Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280330 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2370 on: December 16, 2023, 05:23:35 am »
Shazam: Fury of the Gods - This was way more boring than I expected...also I only watched like half of it lol I might go back to it just for completion sake to say I watched all of the DCEU, since I'm going to watch Aquaman 2, but who knows.  It feels like two very contrasting styles to me, where you have this heavy fantasy stuff going on, that's kinda bland, and then very flat, bland, super hero stuff that feels like a mildly higher budget CW show with not particularly likeable characters (I feel like Billy said "Fam" in the first 1/3rd of the movie, way too much, like they want it to be his catchphrase).  I also say this as someone who liked the first movie, it was decent for what it was, but I also think it kinda came out at a good time where that and Aquaman were making up for the previous movies released.

Also I kinda want to randomly add Hbomberguy's recent plagarism video to my watch here, along with the Todd in the Shadow's supplement video to that one, because while they aren't movies, that's 5 hours of content I watched, like a documentary, mostly about a man who I had never heard of before, that lead to these two videos taking down an entire 300k subscriber youtube channel because of it.  Wild stuff lol

« Reply #2371 on: December 16, 2023, 02:05:35 pm »
The Muppet Christmas Carol - Nearly a perfect movie for me.  My big issue is that aside from one or two I find most of the songs to be overly treacly.

The Boy and the Heron - Another Hayao Miyazaki and Ghibli masterpiece. I have some minor niggles about the pacing and general questions about the world, but I'm thinking is in his Top 3-4 right now.

Black Dynamite - When it comes to mimicking the filmmaking style of their subject matter only Young Frankenstein has done it better. It's the commitment to that particular blaxploitation style that mines 90% of the humor here. It gets much broader in the second half tearing ass through like 3 different plots so it can showcase a few different scenarios / genres. This makes it lose focus a tad and a couple the jokes not really land, but I appreciate the ambition.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 09:16:36 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2372 on: December 18, 2023, 07:29:32 pm »
Black Dynamite - When it comes to mimicking the filmmaking style of their subject matter only Young Frankenstein has done it better. It's the commitment to that particular blaxploitation style that mines 90% of the humor here.

It's a great movie! I haven't seen it in awhile, but one of the biggest laughs I got was where Black Dynamite is fighting some henchmen, and one seems to unintentionally hit him for real (as if it were an outtake), he breaks character for a second and the camera jump-cuts to a new take with a different actor as the henchman.  ;D

« Reply #2373 on: December 18, 2023, 09:03:05 pm »
Black Dynamite - When it comes to mimicking the filmmaking style of their subject matter only Young Frankenstein has done it better. It's the commitment to that particular blaxploitation style that mines 90% of the humor here.

It's a great movie! I haven't seen it in awhile, but one of the biggest laughs I got was where Black Dynamite is fighting some henchmen, and one seems to unintentionally hit him for real (as if it were an outtake), he breaks character for a second and the camera jump-cuts to a new take with a different actor as the henchman.  ;D

Definitely one of the best gags in the movie!

Midnight Run -  A great adult targeted R-rated road trip  comedies from the 80s.  DeNiro and Grodin are great together, and  it's great to see a movie not let the fact that it is a comedy get in the way of having a plot.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 09:35:36 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2374 on: December 22, 2023, 02:11:54 am »
Rebel Moon: Part 1 - After Army of the Dead, I wasn't really expecting much out of Rebel Moon and while I can say it's better than Army of the Dead, that's not a high bar. 

It's Star Wars, but if it was also Seven Samurai, but also if it was just like a fantasy movie and it has all these different cultures of Viking, Japanese, Ancient Roman, mashed into one movie that has apparently been given what is functionally the "TV Edit", because they are going to release an R-Rated, longer, "Snyder Cut" later on.  Like Star Wars certainly has it's influences, nods to different cultures and cinema, but it usually feels fairly cohesive.  That cohesiveness isn't here and Snyder's writing and world building isn't good enough. 

It's not outright bad, it's okay, but I don't think I can recommend it much.  I'll check out Part 2, because it'll be there in 4 months, but nothing about this movie is turning me around on Snyder at all.

Barbie - It's goofy, it's "surreal", I think that's the word you can call it, it's just silly and weird and kinda fun.  I wouldn't say it's anything I love, though I appreciate all the set designs and such.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 03:35:58 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2375 on: December 23, 2023, 09:17:39 am »
Movies I saw in theaters this year in order of how much I enjoyed them:
Mutant Mayhem (twice in theaters, once on National Cinema Day)
Trolls Band Together (for free via Xfinity Rewards)
Saw X
Strays
No Hard Feelings
Sound of Freedom (for free via Angel)
Leo (for free via Netflix)
The Shift (for free via Angel)
Journey to Bethlehem (for free via Fandango)

Still planning to see Migration (for free via Xfinity Rewards) and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom before the end of the year. I imagine I'd place those around 4th and 5th but we'll see.

« Reply #2376 on: December 23, 2023, 07:34:37 pm »
Shazam! Fury of the Gods - Not so bad. Really appreciated getting to some some civilians just get absolutely annihilated and the willingness to have the villains to say the k-word. Also some real great monster designs.

Blockers - Very funny. I've been a bit late in my Cena reappraisal, but I think this release was around the time my compass started to spin. Dude is effortlessly funny these days, and it really shows here.

« Reply #2377 on: December 28, 2023, 05:58:48 am »
The new Aquaman ended up being my second favorite movie I saw in theaters this year! Not sure why people are so down on it because it's quite good.

Migration probably after Trolls for me in terms of favorite theater watches.

Not much to look forward to first half of the new year unfortunately. I'll possibly watch Madame Web, IF, Garfield, and Kung Fu Panda 4 if given free tickets. Possibly Ballerina if I watch and enjoy the John Wick movies before release. IF being the one I want to see most because of how good Free Guy was but even then it's not that highly anticipated.

Deadpool 3, Kraven and Saw XI second half of the year maybe Borderlands, Venom 3?, Sonic 3? Saw XI probably the most anticipated of this bunch given how enjoyable X was then probably Deadpool 3 and Kraven.

South Park movie is getting an anniversary re-release but I don't think I'd pay to see that.

For some reason the list I was looking at didn't include Joker: Folie à Deux. That seems like it could be annoying being a musical but hopefully by the time it releases it'll seem better.

Fixed also seems decent but also sounds like an animated version of Strays.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 08:45:49 am by weirdfeline »

« Reply #2378 on: December 29, 2023, 12:50:31 am »
The new Aquaman ended up being my second favorite movie I saw in theaters this year! Not sure why people are so down on it because it's quite good.

I'm expecting to be fine with the new Aquaman, the first one got a lot of crap too (Though it did gangbusters in the theater compared to this one lol), but it was probably like my top 3 favorite of the DCEU films next to Blue Beetle and The Suicide Squad lol  If it's just a goofy, fun, colorful adventure sorta thing again, I'll be great with that.

« Reply #2379 on: December 29, 2023, 09:59:30 am »
Doing a few rewatches while staying with family

Galaxy Quest
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
Violent Night
Barbie

« Reply #2380 on: December 29, 2023, 10:45:55 am »

I'm expecting to be fine with the new Aquaman, the first one got a lot of crap too (Though it did gangbusters in the theater compared to this one lol), but it was probably like my top 3 favorite of the DCEU films next to Blue Beetle and The Suicide Squad lol  If it's just a goofy, fun, colorful adventure sorta thing again, I'll be great with that.
Everything is stacked against this one. Everyone knows it's the last DCEU movie so there's no sequel after this, Jason Momoa is already being recasted as Lobo. There's no urgency for anyone to see it that follows DC movies like how people follow the MCU.

« Reply #2381 on: December 31, 2023, 10:39:11 am »
Tetris - It's got some real moments of brilliance, but it is a little too long and repetitive with some very clunky exposition (especially up front).

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - Got the itch and needed to watch this again.  It's on of those movies that I already loved, but it just keeps getting better every time I watch it.  Just a total masterpiece.

Meg 2: The Trench - It's s big, dumb, has really crappy VFX, but I had more fun than the first film. Reminded me of the wackier Showa era Godzilla films.

The Flash - Honestly? Much better than I thought it'd be, but it is still a bloated, (extremely) ugly, and cynical product of a soulless mega corporation pillaging the metaphorical graves of both ideas and people. That doesn't stop it from having a few decent laughs and memorable performances.

The Man Who Would Be King - Michael Caine and Sean Connery as best bud conmen.  Even with a terrible script that would still be entertaining.

Rush (2013) - Hemsworth's best performance by miles, but the film belongs to Brühl. Excellent dad-fernoon fare.

Blue Beetle - The absolute best superhero movie of 2006, and I don't mean that in a bad way.

Wing Chun - All of the action narrative is 100% first rate. The first 20-30 minutes or so are back-to-back-to-back sequences of Michelle beating unholy amounts of ass. However, the movie really struggles with messaging and the mistaken identity story. It was at least halfway into the moviebefore I realized that people were supposed to be mistaking Michelle's Wing Chun for a man.

The First Purge - Conceptually I really like it, but it takes way too long to get going and doesn't really deliver on the street gangs vs. Purge gangs idea.

The Beekeeper - So self-seriously stupid that it nears perfection.

Step Brothers - There's not much story here and I'm still not sure how outlandish Dale and Brennan are supposed to be in this world, but man is it funny.  Also, Will Ferrell hitting his nutsack on a snare drum is some of the best Foley work I've ever heard.

Jurassic Park - One of the all-time great action-adventure movies.  Obliterates all of the sequels.  Probably the best full animatronics ever created.  One of John Williams best scores.  The movie that made me love movies.

The Equalizer - A fine entry in the "certain set of skills" action subgenre.

The Family Plan - Its got its moments, but this is way too long.  If it were like 20-25 minutes shorter it would be way more tolerable.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 04:50:10 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2382 on: January 22, 2024, 05:40:55 am »
Saving Bikini Bottom: The Sandy Cheeks Movie

This leaked. It's releasing sometime on Netflix. Enjoyed it more than I expected to. Love the look of it. Laughed. The pug chase scene was pretty entertaining. I like the Sea Pals stuff too. Johnny Knoxville gave a nice voice acting performance. Weird this isn't for Paramount+.

« Reply #2383 on: January 24, 2024, 11:46:33 am »
Cha Cha Real Smooth - Dakota Johnson is great as Domino, but I was far more invested in every other relationship in the movie - particularly Cooper and Lola and Cooper and his mom. Overall a pretty solid slice-of-life picture.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 01:01:21 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2384 on: January 26, 2024, 02:37:19 am »
Monsters 103 Mercies Dragon Damnation, a very weird name for this lol It's based on a early one-shot manga by Oda that predates One Piece, but is set within the universe.  It's very quick, normal episode length, it's just this random little story that doesn't have much to it, but there's nothing wrong with it.  The really serious One Piece fans will probably get a kick out of it.