Author Topic: Feature suggestions  (Read 563 times)

Feature suggestions
« on: October 20, 2013, 02:39:28 pm »
I played around on the site for the last hour after signing up and already see some things I'd like to see on here even though I think this site is pretty awesome.

The only real reason I keep my games in a spreadsheet is so I don't end up with duplicates (which has happened to me several times when I see a vintage game at a thrift store, etc. that I didn't think I already owned).

Also, I tend to organize my games by Genre, and then in chronological order (or basically, "however I feel like it") LOL...

I keep all "Star Wars" games together regardless of Genre or platform — Grand Theft takes a special place on my mantle (my favorites of all time) — and I have pretty much every console version of the Call of Duty / Medal of Honor series along with all other military FPS shooters, then any OTHER fps shooters in the same place, but "space" ones together (like Halo) etc etc.

I don't really have a set system.

It would be really awesome if there were other sorting options for viewing your collection, such as by genre (instead of just platform / alpha).

The "completely awesome" thing to do would be to allow users to have a "my bookshelf" option for a list view, and allow them to manually sort their collection to their liking. Maybe even "groups" to allow users to categorize their own sub-collections.

I could see a sweet ajax list where users could drag their titles in the order they want (like put the GTA titles in the order they were made vs alphabetical). It probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to implement by adding a "group" and "priority" field to the collection table for each user in the database. Grouped games would be able to be dragged as a unit. Could use checkboxes to drag multiple games around etc.

Just ideas. I can see myself using this site to organize my collection — but I do have them in a google spreadsheet and on my bookshelves in a certain way that makes them easier for me to see the genres and collections I have "holes" in to fill.

However, my simple spreadsheet is getting to be a pain because of how big my collection is starting to get.

matt

Re: Feature suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 03:43:25 pm »
Thanks for all of the suggestions. As you see, we've really limited our sorting options and stuck to a very basic list. This was mostly intentional as we simply wanted to focus on ease-of-use and not bombard users with tons of features. We've never be able to cover each and every use case but if we keep going down the path of having a system that is simple to use I think 99% of you guys will be happy.  That being said, as we mature we are definitely going to be looking on adding more options to the list. One of my main ideas was to eventually have customer user list. ie. a user could create a "OMG FAVORITE GAMES EVA!" list and add game to it. This would be completed separate from the main collection.

Regardless, I just wanted to reply and let you know that we will be expanding it eventually even though it isn't our main priority.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:57:32 pm »
That's cool. I know everyone has their own way of organizing things, and fully know you can't please everyone and need to limit your focus to what you can do in the period of time you have and the resources available.

I like to tell people — if you run around trying to please everyone, you just piss off the people (like myself) who can't stand those who try to please everyone, and therefore it is impossible to do.

I stumbled upon the site while looking for "organization tips" for my collection (actually things like bookshelving / universal cases / how people display their collections in their "man caves" etc) and thought the site was really cool.

Another random idea would be to "tally" the estimated values of people's collections based on the estimate figure in the game descriptions. That would be a fun thing to see (even if it is just estimated) — so long as people aren't advertising that to potential burglars!

I'll most likely use my spreadsheets to keep my collection organized (used for making sure I don't buy duplicates mostly) but this is cool, especially when looking for variations of packaging, special editions etc., that I may not know about.

The wikipedia of video games :-)

matt

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 11:35:10 pm »
That's cool. I know everyone has their own way of organizing things, and fully know you can't please everyone and need to limit your focus to what you can do in the period of time you have and the resources available.

I like to tell people — if you run around trying to please everyone, you just piss off the people (like myself) who can't stand those who try to please everyone, and therefore it is impossible to do.

I stumbled upon the site while looking for "organization tips" for my collection (actually things like bookshelving / universal cases / how people display their collections in their "man caves" etc) and thought the site was really cool.

Another random idea would be to "tally" the estimated values of people's collections based on the estimate figure in the game descriptions. That would be a fun thing to see (even if it is just estimated) — so long as people aren't advertising that to potential burglars!

I'll most likely use my spreadsheets to keep my collection organized (used for making sure I don't buy duplicates mostly) but this is cool, especially when looking for variations of packaging, special editions etc., that I may not know about.

The wikipedia of video games :-)

Estimated values are coming!