Author Topic: Killer Instinct for Xbox is a Failure (all ready)  (Read 3185 times)

htimreimer

Killer Instinct for Xbox is a Failure (all ready)
« on: June 11, 2013, 03:13:23 pm »
killer instinct has not even been release and it all ready a failure, the new KI will be digital only and will only have one character (jago) and the rest will be DLC that you will have to pay for and if that's not bad enough for you, according to IGN the "move sets" are "simple"

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/killer-instinct-is-a-fun-free-to-play-xbox-one-launch-game

sin2beta

Re: Killer Instinct for Xbox is a Failure (all ready)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 03:31:03 pm »
Let's be honest, Killer Instinct always had simple mechanics. It was a fun 90s fighter with very little depth. More Soul Calibur than King of Fighters. So, that should just be par for the course.

The having to pay for each character is pretty stupid on first glance. But they state the Jago only version is free. That's a trial. You pay for the other characters. From the article, it doesn't state if you have to buy the characters individually or as a pack. But having the game free with only Jago and then buying the rest of the characters sounds pretty good to me. Especially if one is questioning the quality of the game. This way one can try it without putting money into it. It might be Microsofts way of renting games since they nixed gamefly.

Plus, I don't think one can call a game a failure without having played it.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:39:49 pm »
Let's be honest, Killer Instinct always had simple mechanics. It was a fun 90s fighter with very little depth. More Soul Calibur than King of Fighters. So, that should just be par for the course.

The having to pay for each character is pretty stupid on first glance. But they state the Jago only version is free. That's a trial. You pay for the other characters. From the article, it doesn't state if you have to buy the characters individually or as a pack. But having the game free with only Jago and then buying the rest of the characters sounds pretty good to me. Especially if one is questioning the quality of the game. This way one can try it without putting money into it. It might be Microsofts way of renting games since they nixed gamefly.

Plus, I don't think one can call a game a failure without having played it.
I'm just saying its not looking good, microsoft were vary quiet about anything when it came to the xbox and now there being quiet about the new KI and it would not surprise if did something like this

sin2beta

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 03:46:14 pm »
I'm just saying its not looking good, microsoft were vary quiet about anything when it came to the xbox and now there being quiet about the new KI and it would not surprise if did something like this

It sounds like the problem is mainly with xbox and not KI. And are they being quiet about KI. The only thing that article doesn't mention is price and character list from what I can tell. For a digital only release in November, it is understandable we don't know that. It may not even be finalized. I certainly don't expect them to have a price yet. Maybe a target but that's all.

Honestly, the game looks intriguing to me. Of course, it all comes down to how it plays. The Xbox One seems really bad to me. But I won't confuse the two as being the same thing. A bad system can have good games.

htimreimer

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:01:31 pm »

It sounds like the problem is mainly with xbox and not KI. And are they being quiet about KI. The only thing that article doesn't mention is price and character list from what I can tell. For a digital only release in November, it is understandable we don't know that. It may not even be finalized. I certainly don't expect them to have a price yet. Maybe a target but that's all.

Honestly, the game looks intriguing to me. Of course, it all comes down to how it plays. The Xbox One seems really bad to me. But I won't confuse the two as being the same thing. A bad system can have good games.
it might be good game but KI was major announcement and supposed to be system seller, the fact there being so quiet not only scares me but give me high hopes for the game. there's a reason for there quietness and gotta feeling its not gonna good

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 04:08:07 pm »
Honestly, the original Killer Instinct was a mediocre game. So why should we be excited about this, anyways?

sin2beta

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:08:58 pm »

it might be good game but KI was major announcement and supposed to be system seller, the fact there being so quiet not only scares me but give me high hopes for the game. there's a reason for there quietness and gotta feeling its not gonna good

Well, just don't buy the system. Then what they do won't have to scare you,

ffxik

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 02:32:00 am »
I would like to note that this was the very model that EA was talking about last year, I believe.  Thinking about how some other prices for DLC characters have been handled.  I am willing to bet that the minimum for these characters would be $5 possibly $10.  If it's the latter the consumers on this game are getting boned hardcore.  A fighting games fun is derived form local/online multiplayer and a diverse roster. 

The counter argument here is you don't necessarily have to buy the characters.  Severely restricting yourself by what want to spend is a move motivated entirely on greed.  Microsoft doesn't have a chance with this business model.  Not at this time.

sin2beta

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 03:43:01 pm »
I would like to note that this was the very model that EA was talking about last year, I believe.  Thinking about how some other prices for DLC characters have been handled.  I am willing to bet that the minimum for these characters would be $5 possibly $10.  If it's the latter the consumers on this game are getting boned hardcore.  A fighting games fun is derived form local/online multiplayer and a diverse roster. 

The counter argument here is you don't necessarily have to buy the characters.  Severely restricting yourself by what want to spend is a move motivated entirely on greed.  Microsoft doesn't have a chance with this business model.  Not at this time.

I think it all depends on the pricing for how I personally feel about it. In all honesty, I can see a little bit of good in this. This will sound stupid, but honestly, it makes sense. I miss pack in games. I miss demo discs. The pack-in ended with the PSOne, sadly. The demo disc followed shortly after. One of the best times I remember in my gaming history is playing the generator demo disc that came with my dreamcast on 9/9/99. One of the few benefits of the XBox One is that I can just buy the system ($100 more though, ouch!) and take it home and download Killer Instinct and play it. I assume other games will be there with the KI model. If you like it you can puchase the game. It brings back the demo disc pack in after what... a f&#*ing decade. Here is a good podcast reminiscing about nothing but that first demo disc... http://segaaddictskidstable.podbean.com/2012/12/21/dreampodcast-episode-1/

Now, the price matters. If it does follow the understandable hyperbole of most commenters, then each character will cost $5, let's say 14 characters... holy crap that's a lot of money. Of course, that's bad. But if the have a complete pack for a standard game price. Who cares? The argument that I mainly see in this case is really getting to the point of there is not a physical release. This confusion of the two terms seems to border a definist fallacy. The thing is the pay for character model could be good or bad at this point. If I was an XBoxOne owner and got the free to play Jago, then an option to buy all the rest of the characters for the full game for only $5. I would jump for joy. But of course that isn't likely. Likewise, I would be really upset if it is $10 for each character. I don't find that likely either. It is likely to fall in between.

At this point in my collecting, I honestly don't care to have physical discs. I don't think they should go away. Other people like them. But I don't see myself or want to collect for modern systems. With modern games, I want to experience them for a few hours and nevr touch them again. In this way, the free to play model works for me. It works really well. But I'm unusual in the gamer world in that I think everything after the dreamcast is crap anyway (except Forza).

For an alternate view (although I agree with the first half. Although I think he gets confused on being angry with the XBox versus the game in the second half. I mean do we know anything about pricing yet? I just see a lot of people falling for the fallacy of argument from silence). Anyways, here it is (AS ALWAYS NSFW):

brunauss

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 04:53:56 pm »
None of this is a surprise. Microsoft took advantage of RARE and made them their willing bitch. Yeah, harsh words. But few would disagree. When I first saw the E3 trailers, they screamed download game because of the graphics quality. The rest just compounded an already bad package. RARE really needs to find a way to get free of Microsoft.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

ffxik

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 05:52:29 am »
"Willette says players will be able to purchase and download the game in three ways. First, they can download the base — which includes Jago, online play, a training mode and the basics — for free, then choose to purchase other characters and features piecemeal. Second, they can purchase the equivalent of a season pass and pay up-front to get all the characters and content for the game as they are released. Or third, they can pay for a special edition of the season pass that also includes bonus content."

That was taken from an article on Polygon.  http://www.polygon.com/e3-2013/2013/6/14/4420310/defending-killer-instinct

However I believe that even in this last generation we had something similar to this.  It went by the name of downloadable demo.  I remember the old demo discs.  I had one on the Playstation that came with Medievil II, Test Drive 5, and Coolboarders 2 playable.  Played the hell out of them.  On the flip side I don't really miss them come to think of it.  No hate, just...  Actually I'll stop there.  I have to mull this personal revelation over.

On Microsofts website it has Forza 5 listed at $59.99.  Now going by what I have seen on XBLA when it comes to downloadable characters that is where I got my minimum $5 from for the F2P model. 

The thing is Microsoft is trying to become Steam.  That, for all purposes and intent is what the new Xbox is about.  I realize Steam has some crazy sales, pretty much the reason they have gotten so popular. Every time I have ever talked to anyone about Steam that is  either the first or second thing that they bring up.  I can't see Microsoft ever dropping digital retail games to the point of, or packaging them together for the deals you get on Steam.

Found this.  It's worth noting.  http://www.alivegamezone.com/2013/05/26/microsoft-why-xbox-one-might-fail/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:19:00 am by ffxik »

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 12:36:05 pm »
"Willette says players will be able to purchase and download the game in three ways. First, they can download the base — which includes Jago, online play, a training mode and the basics — for free, then choose to purchase other characters and features piecemeal. Second, they can purchase the equivalent of a season pass and pay up-front to get all the characters and content for the game as they are released. Or third, they can pay for a special edition of the season pass that also includes bonus content."

That was taken from an article on Polygon.  http://www.polygon.com/e3-2013/2013/6/14/4420310/defending-killer-instinct

However I believe that even in this last generation we had something similar to this.  It went by the name of downloadable demo.  I remember the old demo discs.  I had one on the Playstation that came with Medievil II, Test Drive 5, and Coolboarders 2 playable.  Played the hell out of them.  On the flip side I don't really miss them come to think of it.  No hate, just...  Actually I'll stop there.  I have to mull this personal revelation over.

On Microsofts website it has Forza 5 listed at $59.99.  Now going by what I have seen on XBLA when it comes to downloadable characters that is where I got my minimum $5 from for the F2P model. 

The thing is Microsoft is trying to become Steam.  That, for all purposes and intent is what the new Xbox is about.  I realize Steam has some crazy sales, pretty much the reason they have gotten so popular. Every time I have ever talked to anyone about Steam that is  either the first or second thing that they bring up.  I can't see Microsoft ever dropping digital retail games to the point of, or packaging them together for the deals you get on Steam.

Found this.  It's worth noting.  http://www.alivegamezone.com/2013/05/26/microsoft-why-xbox-one-might-fail/

Very well said.

htimreimer

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 06:36:01 pm »
finally they cleared things up. you think microsoft would do this during the E3 press conference

another thing defenders of the xbox don't understand about steam other then what you said ,is that the steam DRM can be removed for the future, hackers have already done this.

sin2beta

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 06:42:48 pm »
finally they cleared things up. you think microsoft would do this during the E3 press conference

another thing defenders of the xbox don't understand about steam other then what you said ,is that the steam DRM can be removed for the future, hackers have already done this.

Well you can remove DRM from anything. Steve Gaynor, Co-founder of the Fullbright company tweeted this regarding the XBox One announcement which summarizes the situation:

so the xbone has to phone home every 1- to 24-hours.. Isn't that like.. copy protection that's been trivially broken a million times before?

Because hackers do something to "fix" the DRM situation, doesn't make the companies placement of DRM justified. XBox One and Steam are both still rental services. Both should be able to be hacked out of it though. But that doesn't stop the fact that both companies created a rental service.

nintendojuggalo

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 06:51:24 am »
Gotta love how IGN is supporting an obvious shitty game. I wish Rare would give up already.