Author Topic: What Are Some Old Games You Never Got To Play?  (Read 2540 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

What Are Some Old Games You Never Got To Play?
« on: March 15, 2013, 12:31:56 am »
Sorry if this thread already exists. I figured it had to in this forum, but I did a search and went a few pages back and didn't see it.

-Castlevania 64 & Legacy of Darkness (N64) - Never did have an N64 back in the day. It's a system that I've been retroactively exploring, since I owned a PS1 then a Dreamcast back then. These are 2 games on the N64 that hasn't found their way to my collection yet. I've heard both great things, and bad things about the game so I'm curious to discover them on my own, since I'm a Castlevania fan.

-Chrono Cross (PS1) - Loved Chrono Trigger on SNES, never have played this sequel.

-The Elder Scrolls: Arena & Daggerfall (PC) - I didn't discover the Elder Scrolls games until I played Morrowind on XBox (original). I know they're free to download on Bethesda's website. And I have done so. But I can't get the dang things to run on Windows 8. I absolutely adore Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. So I'd love to be able to experience the series' roots.

-Final Fantasy VI - It is in my collection, as I've recently acquired it via Final Fantasy Anthology and it is high on my backlog of games to play, so soon it shall be played.

-Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn) - A fantastic looking shoot-em up that just looks stunning. I want to play it so bad, but the price is so high.

-Panzer Dragoon: Zwei (Saturn) - I love the first Panzer Dragoon game, and I enjoyed Panzer Dragoon: Orta even more. This is the only one in the main series I haven't played. And I've heard from many PD fans that it's the best entry in the series.

-Panzer Dragoon: Saga (Saturn) - I don't ever see myself playing this one as it's just too dang far out of my price range. I'll never pay $200 for a single video game. And I don't pirate games.

-Parasite Eve 2 (PS1) - Never did get this game when it was new, and now I just haven't come across it again.

-Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth (N64) - I'm a big shoot-em up fan, and I have been for a very long time. That love started with the original Star Soldier on NES. It was among the first games I got with my NES way back in 1989. This particular entry in the series I have never played. And a shoot-em up on the N64 at all is a rare thing. So I'm quite curious about this game.

-X-Men: Ravages of Apocalypse (PC) - An old PC game that uses the Quake engine that I remember seeing ads for in comics books that I've always wanted to try out.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:42:22 am by burningdoom »

sin2beta

Re: What Are Some Old Games You Never Got To Play?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 12:39:25 am »
Elder Scrolls (series) - I have IV, but it is a ways back in my to-do pile.

Myst (series) - A game that was really big in the 90s. But I never played it.

Grand Theft Auto (series) - I still have never played one. I do own a few now. I am wanting to pick up GTA3 before I start them though.

Mega Man X (series) - I was not a huge fan of the originals, so have never sought after the X games. However, they do look good.

Resident Evil (series) - I've played a demo. once. years ago. at 3 in the morning. a little inebriated... I don't think it counts.

UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

pacpix

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 12:48:25 am »
-The Elder Scrolls: Arena & Daggerfall (PC) - I didn't discover the Elder Scrolls games until I played Morrowind on XBox (original). I know they're free to download on Bethesda's website. And I have done so. But I can't get the dang things to run on Windows 8. I absolutely adore Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. So I'd love to be able to experience the series' roots.
http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/?title=Arena_:_ArenaSetup_EN
http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup

I was having a lot of trouble getting Daggerfall to install til i found these downloads.  They basically do all the work for you and all you have to do is click the icon to play the game.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:56:47 am »
I didnt experience a lot of N64 games back in the day, but I only recently played Banjo Kazooie which is a little unfortunate simply because I doesnt hold up very well today.
Mega Man X as well, like "sin2beta" said Im also not a very big fan of the original series but I think I would really like them because I think a lot of NES orginals got so much better on the SNES

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 11:59:16 am »

Grand Theft Auto (series) - I still have never played one. I do own a few now. I am wanting to pick up GTA3 before I start them though.

Mega Man X (series) - I was not a huge fan of the originals, so have never sought after the X games. However, they do look good.

Resident Evil (series) - I've played a demo. once. years ago. at 3 in the morning. a little inebriated... I don't think it counts.

Wow, you missed some big ones.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 12:47:30 pm »
Sad to say, I've missed out on all the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale stuff. Keep meaning to buy physical copies, but can never decide which editions to go for, and then I get sidetracked by other stuff and forget about it for awhile.

The ridiculous thing is, I'm a huge Fallout and Planescape fan, so I know I'd probably love them. D'oh.

soera

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 01:01:29 pm »
Sorry if this thread already exists. I figured it had to in this forum, but I did a search and went a few pages back and didn't see it.

-Chrono Cross (PS1) - Loved Chrono Trigger on SNES, never have played this sequel.

-Final Fantasy VI - It is in my collection, as I've recently acquired it via Final Fantasy Anthology and it is high on my backlog of games to play, so soon it shall be played.

-Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn) - A fantastic looking shoot-em up that just looks stunning. I want to play it so bad, but the price is so high.

Im going to touch on these ones. Chrono Cross is amazing. It does much respect to the first game and the stuff it added (like the ability to learn monster skills) is basically fucking awesome. I really enjoyed my playthrough and have really been considering another one soon.
Elder scrolls (PC versions). They are definitely a different machine when you are talking about the PC ones. While not totally a bad thing, its a whole lot more to consider when you have the freedom a keyboard allows. Oh and dont bother with the PS3 version of Daggerfall. It is an unfinished game that has a multitude of some of the worst reviews ever.
Final Fantasy VI. I cant believe anyone has not forced you to play this yet. For many people, this is the greatest game ever and its one of the few that will never leave my top 10. I just finished a 5th playthrough right before Ni no Kuni was released and was as good then as the first time.
Magic Knight Rayearth. Definitely not a shooter. Its a unique rpg and its the only reason I plan to buy a Saturn in my future. The game is just fun.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:03:18 pm by soera »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 01:02:40 pm »
Magic Knight Rayearth. Definitely not a shooter. Its a unique rpg and its the only reason I plan to buy a Saturn in my future. The game is just fun.

Then I'm thinking of another game. Now I'm not sure what it was. Some shoot-em up on Saturn, that wasn't space-ship shooter, had an almost fantasy setting, and was very bright and colorful.

soera

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 01:04:31 pm »
Scott or Brett could probably help you out on that. I dont know shit about Saturn games otherwise or shooters in general.

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 06:55:55 pm »

Indeed I have. I do plan on eventually getting to these. Except Mega Man X. I just am not a mega man fan. I have the anniversary collection, play it every once in a while. That's good enough for me.

There are too many good games out there to play them all.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 08:25:17 pm »

Indeed I have. I do plan on eventually getting to these. Except Mega Man X. I just am not a mega man fan. I have the anniversary collection, play it every once in a while. That's good enough for me.

There are too many good games out there to play them all.

That's the best way to play them, if you aren't a Mega Man collector. Some of the entries in the series are just too dang expensive to be practical.

There is also a Mega Man X Collection for PS2 and Gamecube that I recommend getting if you enjoy Mega Man Anniversary Collection. It collects Mega Man X 1-6.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 11:14:52 pm »
Toy Commander for the Dreamcast... Had the demo for it, and I used to play it all the time. I plan on buying it soon, just need to find a good deal.

psydswipe

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 06:20:31 am »
I've missed just about everything from Nintendo. I grew up on Sega platforms and though I bought a Wii thinking I would finally play some Nintendo games, I never really did. I've never been big on platform games so the fact that Mario games don't grab me isn't a big deal. However, I wonder why I can't get into Zelda games. I've not had a lot of opportunity to sit down and just play one for any great length though; all I've played is less than a hour of the original, Ocarina of Time, and Wind Waker.

There are many PC games I never played that I probably should. Last year I finally got to play the first two Thief games and Knights of the Old Republic II. I've had a copy of Planescape: Torment for a while that I will play eventually.