Author Topic: Sega CD  (Read 2469 times)

90snostalga

Sega CD
« on: October 18, 2013, 08:57:02 am »
I'm looking for the Sega CD system.  Would you recommend the model with the sliding tray (i think this is model 1), or the more common one where you put the genesis model 2 and sega cd on the tray?  sin2beta, I need your answer

90snostalga

Re: Sega CD
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:59:30 am »
I'm mainly asking because some one told me there were issues with the model 1 so I wasn't sure.  model 1 does look better and would fit better on my shelf with blu ray and dvd player

blipcs76

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 09:49:25 am »
From everything I know about it, I'd suggest the model 2.  I've heard many times that the model 1 Sega CD is horribly prone to problems.

I do agree that the model 1 looks much nicer.  I'd pick one up if I could find a deal on one, but I'd still use the model 2 when I wanted to play games on it.

soera

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 10:05:16 am »
When I beta tested the Model I, it indeed had a lot of problems back then. I dont know what all got fixed. Model II I really dont have that much experience with. Once I get my CDX paid for, Ill let you know how that one works.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:27:21 pm »
I've had good luck with both models, I've had to change the fuses on a couple different ones, but since then they've worked great. If you're looking for a model 1 just keep in mind that they are a little harder to work on because of the sliding tray.
P.S. I've got a model 2 for sale

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 01:48:56 pm »
Model 2 isn't better with the laser problems. I've been through 2, and now I don't have a Sega CD at all.

90snostalga

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 02:21:08 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  Sounds like I just have to gamble on either one lol.  I'm going to try to get them cheap.  I just wanted to play Sonic CD, Lunar and Dungeon Explorer.

90snostalga

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 02:21:49 pm »
I've had good luck with both models, I've had to change the fuses on a couple different ones, but since then they've worked great. If you're looking for a model 1 just keep in mind that they are a little harder to work on because of the sliding tray.
P.S. I've got a model 2 for sale

How much for the model 2?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 02:52:10 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  Sounds like I just have to gamble on either one lol.  I'm going to try to get them cheap.  I just wanted to play Sonic CD, Lunar and Dungeon Explorer.

There are other, cheaper options if you have other consoles for those games.

Lunar is also on PS1 (and maybe Saturn, I think). Sonic CD is on the Sonic Gems collection for GameCube and available on XBox Live Arcade. And Dungeon Explorer is on Wii Virtual Console (although I have the TG-16 version, not sure if the Sega CD version is on there or not) and obviously also on TG-16 since I just mentioned it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:53:42 pm by burningdoom »

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 03:21:16 pm »

There are other, cheaper options if you have other consoles for those games.

Lunar is also on PS1 (and maybe Saturn, I think). Sonic CD is on the Sonic Gems collection for GameCube and available on XBox Live Arcade. And Dungeon Explorer is on Wii Virtual Console (although I have the TG-16 version, not sure if the Sega CD version is on there or not) and obviously also on TG-16 since I just mentioned it.

Yea I wanted to play it on Turbografx 16 as well.  Not sure which is better.  Turbo is on my wish list I can never find those.  Probl have to use Ebay

soera

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 03:24:34 pm »
That is most of the reason I havent had a Sega CD in a long time ... most of the games have been brought over to other systems. I really wish Vay and Popful Mail would be moved to other systems as well.

I am, however, in the process of purchasing a CDX and will be looking for those soon. CDX is only on my list cause it was a good price, a good person selling, and cause I could make payments on it so Im not really out much.

TG-16 is in the same boat. Most of the games have moved and the only reason I got mine was cause someone was willing to swap for an NES cart. I did pick up Ys I&II on Wii VC though and its the exact same version.

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 05:37:13 pm »
Im asking $35 for it, comes with a power supply as well

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 07:40:05 pm »

If 90s doesn't take you up on that offer, message me.

sin2beta

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 09:36:40 pm »
Neither one has horrible problems. Hell, even the lasers aren't bad on those. Honestly, the best I've seen. 20 years and most are running strong. They were tried and true lasers with no gimmicks of reading different color bottoms, GD-ROM nonsense, etc. They're solid.

I would go model 2 because they are easier to find. No other reason. I purposefully picked a model 2 Genny because it would be easier to find 32X cables, Sega CD, etc. Granted they all work on a model 1.... but I like the looks of the model 2 "tower of power" better.

Now the Model 1 tower of power with the Power Base in place of the 32x is just plain sexy.

Either one is good. For price, I would look at around 30. $35 is a good price. If you just want one to play today, I would expect somewhere around $50-$60.

For your first one, I would suggest going for a store or picking it up from someone reputable. They are solid. But they are 20 year old electronics, with moving parts, being shipped across the country... Solid or not, shit can go down.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 10:50:09 pm »

If 90s doesn't take you up on that offer, message me.

YOu can go ahead.  It's going to be a few weeks before I would have 35 so you can get it :)