Author Topic: Some ideas for the site  (Read 4966 times)

Some ideas for the site
« on: April 13, 2013, 05:16:01 pm »
Would be nice to have a 'today' button on the entry screen for adding to your collection... sucks to have to enter in 40+ games with 3 separate drop down lists.

Also would be awesome to choose a system (nes) and look at the rarest games (a filter to sort the list).  Could just be, type sonic, then sort on rarity instead of the default alphabetically.

One other great usability thing would be to allow me to type, "street fight famic" to have it pull up games that contain the string, instead of exact front match.

Thanks, love the site.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:27:05 pm by proskier »

Re: Some ideas for the site
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 01:04:46 am »
Hi,

currently the page shows me how many items I have on my list. It would be nice if it could show total amount of items just like now, amount of hardware, accessories and games separately.

ko1ru

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 03:58:42 pm »
Hi,

currently the page shows me how many items I have on my list. It would be nice if it could show total amount of items just like now, amount of hardware, accessories and games separately.

From what I understand, this is on Matt's to-do list.  Once it's implemented, we'll be able to view/filter categories separately. 

matt

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:28:32 pm »
Would be nice to have a 'today' button on the entry screen for adding to your collection... sucks to have to enter in 40+ games with 3 separate drop down lists.

Also would be awesome to choose a system (nes) and look at the rarest games (a filter to sort the list).  Could just be, type sonic, then sort on rarity instead of the default alphabetically.

One other great usability thing would be to allow me to type, "street fight famic" to have it pull up games that contain the string, instead of exact front match.

Thanks, love the site.

A default date will be added.

Rarity isn't tracked in the database at this time. I thought about adding it but wasn't sure about maintaining it as it is always changing. Def not our focus at this time.

Search overhaul is coming....

soera

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:54:01 pm »
Im still awaiting the site to add my Lord high Lord of VGCollect badge. :(

matt

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 04:40:29 pm »
Im still awaiting the site to add my Lord high Lord of VGCollect badge. :(

I must have been drunk during that meeting! ha

insektmute

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 06:42:48 pm »
I remain convinced that all meetings should involve copious amounts of liquor.

matt

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 10:59:42 am »
I remain convinced that all meetings should involve copious amounts of liquor.

I can assure you that being a homebrewer...they are.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 10:23:08 pm »
-A search feature for the forums would be nice.

-I just added the Super Famicom Controller (how was this missing?) but it needs pictures and info. So maybe having a thread for missing information like item number, release date, and pictures.

-Quantities on items.

I'm sorry if any of these exist and I'm just oblivious.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:28:32 pm by armoredgecko »

matt

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 10:49:24 pm »
-A search feature for the forums would be nice.

-I just added the Super Famicom Controller (how was this missing?) but it needs pictures and info. So maybe having a thread for missing information like item number, release date, and pictures.

-Quantities on items.

I'm sorry if any of these exist and I'm just oblivious.

Thanks for the suggestion and welcome to the site!

1. http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php?action=search
2. Not a bad idea. There is a recently added thread but nothing to keep track of missing info, etc. Feel free to start one!
3. We decided early on to not use quantities but rather allow you to add the item multiple times. Each item is a separate listing with its own notes and details.

soera

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 11:05:11 pm »
I know something I would like to see. A "Sealed" box next to the "cart, box, manual, other inserts" box.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 01:18:21 am »

Thanks for the suggestion and welcome to the site!

1. http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php?action=search
2. Not a bad idea. There is a recently added thread but nothing to keep track of missing info, etc. Feel free to start one!
3. We decided early on to not use quantities but rather allow you to add the item multiple times. Each item is a separate listing with its own notes and details.

1. I feel like an idiot.
2. I think you underestimate my laziness.
3. Ahh okay.

4. Well, how about somehow being able to link your Steam, XBL, or PSN account in some manner to help alleviate some of the tediousness from entering in hundreds of games? Is that a viable future update?
5. Access to the advanced search before searching for a game. Maybe a button to the right of the search bar.
6. I know this site is primarily for collection purposes but adding boxes to indicate whether you've beaten a game or not would be kind of nifty.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:33:21 am by armoredgecko »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 08:43:24 am »
I know something I would like to see. A "Sealed" box next to the "cart, box, manual, other inserts" box.
Seconded.

I would also like this.

I'm not really sure what falls into the "other" category there - that couldn't simply be written/added in your "notes" section...so...maybe *Change* "Other" to "Sealed" -or- would doing something like that be a lot of time & work?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 03:34:34 pm »
I'm not really sure what falls into the "other" category there - that couldn't simply be written/added in your "notes" section...so...maybe *Change* "Other" to "Sealed" -or- would doing something like that be a lot of time & work?

I use "Other" to indicate the presence of an overlay for consoles like Vectrex, Intellivision and Jaguar.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 04:19:55 pm »

I use "Other" to indicate the presence of an overlay for consoles like Vectrex, Intellivision and Jaguar.

Ah, that makes sense, then - not having any of those systems = I didn't know about any of those things :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"