Author Topic: What are the Best Sega Saturn Platformers?  (Read 5838 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

What are the Best Sega Saturn Platformers?
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:54:02 pm »
I've always been a big 2D platformer fan. But I don't have the most impressive Saturn collection. So tell me, what are some good Sega Saturn platformers?

My few personal picks:

Shinobi: Legions has to be my favorite. I love the dark, graphical style to the gameplay. It looks similar to the Mortal Kombat arcade games. The live-action cutscenes are awesome! Very reminiscent of the 80s straight-to-video kung-fu movies I ate up as a kid. Any Shinobi fan will love this title.

Astal is another favorite of mine on Saturn. It didn't break down any walls in 2D platforming gameplay or anything. But it was still a solidly designed 2D platformer that was fun to play. And it is absolutely gorgeous to look at. The graphics are amazing on this one and proves what a 2D powerhouse the Saturn really is.

Bug! is a game that I hear a lot of people trash in the gaming community. I can't say it's a masterpiece or anything, but I thought it was fun. The 2.5D gameplay is kind of unique and makes for some fun gameplay, IMO.

Sonic 3D Blast is a game that I have always liked, despite the general hate it receives. No, it's not as good as the Genesis trilogy of Sonic games. But it's still a fun Sonic game, even though it might not be as good. And the Saturn version is the definitive version of this game to own.

Some games I haven't played on Saturn, but have played the PS1 versions are Gex, Castlevania: SotN, Mega Man 8, and Metal Slug X. If the Saturn versions are good ports, then those are excellent games.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:12:15 pm by burningdoom »

Re: What are the Best Sega Saturn Platformers?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 12:59:22 pm »
I'm not especially familiar with platformers on Saturn. Shinrei Jusatsushi Taroumaru is pretty great, but might be considered more of a beat 'em up, and it usually goes for ridiculous prices.

I'd stick with the PS1 version of SotN, though. Maria's playable on the Saturn version, and there are some extra bits, but there are longer load times, slowdown issues, crappy fake transparencies, lower quality sounds, resolution blurring, and a bunch of other little problems. Good for Castlevania fanatics, just not a very good representation of the game.

scott

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 02:32:32 pm »
I agree with Insektmute, its not the best version of the StoN and its text heavy if you delve into the inventory and menus. I can play it, no problem, but I know it inside and out from the PS1 version too.

Is very playable without reading. But suffers due to hardware issues.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 11:34:32 pm »
Earthworm Jim 2 is the only other I can think of atm.

sin2beta

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 02:09:05 am »
Earthworm Jim 2 is the only other I can think of atm.

That's a good one!

I liked super tempo (Japan only). I really like all of the tempo games. However, they may not be for everyone. However, I find it a lot more fun than Shinobi Legions, Bug, and Clockwork Knight. All of which I don't think are really that good.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:07:16 am »
It's funny how the Saturn is like, THE system for so many shmups, fighters, and beat 'em ups, but comparatively weak when it comes to platformers. Maybe a side-effect of the push for 3D, couple with difficulty developing those types of games for the system?

Burning Rangers (which I don't think of as a 'pure' platformer) and Keio Yuugekitai are about the only other things that come to mind.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 06:36:32 pm »
Sega loved it's arcade ports!  If it wasn't a popular genre in the arcades then there probably wasn't much of that genre made for it, in the US at least.  Damn you U.S. arm of Sega!

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 07:15:05 pm »
Sega loved it's arcade ports!  If it wasn't a popular genre in the arcades then there probably wasn't much of that genre made for it, in the US at least.  Damn you U.S. arm of Sega!

I would actually blame that on Sega of Japan. They typically would kill any western developed competition by SEGA if it competed with a Japanese arcade version. For example, the sequel to eternal champions was killed in favor of Virtua Fighter.

According to Michael Latham:
Sega of Japan felt that Eternal Champions was keeping Virtua Fighter from being more successful in the US and that it would be better if the company focused on only one franchise.. ..and as Sega is a Japanese company, the Japan side won. It was a crushing blow, and was the only time in working nearly a decade at Sega I considered quitting. I mainly stayed with the hope to change that decision, but sadly never could. Even when we did the NetFighter project for Heat.net, we weren't able to use the Eternal characters as a hidden bonus. From Japan's view the game never existed, in spite of its stellar sales and even offers to do comic books and a cartoon around it.

Most of the lack of titles and innovation in the US library came from SOJ, not SOA. To be honest, as much of a SEGA fan as I am, I am very much a fan of SOA specifically and I kind of dislike SOJ. As odd as that sounds. Sega of Japan is kind of a douche bag company.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 12:54:10 pm »
Are we talking 2d or 3d?

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 01:22:50 pm »
I honestly think this is my favorite system to collect for, and I don't know why!
I just wish the games weren't this pricey!
I need to find a good store/ dirt mall with a more abundant selection!
I don't particularly care for ebay, just doesn't feel the same as finding something in the wild.
Anyway,
Astal,
Sonic 3D Blast,
SoTN (was there an NA release for that?),
Gex and Rayman are on my wish list for now.
3D Blast will be scratched of very soon!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:25:40 pm by torvez »
I make music.
I'm really cool, you should tell your friends about me :P

https://soundcloud.com/torvez

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 03:52:55 pm »
Are we talking 2d or 3d?

Doesn't matter.

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 05:01:50 pm »
Croc Legend of the Gobbos