Author Topic: Dreamcast VMU  (Read 4192 times)

sin2beta

Re: Dreamcast VMU
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 01:36:59 pm »
Ah cool  :D  Can't wait to check out the vids, but I have no idea what SG-1000 is, so I guess I"ll learn something  ;)

Sega's first home console, released in 1983, but exclusive to Japan. A few of the more popular games for it were re-released on Sega Master System in English, though.

It actually had a wider release. The platform was released in Australia, parts of Europe (Spain, Italy), the US (if you consider the telegames personal arcade however we received no games that I know of) and most successfully Taiwan. The system was quite popular in Taiwan (somewhat akin to the Master System in Brazil). Due to the massive popularity there, that territory even kept the mark naming all the way to the Genesis and Mega Drive. In Taiwan the Mega Drive is the Mark V, a name chosen in no small amount due to the popularity of the SG 1000. Some interesting things were made in that territory due to the popularity/install base making certain types of piracy worth it. The console is very similar to a Colecovision or MSX, which allowed for an adapter that increases the memory of the SG1000-II and allows for ports of MSX games on the SG-1000. Bock from SMS power supplied these awesome pictures:

It was actually released elsewhere, but SEGA used third party distributors pretty much exclusively at this time. This is the reason why Spain had the SG1000 but the UK did not. It was all based on the third party distributor's region.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:41:00 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 01:52:54 pm »
I read about the Dyna system in the U.S., also could play ColecoVision games, IIRC. From what I understand, it was a VERY limited release, though, that you could only get through a certain mail-order catalog.

sin2beta

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 02:29:04 pm »
I read about the Dyna system in the U.S., also could play ColecoVision games, IIRC. From what I understand, it was a VERY limited release, though, that you could only get through a certain mail-order catalog.

Yeah, I haven't heard of it being sold outside the catalog. That clone (which is why I would not really consider it an SG1000 release) had a fatal flaw where if you played the system for too long the system would cook itself. So, not a good choice if you actually want to play your games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 02:45:20 pm »

Yeah, I haven't heard of it being sold outside the catalog. That clone (which is why I would not really consider it an SG1000 release) had a fatal flaw where if you played the system for too long the system would cook itself. So, not a good choice if you actually want to play your games.

Oh, that's terrible. I'm glad you said that, becuase if I ever ran across one I would've snatched it up in a heartbeat. Now I won't.

pacpix

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 06:10:07 pm »

Oh, that's terrible. I'm glad you said that, becuase if I ever ran across one I would've snatched it up in a heartbeat. Now I won't.
Yeah same here.  Thanks for the heads up!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

sin2beta

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 06:42:18 pm »

Yeah same here.  Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, I was looking for it as well. Atari2600.com obtained the system a while ago. It's still there as well. Basically, what happens is the mainboard draws too much power. It's fine for a while but slowly destroys components. I suspect this is due to the system being overstock from BitCorp. BitCorp was a Taiwan based company that produced the SG-1000 clone (SG-1000 being fairly popular there as mentioned earlier). Unfortunately, Taiwan uses 60Hz, A,B style outlets, and 110V. The US is identical except for 120V. I would suspect that if you used a regulator keeping it at 110V, it might be fine. But it also could just be a cheap, Taiwan-made, clone system that cooks itself even at its own country's 110V.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 06:44:10 pm by sin2beta »

sin2beta

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 09:11:46 pm »
Not to hijack the thread even more. But since this turned into SG-1000 talk, here is my completed first episode of SG-Awesome.

90snostalga

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 01:34:22 am »
Not to hijack the thread even more. But since this turned into SG-1000 talk, here is my completed first episode of SG-Awesome.

great vid!!!  I enjoyed the old sg-1000 commercials and I had no idea the famous "SEGA" sound came from the early 80s.  I'm going to watch episode 2 when you put it out.    Question.  I just want to make sure I got it correct.  With a card adapter, I can bypass some verification code and play the SG-1000 games on a Master System???  I have a NTSC model 1 Master system.  Or do you have to get a master system from another region???

90snostalga

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 01:39:32 am »
Oh and when you said next video will be on catalog number 001, are you referring to the very first game for the sg 1000??  So each video you will be providing information for each game?

sin2beta

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 02:04:28 am »

great vid!!!  I enjoyed the old sg-1000 commercials and I had no idea the famous "SEGA" sound came from the early 80s.  I'm going to watch episode 2 when you put it out.    Question.  I just want to make sure I got it correct.  With a card adapter, I can bypass some verification code and play the SG-1000 games on a Master System???  I have a NTSC model 1 Master system.  Or do you have to get a master system from another region???

Not quite. The Card Catcher is to play the card games on the older SG-1000s. To play SG-1000 games on a western system, you have to use a flash cart you put roms on. Such as, http://www.stoneagegamer.com/flash-carts/master-everdrive-master-system/all-regions-en-2/

If you want to play the actual carts and not just the hardware, you have to get a Japanese Master System or earlier. Personally, I would go with the Flash Cart. Most SG1000 stuff is fairly expensive due to its rarity. You can also always go the emulator route to just experience the game. Capturing footage for the series, I'm running the games off of a Dreamcast using an emulator. It gets the color right, And I just use an arcade stick. It feels fairly accurate.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 02:15:04 am by sin2beta »

sin2beta

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 02:09:46 am »
Oh and when you said next video will be on catalog number 001, are you referring to the very first game for the sg 1000??  So each video you will be providing information for each game?

That's the plan. I'm starting with the first game and going in order to the last game. The goal is to go at a rate of one a week. We'll see though... ::) I'm aiming for Wednesday releases. I like to lounge around Sundays working on it. Then refine it a bit on Monday and Tuesday. Seems to work well. I'm a bit of a ways through researching and playing Borderline. I've come up with a lot more content than I originally thought I would.

Interestingly enough though. I got a content warning from World Wrestling Entertainment stating I was using some of their copyrighted material.  :o I thought that was funny. We'll see how that goes and if anyone at Youtube or WWE watches the video before trying to take it down.

90snostalga

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 04:32:24 pm »

That's the plan. I'm starting with the first game and going in order to the last game. The goal is to go at a rate of one a week. We'll see though... ::) I'm aiming for Wednesday releases. I like to lounge around Sundays working on it. Then refine it a bit on Monday and Tuesday. Seems to work well. I'm a bit of a ways through researching and playing Borderline. I've come up with a lot more content than I originally thought I would.

Interestingly enough though. I got a content warning from World Wrestling Entertainment stating I was using some of their copyrighted material.  :o I thought that was funny. We'll see how that goes and if anyone at Youtube or WWE watches the video before trying to take it down.

you theif!!!!   ;)  I'm not big on online games.  Never did an emulator or rom but I'm going to watch each weeks and take note of some games I want to play, then I may get that rom cart or find the cheapest version of another region to play the sg-1000 games.  That Garden Girl looked pretty cool  :)

sin2beta

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 11:46:41 pm »

you theif!!!!   ;)  I'm not big on online games.  Never did an emulator or rom but I'm going to watch each weeks and take note of some games I want to play, then I may get that rom cart or find the cheapest version of another region to play the sg-1000 games.  That Garden Girl looked pretty cool  :)

Oh my god! Girl's Garden is so freaking good! And I feel weird saying that and everything else about it. But, in the game, you basically pick flowers for a boy you like. That's it. But it's so fun. For some reason there's bears out to get you. And it turns out love can only take a finite number of bear attacks. That number is two. I found that fact profoundly interesting. Plus, at the top of the screen is a timer. It turns out if you take too long your two-timing hussy of a boyfriend goes to the girl down the street.

And the mini-game-based-challenge stage has you launching the girl over bears. I couldn't stop laughing when that happened. Then I felt bad about laughing at a girl being launched over bears.

Plus, it's Yuji Naka's firs game. He is best known for creating Sonic.

pacpix

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 11:53:05 pm »

Really good video, can't wait to watch the rest of the series!  I was surprised to see H.E.R.O. and Pitfall had ports to the system.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

90snostalga

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 05:31:37 pm »

Oh my god! Girl's Garden is so freaking good! And I feel weird saying that and everything else about it. But, in the game, you basically pick flowers for a boy you like. That's it. But it's so fun. For some reason there's bears out to get you. And it turns out love can only take a finite number of bear attacks. That number is two. I found that fact profoundly interesting. Plus, at the top of the screen is a timer. It turns out if you take too long your two-timing hussy of a boyfriend goes to the girl down the street.

And the mini-game-based-challenge stage has you launching the girl over bears. I couldn't stop laughing when that happened. Then I felt bad about laughing at a girl being launched over bears.

Plus, it's Yuji Naka's firs game. He is best known for creating Sonic.

lol its a crazy story line for girls garden but seems fun to play.  I'm adding that to my wish list.  I checked out your retro reviews for Double Dragon and Rampage.  Great reviews.  I would personally say tho, that Double Dragon seemed best for the Genesis.  But I think your video was just comparing the 8 bit systems. 

P.S.  Did you just add the legendary Sonic for the Master System to your collection????!!  Or has that been there and I just noticed it?  ::) ???