Author Topic: Wrestling Thread!  (Read 91659 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Wrestling Thread!
« Reply #780 on: December 22, 2017, 12:59:19 pm »
He wants to package it as content to sell to content-hungry digital streaming services.

For sure.  That's clearly the only avenue for it, especially if he can keep more control over it rather than through a tv network deal.  I personally don't care as I don't watch sports at all, it's just interesting to see Vince making what is likely another poor business decision.  What's next? Bring back the World Bodybuilding Federation?

I think he'll have no problem selling this time around since freaking everyone is going streaming.

« Reply #781 on: January 05, 2018, 01:50:09 am »
And once again Wrestle Kingdom turns out a fantastic show.  Not a bad match on the card and the only one that could be said to be weak, was the rumble, which is just for a bit of fun, and is on the pre-show.  The Fatal Four Way was impressive with only one slight botch and Kenny Omega vs Chris Jericho was one of Jericho's best matches I've seen in awhile.

« Reply #782 on: January 24, 2018, 03:47:05 am »
One of my favorite match types, the Rumble is coming up.  Always enjoy it, as while you rarely get much serious wrestling going on, it's usually entertaining for the surprise entrants and shenanigans that go on.  The women's side is also getting their first Rumble ever, so that could be something fun.  Not sure who I'm expecting to win this, but hopefully something interesting happens.  Worried we'll get another Reigns win or something lame like that, but lets hope not.

doafan

« Reply #783 on: January 28, 2018, 02:25:18 pm »
Royal Rumble is almost here and certanly am only interestd in one match ...

AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn Handicap match for the WWE Championship

... am just wondering if they will give Sami an opportunity for the belt, after all he defeated the phenomenal last Tuesday about of the rest of the matches I really don't care, heard that it will be an six hours event and honestly have been thinking months ago that we got tons of wrestling these days  >:(

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #784 on: January 28, 2018, 02:30:56 pm »
I'm interested in the two Royal Rumbles, for hopefully something interesting coming out of a Lesnar match for the championship, though I expect him to win and to be uninteresting outside of Strowman, and Styles vs Zayne and KO should be fun.

*EDIT*
Oh that Royal Rumble winner.  I was not expecting it, though it makes more sense now, knowing that he could choose a champion to go after.  I had automatically assumed it would be Reigns, because it's clear they are gonna push Reigns for the belt at Wrestlemania against Lesnar, but didn't realize that we could get that Nakamura vs Styles match at Wrestlemania instead, which will be so much better. This made the night for me.  Also that dope Rey Mysterio appearance was welcomed.

Strowman continues to have the best push I've seen in recent years.  He PUNCHED the metal chair.  Everything they do with him is so over the top, and yeah, stuff like lifting the Semi on his side is ridiculous, but it's part of the fun lol He sells being this big monster so well. I'm absolutely expecting a Lesnar win, but he makes this match fun.  Lesnar is still an incredibly unfun guy to watch, I don't think I've liked a match of his since...His final Undertaker stuff maybe? Mostly because they were doing submissions and strikes too and it wasn't all just suplexes and F5's.

Kairi Sane, yet another reason I love Japanese wrestlers, for their unique style.  Nakamura, Asuka, just awesome.  They might not have the promos skills here in the USA, but they are such uniquely fun personalities and both Kairi and Asuka could have some fun matches in the future.  I actually missed her NXT debut, but fun to see her here.

OH JESUS CHRIST. Vicki Guerrero.  Thank god I didn't have the volume that loud lol

The Women's Royal Rumble was fairly fun.  About on the level I expected with some entertaining guest spots, ignoring the screeching horror of Vicki Guerrero.  I actually was sorta expecting Asuka winning, but I just realized, that both Nakamura and Asuka won their respective Rumbles.  Two favorites of mine for sure. 

I forgot that there were Ronda Rousey rumors.  Weird show up at the end...also totally borrowing Rowdy Roddy Pipers style for some reason...and Asuka never picked her championship.  I guess that maybe on Raw, Asuka will pick a belt to go after and Ronda will try for the other?  Seems like it would've been better to have her show up on Raw first instead.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:16:50 pm by kamikazekeeg »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #785 on: January 29, 2018, 02:09:02 am »
The Women's Royal Rumble stole the show.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #786 on: January 29, 2018, 11:51:07 am »
Great Rumble. The Women's Rumble stole the show. They brought in everyone short of Sable. Beth Phoenix slamming Nia Jax was cool. Stroman/Lesnar was good, too, but dang did they make Kane look bad. Loved how Slater kept getting beat over and over again on his way to the ring, funny. And Mysterio was a great surprise.

« Reply #787 on: February 24, 2018, 06:36:57 pm »
Kinda funny watching a Top 10 for Elimination pod breaking spots and how in the past like 10 years, they have to try to sell that these flimsy plexiglass sheets are like death to them.  "BY GOD! THAT SHEET OF PLASTIC THAT COULD BE KNOCKED DOWN BY A LIGHT BREEZE HAS BROKEN HIM IN HALF!" It use to actually break back when Goldberg was last around, so it actually can pretend it's actually something.
 I wonder if it was still kinda dangerous to have around and that's why they changed.  Hoping for some fun at Elimination Chamber tomorrow, I love gimmick stuff like this, Royal Rumble, and TLC.  It just sucks how obvious it is that Roman is gonna win to go on to fight Lesnar.  Mostly just wanting to see Braun do something nuts, like flip a pod onto someone lol

« Reply #788 on: February 25, 2018, 10:41:19 pm »
Anyone else kinda annoyed by the "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey thing? Like it makes no sense to attach her to Piper other than it seems he was just her favorite wrestler.  Sure, the alliteration works, but it's not like she's Curtis Axel who could do a Mr. Perfect throwback being his son, and it was considered a joke gimmick when he was acting like Hulk Hogan.  Is it because she doesn't have much going on character wise since she understandably doesn't have much mic/character experience? Oh well...

At least we can expect a mixed team match of Kurt and Ronda vs HHH and Stephanie eventually.  Kurt and Ronda should call their team "The Olympians" lol

« Reply #789 on: February 26, 2018, 08:10:55 am »
Anyone else kinda annoyed by the "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey thing? Like it makes no sense to attach her to Piper other than it seems he was just her favorite wrestler.  Sure, the alliteration works, but it's not like she's Curtis Axel who could do a Mr. Perfect throwback being his son, and it was considered a joke gimmick when he was acting like Hulk Hogan.  Is it because she doesn't have much going on character wise since she understandably doesn't have much mic/character experience? Oh well...

At least we can expect a mixed team match of Kurt and Ronda vs HHH and Stephanie eventually.  Kurt and Ronda should call their team "The Olympians" lol
Her nickname in the UFC was Rowdy Ronda Rousey... so they are just carrying it over.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/rowdy-roddy-piper-talks-about-handing-his-nickname-over-to-ronda-rousey (Jan 3rd 2014)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #790 on: February 26, 2018, 10:56:39 am »
Did you guys watch the after show? Sounds like Cena is going heel.

I was hoping for Balor to win, oh well. Stroman was awesome.

« Reply #791 on: February 26, 2018, 04:45:33 pm »

Her nickname in the UFC was Rowdy Ronda Rousey... so they are just carrying it over.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/rowdy-roddy-piper-talks-about-handing-his-nickname-over-to-ronda-rousey (Jan 3rd 2014)

Ah, I never knew anything about her from UFC, so that would explain it.  Still don't really like it, as it was fine for UFC as a personal homage, but it's not really a big deal in the end.  I kinda just need to see her do something that makes me actually like her.

Didn't see the aftershow, but I knew for awhile that Reigns would win, it was pretty clear that he would to set up Lesnar vs Reigns.  Not looking forward to another Reigns run with the belt, but it'll at least get it off Lesnar, which is the most important thing.  There's talk of him going back to UFC, so that'll be a good thing to see him gone.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 04:48:05 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #792 on: March 19, 2018, 11:10:42 pm »
Interesting thought that came up while watching some wrestling lists on Youtube, but why don't we have managers/valets anymore? Lesnar has one with Heyman, and that's a big reason he gets over as much as he does.  Sure, Lesnar will always be the one in the ring, but Heyman gets him over with the big talk all the time about being the Conqueror and all that.  Otherwise Lesnar is just a dull meathead who suplexes people a bunch.

It doesn't always need to be done in a way to make someone seem tough or mysterious, it works for the cowardly heel, or maybe just creating a dynamic to work off of, like kinda seen with some of that Tidus Worldwide thing, where they brought in Dana Brooke to play like a "statistician" or whatever it is she does, and Tidus kinda playing the guy in charge. Another would be Paul Ellering who is with Authors of Pain.  Lana used to be good for Rusev, who's been great with other stuff lately.

We don't get as much of this anymore...Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart, Paul Bearer (Who I didn't know worked as a manager named Percy Pringle III before Undertaker), this kind of stuff can be great and can help take some of the workload off wrestlers who struggle with the mic.  Best thing about it is that it's a great thing for wrestlers who maybe retired or can't wrestle like they use too anymore.  Like it's unlikely we'll see Sting wrestle again, but him managing some younger hotshot? That's a good way to bolster someone up, especially if they got a good gimmick to work with.  Shawn Michaels would be another as he's regularly showing up at events.  Mick Foley when he comes back would perfect to have back after he's all rested up from all of his surgeries last year.

It's just an element that I think has fun aspects to it if done right and would kinda throw in some fresh voices into promos and backstage segments.

« Reply #793 on: March 20, 2018, 05:48:14 pm »
Surprising bit of news, but WWE actually medically cleared Daniel Bryan to wrestle!  I hope he can stay safe this time, but I wonder if he'll actually fit into more of a part time role than full time.  He may be cleared, but he's had a few too many concussions and had a seizure after one before.  We also know of the major dangers that come from too many concussions, so I feel like they'll use him sparingly.  There's no way he could risk a full time schedule.  This wouldn't something as barely used as Lesnar, but probably very few house shows and not wresting every single week.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2018/3/20/17144382/daniel-bryan-cleared-in-ring-return-wwe-doctors-wrestlemania-34-smackdown

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #794 on: March 30, 2018, 12:51:11 pm »
Don't know if any of you would be interested, but I posted on my Auction Thread here on the boards about it:

Ultimate Warrior Signed Program Guide/Match Card from 1988 House Show where he main-evented:

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,4552.75.html