Author Topic: Recommend a Good RPG on DS?  (Read 4360 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Recommend a Good RPG on DS?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 08:18:17 am »
For me the best ones that I've played on the DS are the Dragon Quest ones.

^^ Alt for Soera?!  ^^

:P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 08:26:02 am »
Of course!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 08:26:47 am »

trunkwontopen

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 09:20:53 am »
Golden Sun Dark Dawn

Mentioning this as well. Especially for those that were fans of the original two for GBA. I kinda.. lost my interest in this game, then tried to pick it back up, and don't know where to go! There's too much talking.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 09:48:40 am »
*EXTREMELY* light-hearted, cute, and funny (I mean, c'mon...there's "pout points" that can change/influence and/or affect just about anything & everything); along w/ some pretty amusing breaking-down of the 4th wall...

...My World, My Way -

is lots of (IMHO) good fun :P

Haven't checked lately, but (being among Atlus' many low-print-run / hard-to-find games)...it might not be very cheap or easy to find anymore :(

desocietas

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 02:47:27 pm »
*EXTREMELY* light-hearted, cute, and funny (I mean, c'mon...there's "pout points" that can change/influence and/or affect just about anything & everything); along w/ some pretty amusing breaking-down of the 4th wall...

...My World, My Way -

Haven't checked lately, but (being among Atlus' many low-print-run / hard-to-find games)...it might not be very cheap or easy to find anymore :(

aw man now i need to add this one to the list of items to look for/covet..
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 02:50:43 pm »
Based on the cover art, I know I would have auto-passed on it if I saw it in the store.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 02:53:09 pm »
Based on the cover art, I know I would have auto-passed on it if I saw it in the store.

Same.  Just went to search for it in my old Atlus newsletters and I probably auto-passed it as well based on the art.  But the text description in the email is light-hearted and intriguing.  Guess I don't actually "read" my emails anymore :/

The same thing happened to me with Radiant Historia and a few others - I guess my default these days should really be "if it's Atlus, BUY IT."
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 03:01:16 pm »

Same.  Just went to search for it in my old Atlus newsletters and I probably auto-passed it as well based on the art.  But the text description in the email is light-hearted and intriguing.  Guess I don't actually "read" my emails anymore :/

The same thing happened to me with Radiant Historia and a few others - I guess my default these days should really be "if it's Atlus, BUY IT."

I really need to start remembering that also.

scott

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 11:43:33 am »
So did you like Radiant Historia?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 12:00:47 pm »
I just found out about this game and heard there is a DQ style RPG on it ... seems to be going for cheap online and if you can find it at Gamestop, its only $5. http://vgcollect.com/item/4890

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 04:08:43 pm »
So did you like Radiant Historia?

I'm still in the middle of it. I'm playing it while I'm stuck in my car just sitting there for 2 hours at a time at work. That's why I wanted a JRPG since they're quite time consuming.

So far, I'm really liking it. I love that the random battles aren't completely random, as you have to run into an enemy on the screen first. And I really like the grid-based battle-system. But compared to most JRPGs I've played, it's quite easy. It doesn't take long at all to grind to higher levels, and after you do so, you realize you probably didn't need to grind so much.

The alternate timelines can get confusing sometimes, when you're not sure exactly what node to travel to to fix something in the past. But it's small complaint, because that's what online guides are for when you're stuck.

godnightshade

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 08:09:29 pm »
I just found out about this game and heard there is a DQ style RPG on it ... seems to be going for cheap online and if you can find it at Gamestop, its only $5. http://vgcollect.com/item/4890

Retro Game Challenge is fun. I recommend it.

karyann

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 09:33:59 pm »

...My World, My Way -

Yeah, it's become pretty rare because according to something I read, they discontinued it faster than they usually do (but that could be bollocks, I don't remember where I read this). Anyway, I own it too, and it's really fun and light-hearted indeed! There's a lot of grinding to do, though, but the story is fun. It caught my attention at the store because the games were shown from the side, and I saw ATLUS besides the really girly-looking title and wondered when the hell did Atlus start making girly games? So I searched the net for more infos, and decided to give it a go :)

I also have to recommend Lost Magic, it's often overlooked but it's a really great game! You're a mage and can befriend some monsters to aid you, and you attack by drawing runes on the touchscreen. The more accurate the rune, the stronger the spell. You can also mix runes to create new spells. The story is great imho, and the game has to be pretty cheap by now I guess. I really don't know why it was so overlooked.  :-\