Author Topic: Graphics Card Capabilities  (Read 1843 times)

htimreimer

Graphics Card Capabilities
« on: May 09, 2013, 01:47:57 pm »
i recently bought a old computer from a thrift shop for $20 and i'm trying to find out what are the capabilities of the graphics card that it came with. i have looked online but there's not much on it and i'm wondering if anyone can help me here.

the graphics card that my computer came with is a diamond multimedia stealth video 2500 PCI 1+

pics of the graphics card are in this link:  http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/palcals-collection/57-diamond-multimedia/633-diamond-stealth-video-2500

Re: Graphics Card Capabilities
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 01:53:49 pm »
Just a standard consumer-grade card from the mid-90's based on the S3 Virge architecture. Seems to have around 1MB RAM and max out at 1024x768 resolution, but it was pretty low-end even for the time. Very much a "bang for the buck" sort of card.

If you're wanting to do a bit of old-school gaming, you can probably find an old 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 on eBay for dirt cheap. Might even find one at a thrift shop, as they were pretty common for gaming back then - be sure to get an AGP card if your system will support it, though.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:01:24 pm by insektmute »

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:42:56 pm »
Just a standard consumer-grade card from the mid-90's based on the S3 Virge architecture. Seems to have around 1MB RAM and max out at 1024x768 resolution, but it was pretty low-end even for the time. Very much a "bang for the buck" sort of card.

If you're wanting to do a bit of old-school gaming, you can probably find an old 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 on eBay for dirt cheap. Might even find one at a thrift shop, as they were pretty common for gaming back then - be sure to get an AGP card if your system will support it, though.
thank for the info also the brown expansion slot has two of these  and i dont know if it increases performance or not

i also have 3D force 2-MX 32M, how good are these

pic of the force 2 link

atariboy

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:05:06 pm »
Here's some info on the 3D Force:
http://www.baber.com/baber/graphics/agp/jaton_3d_force2_mx.htm

Doesn't seem to look the same so I don't know if specs are the same or not. Also a different brand, Ha looks like this post just needs to be disregarded, guess I shouldn't be online when I'm on a cocktail of meds.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:08:22 pm by atariboy »
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:03:09 pm »
Not familiar with the 3D Force myself, but it looks to be a GeForce 2 MX manufactured by Jaton. Huge upgrade from the Diamond card, but compared to other cards from that time period, it's another "value" card. 32MB 166MHz SDRAM, AGP 4x, etc. Pretty standard stuff, though from what I recall, Nvidia didn't really start to shine much until the GeForce 3 series hit.

Not sure what you mean by "the expansion slot" because that refers to nearly every pluggable thing on a motherboard, but from the PDF, that looks like EDRAM that's integrated with whatever processor is plugged into the system. Intel used to put out system-on-die processors like that which integrated the two, but I can't remember the time period... maybe late 80's-early 90's?

Personally, I'd call all of it worthless outside of maybe the GeForce 2, but I'm not really sure what your intentions are with all this stuff, either.