Author Topic: Turbografx-16  (Read 6586 times)

patrickmeansly

Turbografx-16
« on: May 13, 2013, 04:49:28 am »
Tho I have never played a turbografx 16, or knew anyone who even owned one, watching youtube videos, the games "keith courage" and "dungeon explorer" caught my eye and looks like something I would play.  Anyone here played a turbografx 16 and would you recommend it as a great systeM??
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:13:05 pm by exonerator »

Re: TURBOGRAFX 16
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 05:25:40 am »
best system of the 80's and 90's in my opinion... The Hucards they made for the systems were awesome they start up way easier then any cartridge(atleast for me). The only problem is the one controller port(I play with friends a lot) but there is an 5 controller adapter you can buy for fairly cheap. the only problem is finding the controllers lol. I love my turbografx and one of my goals is to collect all games CIB for it(not cd)... Funny thing is, I came on here and was gonna browse for hardware to see if anyone was selling any controllers for it, then I saw a post that said turbofrafx lol.
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

ffxik

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:37:24 am »
I own one and would recommend buying one.  It has some really great games for it.  However check around though the prices of these can get outrageous.    The games can get steep too.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:05:51 am »
I don't own a TG-16 but I do own a PC Engine; it's a brilliant console, loads of great games out there for it.

soera

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:28:24 am »
I just recently got another one (my 4th one in my life) and I wont lose this one. It is a decent system. My #1 reason for wanting this system is for Ys books I&II on the CD.

blipcs76

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:46:35 am »
I've had mine since I got it for Christmas in 1990, though like an idiot I sold all of my games a while ago. 

It really is a great console, with plenty of games worth owning like:
Bonk 1/2/3
Splatterhouse
Alien Crush/Devil's Crush
Ninja Spirit
Legendary Axe 1 & 2
Neutopia 1 & 2
and plenty others.  It's a great system for shooter fans.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 12:24:47 pm »
I have a TG-16, nice system with some great games. But Keith Courage is not one of those great games. It's strange, and it's cool to play through for that reason. But it's not gonna win any awards for the greatest platformer.

My TG-16 broke a couple years back. My fat-ass cat sat on the controller right where it plugs into the port, and broke the controller port, rendering the console useless. Never thought I'd come across one again at a decent price considering the retro-craze, so I sold all my games.

My awesome wife re-brought one for me just last year, after hearing me hold a grudge against the cat for a couple years. Since then I've only re-bought about 3 games for it, so I have a ways to go on getting my colleciton back.

As for the greatest systems of the 80s and 90s, come on now Slothing. You can't be serious, are you? With competition like the Commodore 64, NES, SNES, Genesis, and PS1; you can seriously say that? It's a good system, but not the best of the 80s and 90s.

Some recommendations, if you get one:

Action:
-Bloody Wolf
-Dungeon Explorer (fun little Gauntlet clone)
-Neutopia 1 & 2 (very well-made Zelda clones)
-Ninja Spirit
-Space Harrier
-Splatterhouse (slasher-themed action game)

Platformers:
-Bonk's Adventure
-Bonk's Revenge
-Legend of Hero Tonma
-New Adventure Island

Shoot-Em Ups: (This is the reason to own a TG-16, if you're a shoot-em up fan, a ton of great shmups on here)
-Blazing Lazers
-Dragon Spirit
-Lords of Thunder (this one is actually a CD-attachment game, but IMO, the best shoot-em up EVER. Such an awesome metal-themed rocking soundtrack on this one. I got to play it via Wii's virtual console, well worth the download.)
-R-Type
-Raiden
-Sidearms
-Super Star Soldier

Other:
-Alien Crush (very fun, and unique-looking, video pinball game)
-Cadash (an arcade action-RPG, as strange as that may sound, pretty short game, but fun)
-Victory Run (Rad Racer/Outrun clone)

I never did have the CD-attachment, so I never got to play some of the more well-known ones like Fighting Street (Street Fighter 1), Castlevania: Rondo of Blood or the later Ys titles.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 02:58:32 pm »
I have a TG-16, nice system with some great games. But Keith Courage is not one of those great games. It's strange, and it's cool to play through for that reason. But it's not gonna win any awards for the greatest platformer.

My TG-16 broke a couple years back. My fat-ass cat sat on the controller right where it plugs into the port, and broke the controller port, rendering the console useless. Never thought I'd come across one again at a decent price considering the retro-craze, so I sold all my games.

My awesome wife re-brought one for me just last year, after hearing me hold a grudge against the cat for a couple years. Since then I've only re-bought about 3 games for it, so I have a ways to go on getting my colleciton back.

As for the greatest systems of the 80s and 90s, come on now Slothing. You can't be serious, are you? With competition like the Commodore 64, NES, SNES, Genesis, and PS1; you can seriously say that? It's a good system, but not the best of the 80s and 90s.

Some recommendations, if you get one:

Action:
-Bloody Wolf
-Dungeon Explorer (fun little Gauntlet clone)
-Neutopia 1 & 2 (very well-made Zelda clones)
-Ninja Spirit
-Space Harrier
-Splatterhouse (slasher-themed action game)

Platformers:
-Bonk's Adventure
-Bonk's Revenge
-Legend of Hero Tonma
-New Adventure Island

Shoot-Em Ups: (This is the reason to own a TG-16, if you're a shoot-em up fan, a ton of great shmups on here)
-Blazing Lazers
-Dragon Spirit
-Lords of Thunder (this one is actually a CD-attachment game, but IMO, the best shoot-em up EVER. Such an awesome metal-themed rocking soundtrack on this one. I got to play it via Wii's virtual console, well worth the download.)
-R-Type
-Raiden
-Sidearms
-Super Star Soldier

Other:
-Alien Crush (very fun, and unique-looking, video pinball game)
-Cadash (an arcade action-RPG, as strange as that may sound, pretty short game, but fun)
-Victory Run (Rad Racer/Outrun clone)

I never did have the CD-attachment, so I never got to play some of the more well-known ones like Fighting Street (Street Fighter 1), Castlevania: Rondo of Blood or the later Ys titles.

Well the actual console its self is better then all in a way. I mean Nintendo and gen had better games but Nes would sometimes take 40 tries before ya got the damn thing to work...don't get me wrong I love Nes but as far as console goes it wasn't that great.  as for SNES, maybe I went to far SNES was good as shit.  The idea of hucards was awesome!! Lots of space  easy cleaning:) but maybe I went a lil overboard with it lol.. SNES and tg-16 was the best(IMO)
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

patrickmeansly

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 04:14:00 pm »
Certainly not the most popular.  I remember being a kid during that time frame, and never heard of or seen a Turbografx.  I remember even in 1991, one of my friends had an Atari 2600 with like 50 games, but never a TG 16.  When I learned what it was over the past year, I was amazed that some of the games looked excellent, and the console itself seemed very durable!!  I couldnt believe I never heard of it.  Same thing for me with the Sega Master System, all though popular in Europe, it died out in the US fairly quickly.  I bought one roughly 2 months ago and actually love it.  I feel like if it had the same library or similar to NES, it would have been great competition.  SlothinXPIG, if you do not have a Sega Master System, I recommend one of those, and to get Space Harrier in 3d, get the 3d glasses, and regular non 3d games like Phantasy Star, There was a golden axe game on it, Rampage, Alex Kidd and several more!  Great under rated system in my opinion.

patrickmeansly

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 04:15:19 pm »

but maybe I went a lil overboard with it lol.. SNES and tg-16 was the best(IMO)

I have to ask because I seen you put it a few times and I have no idea what that means.  What is IMO????

atariboy

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 04:24:32 pm »

I have to ask because I seen you put it a few times and I have no idea what that means.  What is IMO????

IMO = In My Opinion  ;)
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

patrickmeansly

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 04:39:00 pm »

IMO = In My Opinion  ;)

ah okay lol.  Thanks Atari.  I know lol but thats about it  :D

soera

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 05:04:37 pm »
The SMS was an awesome system compared to the NES if you ask me. The system itself looks a lot cooler and the control pads are better than the squares but not as cool as the dogbone. The games however are what set the system apart to me. While the SMS only had 115ish games compared to the 765 on the NES, there is hardly anything on there that could be considered shovelware. Ive said it before about Phantasy star and Ill say it again - if it was released on the NES/SNES instead of the SMS/Genesis, it would be the RPG series of the future instead of what we have now. Miracle warriors is another awesome RPG and actually what my avatar name comes from. Golvellius is a weird but cool Zelda like clone. Golden Axe warrior is another Zelda like clone. R-type is one of the only shmups I really enjoy. Rocky is short but its a pretty fun game and to this day I can still hear the music in between rounds in my head. :P Ys is just like the one on the Turbografx but its only book 1. Basketball nightmare is a neat BB game where you play against monsters instead of other people. The slam dunk breakaway scenes are nice looking. Astro warrior is a basic shmup that isnt bad. Lots of other games too. I really could go on and on about the SMS. If it wasnt for the wife, the SMS would be what my wall consists of right now. :) It may still very well get there. :)

atariboy

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 06:10:34 pm »

IMO = In My Opinion  ;)

ah okay lol.  Thanks Atari.  I know lol but thats about it  :D
No worries I'm the same way, I have to look up some of those, guess being one of the older folkes on here is why  :D
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

sin2beta

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 06:14:23 pm »
The SMS was an awesome system compared to the NES if you ask me. The system itself looks a lot cooler and the control pads are better than the squares but not as cool as the dogbone.

I've posted this quote before, but it still makes me smile as a description of the Master System.

I love the Sega Master System.  Slick and sophisticated, its clean lines and crisp colors suggest an elegant lady assassin ridin' dirty on corinthian leather seats to a ballroom in order to eliminate the latest target.  It's got a flow chart printed on it that lets you know how the shit goes down on a day-to-day.  Its color scheme: black and red, the colors of a brotherman on the run.  It says to me, "fun is serious business."

Amazing! I would take the top 20 SMS games over the top 20 NES games any day. I don't know if I would take the top 100 SMS games over the top 100 NES games though. The system just didn't have many amazing games. But seriously, phantasy star... phantasy star... I played the original over 20 years after it came out and my jaw dropped. That game is absolutely amazing. And Wonder Boy 3 Dragon's Trap... oh... my... god...fantastic. I am shocked at how Wonder Boy is forgotten. They just kept getting better. Monster World 4 is one of the most beautiful 16-bit games I have seen.

Anyways, the TG-16 is amazing. Especially if you like shooters. I like shooters. Pat the NES punk did a pretty good episode on the TG-16.

UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c