Author Topic: Sega for the 90's The New Generation  (Read 4218 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Sega for the 90's The New Generation
« on: October 05, 2013, 02:12:15 pm »
My Master System knowledge is pretty limited. I didn't get the system until last spring. So, I need some help from you Sega guys. (I'm looking at you Sin2Bata)

I bought a copy of Wanted. The cover art alone is too good not to buy. Anyway, it has a sticker on the cartridge that says "Sega for the 90's The New Generation".  Does anyone know anything about this promotion?

*edit:  This is my 1000th post!  I'm a grown up now!

sin2beta

Re: Sega for the 90's The New Generation
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 03:16:55 pm »
Yeah, they were very early promotional videos. The slogan did not last long. It went to Genesis Does pretty quickly. Here are a list of videos. Most of the Genesis for the 90s slogan was not television but quick spots on televisions in stores. That is my understanding but I'm not 100%.

SEGA for the 90s was very Genesis specific. But they were promoting the backwards compatibility with the SMS and Powerbase converter. Made the library seem bigger.

Here's a partial list of the games with the sticker http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=42&threadid=41468 I imagine they slapped em on whatever games were distributed after SEGA took the rights back from TONKA, but that's just a hunch.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 03:23:43 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

soera

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 04:01:58 pm »
There arent too many games with the stickers. And if you read the Sega Age post, it mentions that all the pieces of the game itself have it on them. I have 2 games currently that are 90s (Captain Silver and Carmen Sandiego) as well as another game on the way soon. Value wise, I cant imagine they are much more (although I keep seeing people try to sell the Carmen Sandiego version for like 20 times what the normal version is *Btw, the sticker is also on the almanac*). Collector wise, they are nifty to have if they all match but nothing more in my eyes.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 04:26:37 pm »
Yeah, they were very early promotional videos. The slogan did not last long. It went to Genesis Does pretty quickly. Here are a list of videos. Most of the Genesis for the 90s slogan was not television but quick spots on televisions in stores. That is my understanding but I'm not 100%.

SEGA for the 90s was very Genesis specific. But they were promoting the backwards compatibility with the SMS and Powerbase converter. Made the library seem bigger.

Here's a partial list of the games with the sticker http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=42&threadid=41468 I imagine they slapped em on whatever games were distributed after SEGA took the rights back from TONKA, but that's just a hunch.

Cool video, thanks. Cheesiest announcer and background music ever on that first one, lol.

sin2beta

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 04:39:54 pm »

Cool video, thanks. Cheesiest announcer and background music ever on that first one, lol.

My favorite is the SEGA CD store demo commercial starting at around 9:25. It's like the 1990s vomited a commercial. It's right up there with the Burger King "I Love This Place" commercials on the official sin2beta "90s radical scale".

I just realized I have a fairly unhealthy obsession with advertising campaigns.

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 06:09:43 pm »
... Burger King sold popcorn and shrimp in the 90s? ???

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 08:57:36 pm »
That's cool that every part has a sticker. You can tell if a CIB copy has been pieced together. Very cool.

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 07:05:09 am »
... Burger King sold popcorn and shrimp in the 90s? ???

Yeah, the 90s were a special time where restaurants experimented making to much stuff. And then people realized that Burger King didn't sell popcorn or shrimp for a reason.

For example Wendy's used to have a buffet bar with pizza....

htimreimer

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 10:19:30 pm »
here in canada, mcdonalds had pizza and according to my mom and dad, it was awful

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 03:46:51 am »
Interesting Topic!  I think I have learned something new as I never heard of Sega generation for the 90s but I am still confused.   ???  Was this only a special sticker on select Genesis cartridges, and/or a specific special line of Genesis games?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 08:56:14 am »
I don't know about Genesis games, but I found the sticker on a Master System game.  It was just a sticker on the case, book, and cart. 

soera

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 09:56:45 am »
It wasnt on Genesis at all as far as I know.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 06:00:24 pm »
I've only ever seen it on Master System carts. The cart boxes typically have something similar printed on the box art, too, iirc.

sin2beta

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 09:06:25 pm »
It is weird that it is only on the Master System games. All of the in store demo ads were geared at the Genesis. I'm guessing that they were pushing this on the Master System to convert the users to the Genesis. They ran a deal where if you sent your Master System in, you got a power base converter. I don't remember the specifics though.

soera

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 11:10:15 pm »
Im happy to say I finally scored a game Ive been in the market for and its the Sega 90's version : Power strike. :)