Author Topic: Learning Languages  (Read 3848 times)

Learning Languages
« on: September 27, 2013, 07:52:33 am »
Does anyone else hear like learning languages? I am currently learning French, German, Greek, and Mandarin Chinese. I'm also taking Spanish next semester, and am planning n learning Japanese.

Re: Learning Languages
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 08:33:46 am »
I am learning Japanese, but I have to focus on marching band and school as of right now.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 11:29:47 am »
I'm learning Japanese right now, too.  But work/school is taking up a lot of time.  And there's no time for gaming, either!

How can you learn so many at the same time? I'd worry I'd get them mixed up.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 12:17:54 pm »
How can you learn so many at the same time?

I know; right  :o

I'm fluent in 2 languages, ~ 1/2 fluent in 2 more, and know 100 words or so in 2 or 3 more...and that shit wasn't easy!

Some people just have a gift for them, I guess...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:53:06 pm »
How can you learn so many at the same time?

I know; right  :o

I'm fluent in 2 languages, ~ 1/2 fluent in 2 more, and know 100 words or so in 2 or 3 more...and that shit wasn't easy!

Some people just have a gift for them, I guess...

Well, I try to be dedicated to them. I'm only really fluent in English, and kind of fluent in French (not really though), so I have a long way to go. What languages do you know?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 02:12:01 pm »
Fluent in English & Spanish

Know (varying amounts up ~ 1/2 fluent (or less)) = Arabic, Portuguese, Italian, Latin, German, and French.

Keep in mind that I'm only "fluent" in 2 & just know bits & pieces of the rest :)

atariboy

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 04:12:43 pm »
learning new languages has always been difficult for me, Hell my dad is from Mexico and I can barely speak spanish. I have tried sooooo many different programs to learn (would be nice to be able to talk with my grandma she still lives in Mexico) but just can't learn it. I understand better than I can speak it but it is no where where it should be. Growing up my dad only spoke english to us because he was trying to learn english himself. I wish he would have taught us spanish first then english second   :'(
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 09:44:55 pm »
learning new languages has always been difficult for me, Hell my dad is from Mexico and I can barely speak spanish. I have tried sooooo many different programs to learn (would be nice to be able to talk with my grandma she still lives in Mexico) but just can't learn it. I understand better than I can speak it but it is no where where it should be. Growing up my dad only spoke english to us because he was trying to learn english himself. I wish he would have taught us spanish first then english second   :'(

Yeah, I can get why it's hard for some people. The only way to learn really is by practising, practising, and practising.

jobocan

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 12:59:53 am »
I know english and french. Started learning spanish, hated it so I stopped after my high school class.

A few years back I started japanese but also stopped for no real reason, but I'm a lot more competent in japanese than I ever was at spanish. I can't speak a whole lot of it, but I can understand it relatively well, and read it fine as long as kanji doesn't start appearing (I only know a handful of those).

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 04:20:54 am »
I used to study Hebrew (current and old tongue) and it was very fun trying to read a Hebrew version of the Bible!  Got older and when I did not have to use Hebrew and every day life, I kind of forgot most of what I learned.  I want to get back into it again.  I want to learn Arabic as well after hebrew  ;)  Anyone on here speak Hebrew???

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 07:35:51 am »
I know english and french. Started learning spanish, hated it so I stopped after my high school class.

A few years back I started japanese but also stopped for no real reason, but I'm a lot more competent in japanese than I ever was at spanish. I can't speak a whole lot of it, but I can understand it relatively well, and read it fine as long as kanji doesn't start appearing (I only know a handful of those).

Pourquoi tu détestais l'espagnol? Je veux apprendre le japonais, mais je ne sais pas si j'ai le temps.  J'ai peur à propos les kanji. J'apprends les sinogrammes pour chinois, et c'est très difficile!

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 07:40:23 am »
I used to study Hebrew (current and old tongue) and it was very fun trying to read a Hebrew version of the Bible!  Got older and when I did not have to use Hebrew and every day life, I kind of forgot most of what I learned.  I want to get back into it again.  I want to learn Arabic as well after hebrew  ;)  Anyone on here speak Hebrew???

Do you have an interest in Israel? My brother wants to learn Arabic, but I'm not sure if he will. That's pretty cool that you used to be able to read Hebrew! I hope that I won't forget any of my languages.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 09:34:08 am »

Yeah, it's definitely much better/easier when 2 different languages are spoken at home & can be learned/used/practiced while you're still young.  I didn't have good luck with that :(

The Arabic I've learned, was mainly, from dating a Palestinian girl for a year or so.  Not only did I get to hear/learn a lot of the curses (damning my father for 'creating' me, etc:), but also, going out of my way to get her to teach me.

Also, for Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Arabic...I've worked at places where I was lucky enough to get the people working for me to help out & teach me (while I'd do the same for them).

Funny story:

I once told a Portuguese girl working for me to "go get ___ from around the corner".

She was still pretty weak w/ her English -and apparently- out of my whole sentence...the word "corner" stood-out to her, caught her attention, and reddened her face   :-[

That's how I learned (and remember to this day) that "corner" sounds just like the Portuguese equivalent of "pussy" (and not the animals)  :o

Just like "cabron" in Spanish.

To some Spanish-speaking people/areas...it's a blatant insult -while- to others...it's a compliment.

Gotta' be careful & watch yourself w/ that kind of shit!

sin2beta

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 06:40:49 pm »
Aside from English, I took 3 years of German in High School and 1 year of German in college. I also know a little Japanese from when we my dad was stationed there and self study. But I know very little. I can read signs enough to make my way around and can ask for basic guidance. This is something I want to work on though. I care less about speaking it than reading it. I would like to be able to play import games, read manga, and watch Japanese subbed shows. I don't care how much of an accent, how much I mispronounce things, or how stupid I sound.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 06:45:28 pm »
Aside from English, I took 3 years of German in High School and 1 year of German in college. I also know a little Japanese from when we my dad was stationed there and self study. But I know very little. I can read signs enough to make my way around and can ask for basic guidance. This is something I want to work on though. I care less about speaking it than reading it. I would like to be able to play import games, read manga, and watch Japanese subbed shows. I don't care how much of an accent, how much I mispronounce things, or how stupid I sound.

That's a great point!  I wanted to play some of the Dragon ball and DBZ games on the Famicom and Super Famicom and I seen some cool Saturn games in Japanese, but it sucks when you cannot read them  >:(