Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 279834 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2415 on: April 03, 2024, 11:48:49 am »
Major League - There are definitely problems with this movie, many of which have only gotten worse with age, but the biggest issue for me is that what is supposed to be the "heart" of the film is mostly just Tom Berenger stalking Rene Russo.

Rolling Thunder - In the hands of a slightly better director I think this would be a stone-cold classic. William Devane is flat-out fantastic, and once it really gets going its pretty great, but it meanders a bit in the second act and doesn't do quite enough to get you invested in anything other than Devane.

Speed - I forgot just how transfixing this movie is.  Totally at the top of its genre.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Even better than I remembered.  It knows the premise is silly and manages to balance the outlandish with just enough realism for everything to feel completely plausible. Top 3 in the franchise.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 09:22:48 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2416 on: April 06, 2024, 12:03:50 am »
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End - Finally got to finishing this as I was waiting on the dub, and it's a really wonderful show.  It came around at a time where I was really wanting a proper fantasy show, because sword/magic anime these days is literally plagued with isekai based fantasy.  Everything with a fantasy setting has to involve a character being reincarnated in this world or transported into a game, and the majority of it is either bad or boring.  Wild that we got this and Dungeon Meshi back to back, of which I need to catch up with Dungeon Meshi.

This is a unique fantasy show, as it's actually more slice of life.  A story about a functionally immortal elf going through her life, after adventuring with her party, taking out the demon king, and then after that time has passed, having to come to terms with their loss and trying to better understand the time she spent with her party in the past, growing more emotionally because of it.  There is some action moments dotted throughout, but they aren't the focus.  It's definitely a show that tugs at the heartstrings, I choked up twice in the first two episodes lol It's more chill after that, but it's such a solid show with great character building interactions going on.

Really can't wait for the second season.  Hope they are able to get back to it soon.

« Reply #2417 on: April 06, 2024, 09:15:31 pm »
Monkey Man - Hugely ambitious directorial debut from Dev Patel. It looks and sounds incredible, and it puts a nice spin on a pretty well-worn revenge trope. Though he uses the shaky cam well in both a thematic and technical sense I think he leans on it a bit too much, which is probably my biggest issue.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - It's wild how great this franchise is, even with the original sequel being a blatant cash grab and Burton's misfire in 2001.  I don't know that any other series comes close to this level of consistency.

Lightyear - Held hostage by its own premise, and further hamstrung by rather simplistic moralizing. Outside of those two (pretty big) issues it's a pretty fun entry level sci-fi romp. Sox is adorable and the voice cast is pretty solid.

War for the Planet of the Apes - Weakest of the new trilogy, mostly due being a bit more on the nose and not as finely paced as the previous two films, but it is still a damned good flick.

@zola - Totally wild and very funny based on a true story crime caper.  Really incredible performances from Colman Domingo and Riley Keough.

Kajillionaire - I kinda loved almost everything about this. Including how much it made me hate Old Dolio's parents for what they did to her.

Holes - Has the same problem that so many of these coming of age adventure films of the era, the kid story is mostly ok, but is completely outshined but what is going on with the adults. It also feels kind of amateurishly put together, which is weird from the director of The Fugitive.

Three Amigos! - Filled with big comedic swings, and when they connect it works, but when they don't it's kinda boring.  Based on hit rate El Guapo is funniest part of this movie.

Death Becomes Her - Not seen this in ages, and it's aged pretty well.  Still some good laughs throughout.

Abigail - It's a bit too long and the exposition isn't handled super well, but it's fun, the cast is good, and there's great gore.  I'll take it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 04:44:20 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2418 on: April 21, 2024, 04:20:30 pm »
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - You know what is always a surefire addition to a franchise? A baby.  Foolproof I tells ya.

Freelance - Maybe the first movie I've seen that understands just how hot Alison Brie is, but it also totally fails to realize how funny she is capable of being. The rest of the movie rests on Cena's buff shoulders.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 05:11:19 pm by Cartagia »