Author Topic: Franchises that should be games  (Read 1611 times)

sin2beta

Franchises that should be games
« on: February 21, 2013, 09:13:17 pm »
I recently have been on a movie franchise kick for games. Most are really bad. But this did get me wondering, what would be a great franchise to build a game on?

For me it is Battle Royale. If you have not seen it, it is available on netflix streaming. Watch it. It was the eerily similar "inspiration" to the Hunger Games. But with over the top Japanese styling. The basic no spoiler plot is that a class gets sent to an island where only one person can survive. If no one fights, every one dies. Plus, there is always an ultra violent ringer brought in.

It would be neat to have an entire island with stock piles, shelters, and tens of other contestants waiting to take you out. Everyone gets one "special" item. Some really useful, some not so much. It is all luck. The multiplayer would be really neat. Working together and forming alliances is a great way to get to the end. But the alliances HAVE to break before the timer runs out.

What franchises do you think would make good games?
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

pacpix

Re: Franchises that should be games
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 10:55:26 pm »
I think UHF would make an awesome movie game!  I don't know what it would be, but any game with Weird Al has to be awesome.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 11:00:56 pm »
I think UHF would make an awesome movie game!  I don't know what it would be, but any game with Weird Al has to be awesome.

As long as you can go around killing people as Gandhi and Conan the Librarian and Rambo Weird Al, I'm all for it.

blipcs76

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 10:01:32 am »
Not really franchises, but I've thought about some well-loved movies that would make excellent games.

Pulp Fiction
Done in the modern Telltale adventure game style, it could be great.

Big Trouble In Little China
Such a fun movie!  Would be a great third-person action/adventure game.  It already has four perfect boss characters ;)  And Jack f'in Burton.

The Goonies
Not the Goonies II on the NES (or even the closer Famicom version), but one that closely follows the plot of the movie.  Could be a great RPG-puzzle game, giving each kid unique abilities and skills.

Equilibrium
Such an amazing action film.  It's begging to be turned into a futuristic DMC-style action game.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 12:55:03 pm »
Just a couple off the top of my head:

Battle Angel Alita - Hand it over to a studio like Grasshopper Manufacture, make it violent and gritty as hell, and you've got a potentially great action game. There is an action RPG on PS1 based on it, but that seems kind of an odd fit to me.

Blade of the Immortal - I would kill to see an Onimusha-style action-adventure game based on this series, especially if it was done in an art style similar to the color paintings Samura does for the tankoubon covers.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 02:13:25 am »
Blade Runner-Point and Click adventure style, I know we have Snatcher and thats great but I think its a perfect movie to expand upon in games

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 12:27:52 am »

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 01:49:05 am »
Umm, they already did that - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_(1997_video_game) :D
Holy crap! wow I didnt even know that! Thank you I'll have to check this out

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 02:18:53 am »
My pleasure!

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 02:39:02 am »
Big Trouble In Little China
Such a fun movie!  Would be a great third-person action/adventure game.  It already has four perfect boss characters ;)  And Jack f'in Burton.
It exists! However it's for the ZX Spectrum, C64 and CPC, so it's... uh... *cough*

Blade Runner-Point and Click adventure style, I know we have Snatcher and thats great but I think its a perfect movie to expand upon in games
I played this back in 1999 oh god.

It was interesting, but you don't really play as Deckard, you're some other guy who's running a case at the same time. With similar results. It's... weird now that I think about it. I played the game years ago before watching the movie, and now that I think about it, it makes little sense when put next to the movie. Hrm. Still, it was interesting, and a decent project before Westwood became the C&C studio. Plus it has multiple endings.

ko1ru

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 09:04:35 am »
Nothing.  I prefer film and movie franchises to stay away from my vidya games.  I can't think of a single game based on or related to a movie that was actually good, nor can I think of any that have the potential to be more than garbage.

Anime, on the other hand, is entirely acceptable to be translated into games.  There are several games based on/related to anime that were actually good.  Or take Gungrave: an anime that was based on a game.  ;)

psydswipe

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 10:14:42 am »
How about Firefly which has been both a short-lived television series and a movie. I don't think it would be too difficult to continue the story and get the actors to provide the voices. It could be like Mass Effect with a ship and crew, and third-person shooting, or an adventure game in the same style as Telltales' The Walking Dead game.

sin2beta

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 12:30:56 pm »
How about Firefly which has been both a short-lived television series and a movie. I don't think it would be too difficult to continue the story and get the actors to provide the voices. It could be like Mass Effect with a ship and crew, and third-person shooting, or an adventure game in the same style as Telltales' The Walking Dead game.

I would definitely play a firefly game. Especially since the XBox Buffy game was really good.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c