Author Topic: Remember Me and other updates  (Read 3199 times)

desocietas

Re: Remember Me and other updates
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 08:56:39 pm »
Has anyone noticed this **not** working? I'm having some issues with it and haven't been able to track down the source.

Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I assumed it's because I'm logging in from different computers? The computers being my home and work computers.

Yeah, that's what it seems to be doing on mine. Once I do "remember me" on a certain computer, it stays that way as I check in on it again through the day. But when I switch from that work computer to my home comp, it needs to "remember me" again.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

matt

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 09:56:03 pm »
Has anyone noticed this **not** working? I'm having some issues with it and haven't been able to track down the source.

Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I assumed it's because I'm logging in from different computers? The computers being my home and work computers.

Yeah, that's what it seems to be doing on mine. Once I do "remember me" on a certain computer, it stays that way as I check in on it again through the day. But when I switch from that work computer to my home comp, it needs to "remember me" again.

ahh good point. I wrote it in a way that the remember me cookie has a unique key assigned on login. If we login on a different system (phone, work PC, etc) that key will be invalid. Hmm...I'm not sure if there is any other secure way to do this.

bobster

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 09:59:19 pm »

ahh good point. I wrote it in a way that the remember me cookie has a unique key assigned on login. If we login on a different system (phone, work PC, etc) that key will be invalid. Hmm...I'm not sure if there is any other secure way to do this.

I'll be the first to admit I don't really know web design, but is there a way to have multiple unique keys? As oxymoronic as that sounds lol.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

matt

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 10:01:12 am »
I'll be the first to admit I don't really know web design, but is there a way to have multiple unique keys? As oxymoronic as that sounds lol.

haha I probably could update it to store multiple keys - I'll add it to the todo list under the other 2,000 items :)

When you login, I create a long random string that is unique to you. That string is stored in the database as well as in a cookie on your PC. When you come back and visit the site, it checks for that cookie and checks to see if that key matches what is in the database. I think the way it is setup will work for most users. Those of us who jump around multiple devices will probably just have to login each time because the key is reissued on each login.

bobster

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 10:11:35 am »

haha I probably could update it to store multiple keys - I'll add it to the todo list under the other 2,000 items :)

When you login, I create a long random string that is unique to you. That string is stored in the database as well as in a cookie on your PC. When you come back and visit the site, it checks for that cookie and checks to see if that key matches what is in the database. I think the way it is setup will work for most users. Those of us who jump around multiple devices will probably just have to login each time because the key is reissued on each login.

I thought that might be how you handled it. I'd say storing multiple keys would work. Maybe 5 at most? If you have more than 5 devices accessing the site well too bad lol.
Currently Playing: The Witcher