Author Topic: Always-On DRM  (Read 4047 times)

htimreimer

Always-On DRM
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:26:02 pm »
what do you think of always on drm?

i hate always on drm and if companies like ea want my money they will skip it

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Always-On DRM
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:38:42 pm »
I hate it because what about playing offline?

I have my Xbox 360 in my extra room with no internet because I have the original model 360 that isn't wireless, and I keep it in the extra room so I can game without fighting for the T.V. with my wife who wants to watch T.V. I bring the Xbox 360 out to the living room when needed for downloads and updates, but normally it's not connected.

sin2beta

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:06:10 pm »
I dislike DRM in general, but will be honest in saying I don't hate it enough to give it all up completely. Always on DRM seems to be the final straw for me though.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

htimreimer

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 05:07:14 am »
you know if companies want piracy to end, they have to give the buyer a reason to buy and  as of now there is no reason to buy most games, look at what you get when you pay that 60$, a black and white manual that only talks about the very basics of the game, DVD/Blu-ray Disk, a plastic case and maybe a code of some kind and now your game can come with some bullsh!t DRM that could cause the game to go down temporarily or permanently at anytime and i'm not paying 25+ dollars for a digital download.

the way the video game industry is right now with its business practices and how they treat the customers is likely gonna cause another video game crash and this will be a good thing 

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 06:58:44 am »
you know if companies want piracy to end, they have to give the buyer a reason to buy and  as of now there is no reason to buy most games, look at what you get when you pay that 60$, a black and white manual that only talks about the very basics of the game, DVD/Blu-ray Disk, a plastic case and maybe a code of some kind and now your game can come with some bullsh!t DRM that could cause the game to go down temporarily or permanently at anytime and i'm not paying 25+ dollars for a digital download.

the way the video game industry is right now with its business practices and how they treat the customers is likely gonna cause another video game crash and this will be a good thing
i couldn't agree more

jobocan

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 08:02:54 am »
It's a problem. I mean, we've had 2 prominent examples of it being a terrible idea already. Diablo 3 was unplayable for a couple days, and now SimCity is unplayable. It's ridiculous to not let someone who paid for his game actually play it at any time they want.

Oh, the industry has been crashing for the last couple years already. It's just not in plain sight as it was in '83.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 10:34:03 am »
I'm ok with some protection but when it hinders my hours of play that is a different story. As I see it I shouldn't have to connect to the internet everytime I want to play a game by myself.. Of course I can understand why Blizzard did what they did with that Diablo 3. It works for most part you can play by yourself or game with others. but They didn't want stupid people to ruin the game for others with hacks and whatnot. Of course they need to do something that makes sure it is flawless as far as gameplay 3 days offline is unacceptable in my opinion.
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 11:06:59 am »
I find myself becoming less and less tolerant of this sort of crap as time goes on. There's way too much extraneous garbage being attached to games, too many developers that are willing to sacrifice quality for bullshit, and I find it's getting easier over time to stop supporting it. I already gave up on Assassin's Creed, and I suspect Dead Space (among others) is soon to follow.

Something's gotta break eventually, and I'd rather see greedy publishers die so that more deserving ones can flourish. More companies need to take a page from folks like Atlus, Nippon Ichi, and CD Projekt RED.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 11:08:39 am »
I'm kinda confused insektmute, what kinda crap is added to Assassin's Creed? or are you talking about the later part of the series?
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 02:44:02 pm »
I dropped Assassin's Creed because they turned it into a yearly cash cow, and the quality dropped sharply enough that I wanted off the bus. Way too many arbitrary changes, sloppy level design, superficial writing, idiotic Uplay implentation, endless streams of DLC, just... ugh.

It's sad, because they did a really great job with ACII, but I'm perfectly content with not supporting it beyond that.

scott

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 02:56:06 pm »
I really liked Assassin's Creed III. But then again, I like the American Revolution. I'm not sure about ACIV... it might be the 1st one in the series I don't buy at release and wait til it drops in price.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 08:04:21 pm »
Speaking of douchebags in business suits, anyone else following the SimCity debacle? Way to go EA, you're doing an awesome job of reinforcing my decision to boycott you again!

jobocan

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 10:22:53 pm »
Speaking of douchebags in business suits, anyone else following the SimCity debacle? Way to go EA, you're doing an awesome job of reinforcing my decision to boycott you again!

Yeah, it's one of the 2 prominent examples I mentioned in my post (the other being Diablo 3). I'm gonna be surprised at this point when game companies don't try to be asses to their loyal paying customers.

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 12:52:52 pm »
D'oh, I dunno how I missed that you mentioned SimCity. Much derp lately.

I'm with you, though. I've opted to react by making a more conscious effort to support niche developers instead, or catch up on stuff I've had wishlisted for a long time. It may not have much of an impact on anyone's quarterly results, but I've picked up a ton of really great games as a result.

Potential downside: It's reignited my lust for a Saturn and PC Engine. Works for me!

scott

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 01:16:07 pm »
Potential downside: It's reignited my lust for a Saturn

Buy my games! >_>
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread