Author Topic: Need help with Dreamcast.  (Read 1966 times)

Need help with Dreamcast.
« on: April 14, 2013, 12:09:18 pm »
Hope you guys know of a fix. Dreamcast is having problems reading games now. Before it would only have problems with Sonic Adventure and Tony Hawk 2 but now when ever I pop in a game, a sega logo corp logo come out and then it goes right back to the disc menu. It does this now to all my games. Tried looking for a fix to recalibrate the laser but the i can't turn the little nob and its a different model then what I've seen online. Anyway I can savage this thing or should I just get a new one and get rid of this paper weight?

htimreimer

Re: Need help with Dreamcast. laser
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 12:35:25 pm »
its not a paper weight, first try cleaning the laser head & if that doesn't work you have to replace the laser head, this should be easy & cheap to do but there are other people on the site that know more about the dreamcast than i do so wait for them to post
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:21:28 pm by htimreimer »

ffxik

Re: Need help with Dreamcast.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 01:41:07 pm »
There is technically no "recalibrating" the potentiometer.  What it amounts to is lowering the threshold on the laser.  What this will do is allow you to play your games but will burn out the laser far quicker.  When you make these kind of adjustment you must do so in very small increments.  Larger turns will just render the unit unusable.

The laser is going bad.  Mine has the very same issue.  They can be purchased from Ebay for around $25. 

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:47:02 pm by ffxik »

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 02:30:35 pm »
There is technically no "recalibrating" the potentiometer.  What it amounts to is lowering the threshold on the laser.  What this will do is allow you to play your games but will burn out the laser far quicker.  When you make these kind of adjustment you must do so in very small increments.  Larger turns will just render the unit unusable.

The laser is going bad.  Mine has the very same issue.  They can be purchased from Ebay for around $25. 

25 for the laser replacement itself or another dreamcast?

sin2beta

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 03:19:30 pm »

It's actually both.

At this point, instead of buying a replacement laser, I would buy a replacement DC. Keep the broken one. And as a hobby repair it one day. The dreamcast is way undervalued and a system can be purchased for less than replacement parts.

But do at some point learn to replace the laser. The GD Rom laser can be much more difficult to replace than the SEGA CD or Saturn lasers. And most of the time the lasers are not really new. They are usually salvaged from Dreamcasts or Naomi GR-ROMs.

Personally, I am hoarding Dreamcasts and Saturns (I don't actually have many at this point). But If I find a DC in good condition for under 20, I buy it. If I find a Saturn in good condition for under 30, I buy it. My main units are still in perfect working order (my saturn I just got used a couple of months ago but my dreamcast is my original 9/9/99 unit). But I do know that lasers die. Just the way it is.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

ffxik

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 09:08:26 pm »

It's actually both.

At this point, instead of buying a replacement laser, I would buy a replacement DC. Keep the broken one. And as a hobby repair it one day. The dreamcast is way undervalued and a system can be purchased for less than replacement parts.

But do at some point learn to replace the laser. The GD Rom laser can be much more difficult to replace than the SEGA CD or Saturn lasers. And most of the time the lasers are not really new. They are usually salvaged from Dreamcasts or Naomi GR-ROMs.

Personally, I am hoarding Dreamcasts and Saturns (I don't actually have many at this point). But If I find a DC in good condition for under 20, I buy it. If I find a Saturn in good condition for under 30, I buy it. My main units are still in perfect working order (my saturn I just got used a couple of months ago but my dreamcast is my original 9/9/99 unit). But I do know that lasers die. Just the way it is.

I personally would buy a new laser, but then again I love to tinker with game systems.  The parts and console are roughly the same price so, it's which ever you want.  ;)

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 10:39:47 pm »
i would sell you a disk reader(laser) for cheap if your interested I sell on ebay.
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 10:41:33 pm »
it is not a new one but it does work and I took it out of a dreamcast myself
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren