Author Topic: What is the Next Big Music Fad?  (Read 4844 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

What is the Next Big Music Fad?
« on: February 26, 2013, 01:07:56 pm »
Seems to me that rap is getting overblown to the point hair metal was at in the late 80s. People's grandma's are listening to rap, even. So it's only a matter of time before the bubble bursts, and the fad ends, and only the true rap fans will remain.

When that happens, what do you think the next big music fad is gonna be?

soera

Re: What is the Next Big Music Fad?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 01:17:01 pm »
I dont even consider rap music. One on of the other forums I go to, my signature is "You cant have Crap without RAP". Most music in this century has been pathetic. I know death metal and all that is supposed to be edgy but most of it sucks. When you cant understand the lyrics, what is the point of the rest of it? Beiber needs to take a long dive off a short cliff and anything associated with him needs to follow. Gaga makes me gag. Anything from American idol is lame and really just a bunch of the same crap that you hear all day in every clothing store on the planet. I dont think I have bought hardly anything new in years save the last few Disturbed releases. Speaking of, David Draiman is now fronting a new band called Device. Hopefully it lives up to Disturbed status. Tool as well is putting out a new anniversary set (not sure if the material is new however) some time soon.

Hopefully the current/future generations realize the next music fad should actually be "music".

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:34:54 pm »
rap & pop music are overblown just like hair metal in the 80s but i'm not sure what will be the next fad, just looking at the billboards hot 100 we got of course pop & rap but we also have love ballads,indie rock and folk music are playing as well, so its hard to say ware its going but change is coming and artists like lady gaga and katy perry are noticing and adapting to it, with katy getting in to adult alternative and gaga is experimenting with genres and is trying to get a jazz album out this year with tony bennett

sin2beta

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:48:27 pm »
I actually don't mind some rap. I really like mos def for example.

I think a fad is difficult to guess. You basically have to get a genre that has a lot of quality and a decent following. Then find a few bands with mildly catchy music and willing to sell out. Then this has to be combined with a label willing to market the hell out of them. I think music fads are mainly created from marketing rather than taste. Metallica sold out in the 80s, Green Day sold out in the 90s, etc.

But also, is rap really that popular still? I teach and very few of my students are into rap.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 06:20:13 pm »
Trap has gotten very big. Especially with the harlem shake, but i dont expect to hear trap on the radio any time soon.

darko

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 10:18:04 pm »
This is pretty big at the moment, and I kind of like it:

sin2beta

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 10:29:38 pm »

Bouncin' to that jam yadadamean!
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 10:39:57 pm »
What ya know bout wearing a wolf on ya noggin?

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 10:46:14 pm »

Its a good song, but it's popularity is already dying down.

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 10:49:55 pm »
Uh, what? I heard that song months ago. o_o;;

soera

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 11:21:09 pm »
I must be the only person that hasnt ever heard that ... but then again, that is not in my area of listening either.

darko

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 12:19:54 am »
Uh, what? I heard that song months ago. o_o;;

Ha. Yeah, I don't really keep up with music too much. At least not with new popular music. I basically just listen to what I like and occasionally something comes up on Pandora that I feel the need to check out.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:24:17 am by darko »

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 09:05:53 pm »
Well the rap you guys speak of isnt rap. Its rhyming pointless words. If u guys didnt listen to mainstream rap maybe you would like it
 I mainly listen to metal. But i got to have meaning to my music as far as rap goes there is a hell of alot of meaning in immortal technique and jedi mind tricks and 2pac its almost like poetry. Thats wut rap is supposed to be. So next time you call rap crap don't listen to shitty artist that the media impowers.
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 09:11:37 pm »
I actually don't mind some rap. I really like mos def for example.

I think a fad is difficult to guess. You basically have to get a genre that has a lot of quality and a decent following. Then find a few bands with mildly catchy music and willing to sell out. Then this has to be combined with a label willing to market the hell out of them. I think music fads are mainly created from marketing rather than taste. Metallica sold out in the 80s, Green Day sold out in the 90s, etc.

But also, is rap really that popular still? I teach and very few of my students are into rap.

Yeah its still pretty popular. I agree mos def is pretty good.
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

htimreimer

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 04:27:26 am »
Well the rap you guys speak of isnt rap. Its rhyming pointless words. If u guys didnt listen to mainstream rap maybe you would like it
 I mainly listen to metal. But i got to have meaning to my music as far as rap goes there is a hell of alot of meaning in immortal technique and jedi mind tricks and 2pac its almost like poetry. Thats wut rap is supposed to be. So next time you call rap crap don't listen to shitty artist that the media impowers.
here is some good rap