Author Topic: Turbografx-16  (Read 6936 times)

sin2beta

Re: TURBOGRAFX 16
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 11:53:25 pm »
We may have to agree to disagree on altered beast. I didn't notice bugs. As for slow... that's altered beast. It's a pretty slow game.

I'll be honest, I hate most Alex Kidd games. But one has to separate things one dislikes from bad. Lost stars was an arcade game. It was an arcade game and thus a race against the timer. It's very different but not shovelware. It is my least favorite Alex Kidd. But it was not incompetent or put out without thought. It just is not my type of game.

High Tech World was actually a very popular game from my understanding in Japan. It's original name is anmitsu hime. SEGA thought the anime theme would not do well in the west and reskinned it. Basically, they super mario 2'd that shit. Still not my type of game, but just like Mario 2, I can look past that I don't like it and notice that it is not a bad game. It just is not one I like.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

patrickmeansly

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 12:03:06 am »
Would you guys say that sms system model 1 or 2 is better?

Get a Model 1 because of the card slot.  The beauty of the card slot, is this is how you can play 3d games.  The model 2 has no card hook up and 3d requires the card slot.

patrickmeansly

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 12:06:27 am »
The SMS was an awesome system compared to the NES if you ask me. The system itself looks a lot cooler and the control pads are better than the squares but not as cool as the dogbone. The games however are what set the system apart to me. While the SMS only had 115ish games compared to the 765 on the NES, there is hardly anything on there that could be considered shovelware. Ive said it before about Phantasy star and Ill say it again - if it was released on the NES/SNES instead of the SMS/Genesis, it would be the RPG series of the future instead of what we have now. Miracle warriors is another awesome RPG and actually what my avatar name comes from. Golvellius is a weird but cool Zelda like clone. Golden Axe warrior is another Zelda like clone. R-type is one of the only shmups I really enjoy. Rocky is short but its a pretty fun game and to this day I can still hear the music in between rounds in my head. :P Ys is just like the one on the Turbografx but its only book 1. Basketball nightmare is a neat BB game where you play against monsters instead of other people. The slam dunk breakaway scenes are nice looking. Astro warrior is a basic shmup that isnt bad. Lots of other games too. I really could go on and on about the SMS. If it wasnt for the wife, the SMS would be what my wall consists of right now. :) It may still very well get there. :)

I looked up game play of miracle warriors on youtube and looked pretty cool :) I would have to get used to view but looks like a cool old skool rpg.  thanks for that info

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 12:07:14 am »
SMS is region-free.

Not quite true - Japanese games use a different pinout and won't work on a PAL/US SMS or SMS Mega Drive/Genesis adapter.

I know it's picky but I didn't want to not point it out in case somebody decided to pick up a few Japanese games based on that info.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 12:12:00 am »
SMS is region-free.

Not quite true - Japanese games use a different pinout and won't work on a PAL/US SMS or SMS Mega Drive/Genesis adapter.

I know it's picky but I didn't want to not point it out in case somebody decided to pick up a few Japanese games based on that info.

I actually didn't know that. I've never looked into Japanese SMS games, more U.K. and Brazil.

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 12:19:04 am »
I actually didn't know that. I've never looked into Japanese SMS games, more U.K. and Brazil.

That's OK; it's an obscure bit on info on a relatively unpopular format (my speciality, I suppose  :o ) - I just didn't want anyone ending up with games that won't work on their systems :)

patrickmeansly

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 12:27:51 am »

That's OK; it's an obscure bit on info on a relatively unpopular format (my speciality, I suppose  :o ) - I just didn't want anyone ending up with games that won't work on their systems :)

I didnt know that either.  Thanks seriously.  I would be pissed if i got a 50 dollar japan sms game to find out it would not work lol

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 05:18:34 pm »
SMS is region-free.

The statement that the Master System is region free is an interesting one. Not every game will play on a NTSC Master System due to 50/60hz video switching.

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12093

sin2beta

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 05:36:12 pm »
SMS is region-free.

The statement that the Master System is region free is an interesting one. Not every game will play on a NTSC Master System due to 50/60hz video switching.

I love that site. They know their stuff.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 08:36:13 pm »
SMS is region-free.

Well I can tell you right now that list isn't accurate. I have a Power Base Converter and F-16 Fighting Falcon works fine. As does Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

sin2beta

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 08:45:48 pm »
SMS is region-free.

Well I can tell you right now that list isn't accurate. I have a Power Base Converter and F-16 Fighting Falcon works fine. As does Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

How far did you play? The Genesis only supports mode 4 video. Fighting falcon does not run in this mode. It won't work. Skip to 2:50 of the following video.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 09:21:21 pm »
SMS is region-free.

How far did you play? The Genesis only supports mode 4 video. Fighting falcon does not run in this mode. It won't work. Skip to 2:50 of the following video.

I thought we were talking about NTSC/PAL? That screenshot looks like it has Japanese letters in it.

sin2beta

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 09:26:49 pm »
That's the border the youtubers put around the 4:3 screen of the master system to fill the 16:9 computer screens most of us have. It is not Japanese at all.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 09:32:15 pm »
I can't say, then. I have a Sega Power Unit Converter on a Sega Genesis Model 1. I don't know the techinical specifics of all that stuff, never been too much into that side of things in gaming. All I know is it worked. As did Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

soera

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 10:23:34 pm »
Nice post. I was curious about that myself. Good thing to know that none of the games Im interested in are on that list!