Author Topic: Wrestling Thread!  (Read 91094 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Wrestling Thread!
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2014, 11:55:34 pm »
OOOOOOOOHHHH YEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH! 

THE TOWER OF POWER TOO SWEET TO BE SOUR!  CAN YOU DIG IT?!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2014, 12:04:34 am »
I can feel the madness.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2014, 02:06:58 pm »
WWE Network is free in November!

That is all.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2014, 12:04:37 pm »

And the belt is back where it should be. Roode is the best wrestler today, IMO, and no one deserves that belt more than him as far as I'm concerned. It's great to see a real champ again in wrestling! And damn what a great in-ring chemistry Roode and Lashley have in the ring, who he wrestled to earn that championship.

TNA may not have gotten a lot of things right lately, but this was a good move. Plus adding this extra layer with MVP is keeping it interesting. Let's hope that this refocus in the main-event division will trickle-down to the rest of TNA. (But to give them due, the tag-team division has really been heating up, too.)

He works better as a heel, though. I'm betting it won't be long before he turns into the old Bobby Roode.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2014, 12:06:14 pm »
WWE Network is free in November!

That is all.

Yeah, 2 posts one after the other. Sorry guys if that's not okay, but they were two different subjects.

I'm REALLY enjoying the original stuff. Monday Nights Wars has been great. I already know a lot of it, but there are still little tidbits here and there that hadn't come out before. (Such as the fact that I never knew Bischoff had zero intention of hiring Luger back and gave him a lowball offer not expecting him to take it, only to have him take it.)

I really liked the Warrior documentary they released for Warrior week, too. But you could also tell it was put together quickly. It didn't touch on his WrestleMania 12 return like at all, which I completely missed the first time around so I would've liked to hear more. I also would've liked to see more of his World-Class career. I never knew he wrestled down there.

And the Rise and Fall of ECW was pretty enlightening for me. I know ECW came off on T.V. as a completely anarchic, chaotic organization. But I had always thought it was well-planned chaos masterminded by Heyman. Turns out the creative process was just as wild as the final product.

They may have hooked me, considering there's no more obligation period.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2014, 02:13:19 pm »

I just finished watching the Ric Flair vs. Dusty Rhodes Rivalries episode on WWE Network. LOVE the documentary style of this show and Monday Night War. I always thought those type or releases were best WWE DVDs. So it's cool that they made some series on the Network with this style. They know how to make a good documentary.

I didn't realize how intense things got then. According to this special, these two guys are a big part of the reason we started seeing more emotionally-driven feuds culminating with high-impact, often violent clashes.

Really cool stuff.

So what were some of your favorite rivalries in wrestling?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2014, 03:12:28 pm »
Are you talking full bore rivalries or just storyline feuds. 

I was a big fan of the Ultimate Warrior back in the day.  When him and The Undertaker feuded I was about 8-10 years old.  The Warrior got locked in a damn coffin.  That shit was real to me!  Then, Jake The Snake "trained" the Warrior in the ways of darkness only to turn on him.  Never Trust a Snake.  I still think this is my favorite feud to this day. 

Hogan and Sgt. Slaughter was awesome.  It was right in the middle of the Gulf War.  Slaughter was an amazing bad guy. 

Of course all the nWo vs WCW stuff.  That was an awesome time to be a fan.  Then the nWo into 2 groups and it sucked.

As far as rivalries that lasted?  Hell, I have no idea.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2014, 03:46:29 pm »
Are you talking full bore rivalries or just storyline feuds. 

I was a big fan of the Ultimate Warrior back in the day.  When him and The Undertaker feuded I was about 8-10 years old.  The Warrior got locked in a damn coffin.  That shit was real to me!  Then, Jake The Snake "trained" the Warrior in the ways of darkness only to turn on him.  Never Trust a Snake.  I still think this is my favorite feud to this day. 

Hogan and Sgt. Slaughter was awesome.  It was right in the middle of the Gulf War.  Slaughter was an amazing bad guy. 

Of course all the nWo vs WCW stuff.  That was an awesome time to be a fan.  Then the nWo into 2 groups and it sucked.

As far as rivalries that lasted?  Hell, I have no idea.

Agreed and all awesome picks!

I'm particularly fond of Jake the Snake, Ultimate Warrior, and the nWo 3 of my all-time favorite things in wrestling. Despite all the problems Snake had, he sure knew how to work a crowd.

And I still have and wear an nWo shirt to this day.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2014, 05:00:09 pm »

How freaking stupid! Half of America, including my area, doesn't get this on their cable package! They'd reach more people with syndication!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2014, 12:19:22 pm »
WHAT?! DID YOU SEE THAT MAIN-EVENT?!!

That's what a damn main-event should be! That was one helluva match, followed by one helluva reveal! And it's about time Ziggler got his spot to shine.

Go watch at least the main-event of Survivor Series if you haven't seen it yet!

And the Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt match was pretty good, too.

jcalder8

« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2014, 11:50:04 pm »
The end of the main event was pretty exciting but overall I thought it was just an ok ppv. Honestly though I have never been a big fan of  Survivor Series.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2014, 08:14:39 am »
I don't watch wrestling these days, but I used to love the old school Survivor Series format. 4 or 8 teams of 4. If a dude was eliminated, he was done for the night. Whoever still has a team at the end of the night was the winner. It was awesome... in 1990.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2014, 11:27:55 am »
I don't watch wrestling these days, but I used to love the old school Survivor Series format. 4 or 8 teams of 4. If a dude was eliminated, he was done for the night. Whoever still has a team at the end of the night was the winner. It was awesome... in 1990.

That tradition still endures. There were a few traditional SS matches at the PPV this year, including the main-event.

kr2nist

« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2014, 08:52:08 am »
So what were some of your favorite rivalries in wrestling?

As I've been a huge fan of wrestling ever since I was little, I've seen so many rivalries that it's not even funny.  But some of my favorite rivalries include:  Hulk Hogan vs. Andre The Giant, Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Mr. McMahon, Bobby Roode vs. James Storm, Michael Cole vs. Jerry "The King" Lawler, and WWE vs. WCW.

Now I realize some of my choices were mainly storyline-driven feuds, but that's the one thing I miss about the old school days of wrestling -- better quality storylines to go along with the in-ring action.  Plus, not to mention how I also miss the days when WWE wasn't so PG-rated and kid-friendly.  It's so squeaky clean anymore that it's practically nauseating.
kr2nist (old school gamer and very awesome cartoonist!)
Currently owned systems:  XBox 360, XBox One

kr2nist

« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2014, 08:58:31 am »
Seeing that this is a wrestling-dedicated thread, I thought I would contribute a masterpiece drawing of a hardcore icon legend.....

(....and my god, I can't believe I drew this like ten years ago!....)
kr2nist (old school gamer and very awesome cartoonist!)
Currently owned systems:  XBox 360, XBox One