Author Topic: What are your other hobbies?  (Read 10294 times)

Re: What are your other hobbies?
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2013, 03:56:14 am »
Homebrewing beer.
This space for rent.  Affordable rates.  Inquire within.

insektmute

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2013, 12:30:54 pm »
Hey Soera, I'm into piercing too.  :)

At least, I used to be...  I was going to start piercing part-time while doing my photography full-time, but then I had to move to the middle of nowhere...  Now I'm a manager with a corporation that puts a strong emphasis on a "wholesome" image - so no more piercings for me.  I no longer have any of my facial piercings, and had to take out the more "extreme" ones in my ears too.  :(

So sad. The piercings suited you much better than the wholesome look! :)

It's a pretty lame state of affairs when tattoos and piercings can still disqualify you for a job in 2013, even in a city like PDX.

soera

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2013, 10:58:24 am »
I agree with that statement. We are no longer living in the stone ages and people do different things ... what if having a cell phone was grounds for losing/not obtaining a job? Would people get rid of their cell phone? Hell no they wouldnt. Appearance isn't everything. I would have assumed that a boss would be more interested in things like work ethic, skill in said job, attitude, etc instead of whether a person had a fucking earring in their nose or not. My step son's friend is 17 and has his ears sized to a 2 gauge. He is interested in joining the Marines. They simply told him he has to have his ear holes fully closed before he would be allowed entrance. Seriously? They dont mind the holes you get in your body from a fucking machine gun shooting at you but if you do it yourself with a piece of jewelery, you are not worthy of their acceptance.

Sorry if I sound bitter but Ive been fighting the piercing battle with jobs since 93 when I joined the Navy. I had my ears pierced and an eyebrow piercing. I got permanently barred from the cafeteria (chow hall) cause I had a tie tack in my ear one day. 20 years now ... people still haven't gotten a clue. Its sad and ridiculous how petty people and corporations can be.

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2013, 11:10:25 am »
I agree with that statement. We are no longer living in the stone ages and people do different things ... what if having a cell phone was grounds for losing/not obtaining a job? Would people get rid of their cell phone? Hell no they wouldnt. Appearance isn't everything. I would have assumed that a boss would be more interested in things like work ethic, skill in said job, attitude, etc instead of whether a person had a fucking earring in their nose or not. My step son's friend is 17 and has his ears sized to a 2 gauge. He is interested in joining the Marines. They simply told him he has to have his ear holes fully closed before he would be allowed entrance. Seriously? They dont mind the holes you get in your body from a fucking machine gun shooting at you but if you do it yourself with a piece of jewelery, you are not worthy of their acceptance.

Sorry if I sound bitter but Ive been fighting the piercing battle with jobs since 93 when I joined the Navy. I had my ears pierced and an eyebrow piercing. I got permanently barred from the cafeteria (chow hall) cause I had a tie tack in my ear one day. 20 years now ... people still haven't gotten a clue. Its sad and ridiculous how petty people and corporations can be.

Completely agree with this. While not a piercing fan myself, I've never understood why a piercing might disqualify someone from being a completely competent worker.
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

htimreimer

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2013, 02:56:31 pm »

Completely agree with this. While not a piercing fan myself, I've never understood why a piercing might disqualify someone from being a completely competent worker.
the reason for the army not allowing piercing is that to them it not "clean and proper" and vary "disrespectful", respect & C&P are vary important to army and they are vary strict on what counts

insektmute

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2013, 03:08:30 pm »
I think you're missing the point, htimreimer. The fundamental issue being raised is that piercings, tattoos, weird hair, etc. doesn't make someone less respectable, capable, or clean and proper, let alone unsuitable for a position, even in the military.

More often than not, this is all down to little more than a generation gap. Middle-aged people and seniors who've been in lockstep with the status quo for decades, lack any sense of themselves, and are incapable of seeing merit in anything that's too far outside the bland, conservative utopia they've pieced together in their heads.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:15:00 pm by insektmute »

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2013, 05:22:35 pm »
That coffee table is so awesome.

I second that!

I Make music and draw.
I haven't been drawing as much as I'd like to, and desocietas makes me look like a fool  ;D
Took a small break from music, making a few chiptunes right now. (been on a huge gaming kick)

You can hear my music here, https://soundcloud.com/torvez

(It's also plastered on my signature!  ::))
I make music.
I'm really cool, you should tell your friends about me :P

https://soundcloud.com/torvez

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2013, 04:48:27 am »
@scott, is there any way you could teach us how to build that cab?
I've been wanting to make one for a while, but never got around to looking into it,
I make music.
I'm really cool, you should tell your friends about me :P

https://soundcloud.com/torvez