, but is still pretty funny in places.

Timecop - It's a shame this movie is such a cheap piece of crap because otherwise it's pretty good.

Bones and All - I wish we got to know more about the world in general, and that it were about 10% less about the love story. Not that it was bad, I just found everything else far more compelling. Also, Rylance is absolutely terrifying here.

Knight and Day - This is a ton of fun! Super cliche and has way too many sub-par CGI effects, but Cruise is charming as heck and Mangold pretty much always delivers.

Black Rain - A script that is elevated from the bottom floor by the talents of everyone involved. Terrific vibe, looks and sounds cool as hell, but the dialogue is abysmal, it's a bit racist (though I can't quite tell if it's a supposed to be a flaw of the characters or it's a fault of the screenplay), and the story is pure 80s cheese.

Violent Night - Too long and doesn't lean into the idea that it's the real Santa hard enough, but Harbour is terrific and they actually had the audacity to have a character say "Christmas dies tonight!" which was easily worth an extra half star.

The Purge: Anarchy - Leaps and bounds better than the first. Has pretty much everything I wanted from this bugnuts premise and felt the first was missing. Made in 1986 and released in 2014. Had a blast.

Ava - Wouldn't be half bad if it were competently made. Cheap, mostly bad action, obvious stunt doubles, awful inserts and green screen. Definitely an action movie from the director of The Help.

Pleasantville - Not quite as good as I remembered. Too much focus on the "real world" kids, and not enough on the budding self-awareness of the town and it's characters. There are a ton of interesting ideas here, but it does stumble a bit in the last act with some ham-fisted attempts to address racism. Still absolutely worth watching, though.

Pinocchio (2022) - Not much to say that hasn't been said by so many others at this point. A fresh, beautiful take on a classic story.

Bullet Train - Acid-soaked Agatha Christie by way of John Wick. Just the right amount of stupid.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - It's fine. The cast is charming, but the script is not that good and lots of subpar effects.

Missing Link - Perfectly servicable animated adventure fare.

Underwater - Hits the ground running and barely lets up across its brisk runtime. Economical no nonsense thrills. The kind of movie Netflix pretends to release 75 of every year.

Avatar - The most impressive 3 star film ever made, which I guess makes it at least a 3.5 star film.

Copshop - Fun cast, decent premise. Totally breezy sick day watch.

A Christmas Prince - Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad Christmas movie.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 08:04:48 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2231 on: December 20, 2022, 05:29:06 pm »
Better Watch Out - Terrific concept, decent execution, but held back by the shoestring budget and script that doesn't do a great job of papering over related shortcomings.  Fine little Christmas thriller, otherwise.

Black Adam - Decent ideas and themes and an atrocious script with awful tonal balance. Might have been something if it were a JSA film with a Black Adam or similarly styled villain.

The Three Musketeers (1993) - Semi-decent Prince of Thieves ripoff except for Chris O'Donnell. Surprisingly dark and sexual for a Disney movie, too.

Dreamcatcher - Hot damn this is the best bad movie I've seen in a minute. It's like series of non-related vignettes strung together under the semblance of telling a single coherent story. Every time I looked at my partner she had a totally perlpexed look on her face.

The Banshees of Inisherin - Dark, hilarious, and another movie that could have easily been my favorite movie in a year that wasn't as stacked as 2022.

Foxcatcher - I have no idea how this completely slipped by me back in 2014, and am so glad I finally watched it. It's a simmering cauldron of cold and deliberate rage. Masterful filmmaking.

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades - The sleaziest and most exploitive entry so far, but also the most consistently engaging.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Easily one of the better pre-Moore scripts, but a bit too long for how much story is actually here. There's also way too much reliance on low frame rate tricks and choppy edits to speed up the action. Overall, though, these are minor nits for a pretty solid entry.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 02:15:48 pm by Cartagia »

aliensstudios

« Reply #2232 on: December 22, 2022, 02:15:07 pm »
The Banshees of Inisherin - Dark, hilarious, and another movie that could have easily been my favorite movie in a year that wasn't as stacked as 2022.

This was the only movie I watched in the theater this year, absolutely loved it. If I don't get the bluray for Christmas I'm going to buy it myself. Can't wait to rewatch this one.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #2233 on: December 22, 2022, 02:16:52 pm »

This was the only movie I watched in the theater this year, absolutely loved it. If I don't get the bluray for Christmas I'm going to buy it myself. Can't wait to rewatch this one.

In Bruges was one of my favorite movies of the '00s, and this was easily the closest McDonagh has come to recapturing that high.

Noelle - Fun little Christmas movie from Disney that only works because of how utterly committed Anna Kendrick is to the bit.

Joe Versus the Volcano - Way, way, way weirder than I expected.  By the time Lloyd Bridges says "I want to hire you to jump into a volcano," it's not even the 10th most bizarre thing to have happened.

Christmas with the Kranks - Hallmark level stupidity but with real actors and an actual budget. Not enough to save it, but keeps it out of the total dregs.

In the Line of Fire - Near the peak of the 90s political action thriller pile. Malkovich leads a terrific cast by munching on all the scenery. Ace final act as well.

George of the Jungle - Probably the best live-action adaptation of a Saturday morning cartoon, but unfortunately held back by being an adaptation of a Saturday morning cartoon.

Paddington 1 + 2 - Purely magical family fare.  Total delights.

Trapped in Paradise - Decent jokes, cast I like, watched it endlessly as a 12 year old.

The Peanuts Movie - Cute story with gorgeous animation.

8-Bit Christmas - Glossy modernized take on A Christmas Story. Excellent young cast which often totally tanks stuff like this.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 05:29:01 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2234 on: December 27, 2022, 09:21:13 pm »
Avatar (2009) - I don't think I've watched this since the theater, where I saw it in 3D, which was a pretty impressive experience for the time and after I watched a few 3D movies, it was still the best as it did a lot to enhance the visuals and atmosphere, rather than just being a gimmick to flash in front of your face.  At the time, the movie itself was just alright, a visual treat with a basic story.  On rewatch, my view hasn't changed really.  Visually, it's still quite impressive even for a 13 year old film.  Story is about the same too, it's not bad, but I wouldn't say it's particularly interesting or unique.  Humans coming in to threaten the native population to get a resource is as common as it gets.  It's not bad at all, but I doubt I'll watch the movie again.

I'll probably go watch Avatar 2 next month as I want to see it in IMAX 3D.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 11:54:54 pm by kamikazekeeg »