Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275763 times)

htimreimer

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #555 on: July 21, 2014, 06:49:00 am »
I just watched the RoboCop remake. It doesn't hold a candle to the original masterpiece. Don't bother with EmoCop.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              I'm gonna take this with a grain of salt, vary rarely is a remake better than the original and the best way to watch a remake is by judging by its one merits and then see how well it handled the concepts and themes of the original                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     from what I hear,  its just another action movie that trys to be its own film and shares vary little of the plot lf the original and I'm ok with that
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 06:50:41 am by htimreimer »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #556 on: July 21, 2014, 12:07:36 pm »
Horror movies seem to get remakes right. The Dawn of the Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Friday the 13th remakes were all excellent.

tripredacus

« Reply #557 on: July 21, 2014, 02:26:33 pm »
The Changeling. The title is a bit odd as you would expect a literal changeling. The movie title was used once during the film, which led to a Peter Griffin reaction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Changeling_%281980_film%29

Family Guy reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEi4I6UWuDQ

« Reply #558 on: July 21, 2014, 05:07:58 pm »
Horror movies seem to get remakes right. The Dawn of the Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Friday the 13th remakes were all excellent.

I love Dawn of the Dead.  In many ways I feel it's better than the original, just because there's just much more in it, though I certainly still appreciate the quiet tension of the original with its social commentary.  I just find the new one to be a lot more fun.  Stop there though, don't go look at any other "Of the Dead" remakes lol Maybe in ten or twenty years someone can remake "Land of the Dead" and turn it into a better movie lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #559 on: July 21, 2014, 07:07:20 pm »

I love Dawn of the Dead.  In many ways I feel it's better than the original, just because there's just much more in it, though I certainly still appreciate the quiet tension of the original with its social commentary.  I just find the new one to be a lot more fun.  Stop there though, don't go look at any other "Of the Dead" remakes lol Maybe in ten or twenty years someone can remake "Land of the Dead" and turn it into a better movie lol

I don't know about better than the original, definitely gonna have to disagree there. But I did enjoy it, a lot. And I liked Diary of the Dead, which was made after the Dawn remake. But yeah, Land of the Dead and Survival of the Dead are both terrible, TERRIBLE zombie movies.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #560 on: July 21, 2014, 07:08:00 pm »
The Fly is another great horror remake. The remake being the definitive version, even.

« Reply #561 on: July 21, 2014, 07:09:48 pm »

I don't know about better than the original, definitely gonna have to disagree there. But I did enjoy it, a lot. And I liked Diary of the Dead, which was made after the Dawn remake. But yeah, Land of the Dead and Survival of the Dead are both terrible, TERRIBLE zombie movies.

Dawn is better generally just because it is the original, but the remake is just so much more entertaining.  I hated Diary of the Dead.  I'm trying to think of the last non-comedy zombie film I liked.  The Dead maybe?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #562 on: July 21, 2014, 07:11:52 pm »
It's funny how fickle zombie movies are. They really have to give you that sense of dread and hopelessness, or they don't work. Zombies by themselves aren't scary, it's the situation getting worse and worse with no end in sight that's the scary part.

« Reply #563 on: July 21, 2014, 07:17:05 pm »
It's funny how fickle zombie movies are. They really have to give you that sense of dread and hopelessness, or they don't work. Zombies by themselves aren't scary, it's the situation getting worse and worse with no end in sight that's the scary part.

Slightly skewing the topic, It's funny when people claim that there are too many zombie movies are out there or zombie games also, but the really good ones can be rather far and few between.  I do agree that just a zombie gore fest isn't very good.  It needs more to be truly scary or even interesting.  It's hard to get that when a lot of zombie flicks just end up being gorefest trash.  I had high hopes for World War Z, but that failed its source material so ridiculously hard.  It wasn't terrible, but it could've been a truly epic zombie movie.  Heck, done right, it could've been an epic trilogy or even epic Band of Brothers style miniseries.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #564 on: July 21, 2014, 07:28:35 pm »
Yep. The Original Romero Trilogy & Diary, 1st Resident Evil, Zombie, The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, Return of the Living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead; that about covers the good zombie movies I've seen. (which the last two were more comedy than horror). I'm probably forgetting a couple, but those are the ones that stuck out for me.

« Reply #565 on: July 21, 2014, 08:09:26 pm »
The Fly is another great horror remake. The remake being the definitive version, even.

agreed.

« Reply #566 on: July 21, 2014, 08:10:59 pm »
Yep. The Original Romero Trilogy & Diary, 1st Resident Evil, Zombie, The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, Return of the Living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead; that about covers the good zombie movies I've seen. (which the last two were more comedy than horror). I'm probably forgetting a couple, but those are the ones that stuck out for me.

world war Z
28 days later
28 weeks later

not sure if these count as zombie movies as they are an infection

« Reply #567 on: July 21, 2014, 09:25:56 pm »

world war Z
28 days later
28 weeks later

not sure if these count as zombie movies as they are an infection

I generally count the 28 series just because they are so much like zombie movies, even if they are infection films.  Now that I think about it, they weren't undead in World War Z were they? Just relentless infected people.  Man, that's another problem with that stupid movie lol

pacpix

« Reply #568 on: July 30, 2014, 11:34:03 pm »
I just watched Sharknado 2: The Second One.  This is one of humankind's greatest achievements.  I loved the first movie, but this sequel blows it out of the water.  Sad to see that the next installment will be the last one.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #569 on: July 31, 2014, 12:43:59 am »
I just watched Sharknado 2: The Second One.  This is one of humankind's greatest achievements.  I loved the first movie, but this sequel blows it out of the water.  Sad to see that the next installment will be the last one.

I can't watch that garbage lol I hate movies that are bad for the sake of being bad lol