Author Topic: Unreal Tournament and Quake Series  (Read 3169 times)

90snostalga

Unreal Tournament and Quake Series
« on: October 22, 2013, 06:32:34 pm »
I have never played Unreal Tournament or any game from the Quake series.  I wanted to go back and play all these myself, and play them with friends for the multiplayer features.  Which one of the two would you say is better, and for which console to play each one, or is it better to play them on the PC?

90snostalga

Re: Unreal Tournament and Quake Series
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 06:34:09 pm »
I know that games are typically better on the pc, but if you could choose a console for these games, which console would it be?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 06:39:43 pm »
For console releases, Quake 1 & 2 had great ports on the N64. If you can't stand the N64 controller (like myself), then there's a port of Quake 1 on Saturn, and Quake II on PS1. Obviously the graphics aren't as good on those ports, though.

Quake III: Arena was released on Dreamcast, which I enjoyed. But there were also later ports and versions on PS2, so I'm not sure which is better. And I know nothing on Quake 4 other than the fact it's on XBox 360, I don't know how good it is.

As for Unreal Tournament, there's a very fun version on Dreamcast. But they released Unreal Championship for later consoles, too. So you probably want to go for that (but I haven't played Championship, personally).

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 09:06:33 am »
For console releases, Quake 1 & 2 had great ports on the N64. If you can't stand the N64 controller (like myself), then there's a port of Quake 1 on Saturn, and Quake II on PS1. Obviously the graphics aren't as good on those ports, though.

Quake III: Arena was released on Dreamcast, which I enjoyed. But there were also later ports and versions on PS2, so I'm not sure which is better. And I know nothing on Quake 4 other than the fact it's on XBox 360, I don't know how good it is.

As for Unreal Tournament, there's a very fun version on Dreamcast. But they released Unreal Championship for later consoles, too. So you probably want to go for that (but I haven't played Championship, personally).

Thanks for the information Doom.  Looks like this might have to be a trial and error kind of thing.  I do like the N64 controller but I like the Saturn system as well.  I love Dreamcast.  I guess I'll just have to try them all and find out the hard way  ;)

brunauss

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 01:58:32 pm »
Trial and error can bite the dust on this one. I have played all the versions.

Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition on PC is simply the best.
Unreal Championship added new exclusive weapons and scemarios.
Unreal Championship 2 introduced third person perspective and exclusive arenas supporting vertical combat.
Unreal Tournament 2003 introduced expansive outdoor arenas.
Unreal Tournament 2004 Editors Choice Edition introduced Onslaught mode and hoverboards, along with a modding kit with insane options.
2003 and 2004 never saw console release.

Quake 1 was awesome on PC. N64 was indeed the best console port.
Quake 2 introduced a solid story and has an insane modding community and options.
The best port of this one is bundled with the storied sequel on Xbox 360, Quake 4.
Quake 3 is simply great on any platform and now can be streamed right from iD software as Quake Live.
Quake 4 looks and plays great on either PC or Xbox 360
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is structured like Warhawk in gameplay. Available on PC, PS3 and 360.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

90snostalga

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 02:38:53 pm »
Trial and error can bite the dust on this one. I have played all the versions.

Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition on PC is simply the best.
Unreal Championship added new exclusive weapons and scemarios.
Unreal Championship 2 introduced third person perspective and exclusive arenas supporting vertical combat.
Unreal Tournament 2003 introduced expansive outdoor arenas.
Unreal Tournament 2004 Editors Choice Edition introduced Onslaught mode and hoverboards, along with a modding kit with insane options.
2003 and 2004 never saw console release.

Quake 1 was awesome on PC. N64 was indeed the best console port.
Quake 2 introduced a solid story and has an insane modding community and options.
The best port of this one is bundled with the storied sequel on Xbox 360, Quake 4.
Quake 3 is simply great on any platform and now can be streamed right from iD software as Quake Live.
Quake 4 looks and plays great on either PC or Xbox 360
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is structured like Warhawk in gameplay. Available on PC, PS3 and 360.

Great breakdown!  I'm going to save this response.  Thank you for the details brunauss

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 06:47:50 pm »
Wow... I'm not even gonna try after that brunauss.  Haha good stuff.

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 10:36:07 pm »
I've actually always preferred the Quake series, the first one on PC is the best, but if you want a console port get the N64 version because it feels the most like the PC version. I too really don't like the N64 controller but if I remember correctly the controls are customizable. I don't recommend the Saturn version at all, I mean its neat that they were able to pull it off on the Saturn but it runs on a different engine and doesn't have as good of a frame rate as the N64 version.
While you're at it also pick up Doom 64, that game is so awesome. A buddy of mine and I recently played through it and it's really is a lot better than I remember, the music alone is fantastic.

brunauss

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 02:55:26 pm »

Thanx, did it all on a andoid tablet at that. I did leave out the most recent Unreal Tournament III, because it didn't bring anything new to the table aside from upgraded engine and brilliant graphics.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 05:49:20 pm »

90snostalga

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 05:50:22 pm »

Thanx, did it all on a andoid tablet at that. I did leave out the most recent Unreal Tournament III, because it didn't bring anything new to the table aside from upgraded engine and brilliant graphics.

lol  i do all my stuff on a laptop lol.  i don't have a smart phone  ;)

brunauss

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 07:02:30 pm »

No smartphone here either. Was forced onto tablet when internet computer died months ago. Wasn't about to try the new Windows and currently getting rest of household switched to Macs running Ubuntu 12 LTS.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

90snostalga

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 08:46:40 pm »

No smartphone here either. Was forced onto tablet when internet computer died months ago. Wasn't about to try the new Windows and currently getting rest of household switched to Macs running Ubuntu 12 LTS.

Ahh  sounds good.  My basic phone works miracles :)  Do you do gaming on your computer?

brunauss

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 12:52:36 am »
Done gaming on everything but Ouya and Onlive.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 01:08:14 am »
Done gaming on everything but Ouya and Onlive.

Ok, but why announce this on the Unreal and Quake thread?  ???