Author Topic: Wii Vitality Sensor Has Been Canceled  (Read 1871 times)

htimreimer

Wii Vitality Sensor Has Been Canceled
« on: July 06, 2013, 01:28:22 pm »
the controller with the interesting idea has been canceled and to quote satoru iwata on why its canceled

"After a large-scale test of a prototype inside the company, we found out that for some people the sensor did not work as expected.

We pushed forward its development on the academic assumption that by observing the wave patterns of the human pulse, we could quantify how tense or relaxed a person is, Or, to be more specific, how much the sympathetic and parasympathetic nerves work as functions of the autonomic nerve.

The Wii Vitality Sensor is an interesting device and we did various experiments to see what is possible when it was combined with a video game. But, as a result, we have not been able to launch it as a commercial product because we could not get it to work as we expected and it was of narrower application than we had originally thought.

We would like to launch it into the market if technology advancements enable 999 of 1000 people to use it without any problems, not only 90 out of 100 people
."

scott

Re: Wii Vitality Sensor Has Been Canceled
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 02:11:27 pm »
In truth it was prolly cancelled because Nintendo saw the outcry of people freaking out about Microsoft's Kinect being about to monitor heart rates and such and didn't want any of that press.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 03:20:21 pm »
What I wonder is why this thing wasn't cancelled 5 seconds after being announced.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:36:02 pm »
Honestly I'm kind of sad it's cancelled. Why? Because I think it could have helped make a great Clock Tower type game

jobocan

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 06:52:32 pm »
Honestly I'm kind of sad it's cancelled. Why? Because I think it could have helped make a great Clock Tower type game

That's really the only thing I could think of that would have been cool with it.

Now they can just do it with the Kinect's creepy heart rate sensing tech (and steal some of your info to better choose ads to display to you at the same time, of course).

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 07:16:33 pm »

That's really the only thing I could think of that would have been cool with it.

Now they can just do it with the Kinect's creepy heart rate sensing tech (and steal some of your info to better choose ads to display to you at the same time, of course).

if it seriously does chose Ads to Display based on surroundings I can't wait to see a whole bunch of Nintendo Ads on the Xbox One if I ever get one due to the posters I have Hanging around

jobocan

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 07:24:07 pm »
if it seriously does chose Ads to Display based on surroundings I can't wait to see a whole bunch of Nintendo Ads on the Xbox One if I ever get one due to the posters I have Hanging around

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/07/microsoft-xbox-one-advertising-will-integrate-with-kinect/

Right out the mouth of an MS employee, it's pretty much confirmed that the Kinect does things in regards to helping with advertising, though obviously they didn't go in detail with it.

It would be funny to see Nintendo ads all over the Xbone dashboard :P

jcalder8

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 11:40:31 pm »
I'm surprised it took this long to get canceled!

scott

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 02:25:03 am »
Honestly, I didn't even know it was a thing? haha.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 03:24:58 am »
Fancy wording for "This was a terrible product" in my opinion~!  I simply could not envision a realistic setting where this was marketable to any valid degree....  Though, I am no professional in those regards, so who am I to say~?

pacpix

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 05:39:00 pm »
I completely forgot they were making this!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 07:43:13 pm »
Wasn't there talk about something like this for eternal darkness? If not, wouldn't that be cool for an insanity meter...
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 10:53:59 pm »
What! :(
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー