Author Topic: What Was the Last Good Band/Singer You Discovered?  (Read 1920 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

What Was the Last Good Band/Singer You Discovered?
« on: October 24, 2013, 08:38:47 pm »
Share your latest musical discovery that you think should be shared with the world right here.

I don't know about you, but I think it's awesome when I discover a new band I fall in love with. And if it's a relatively unknown band, then I like to share it with others. I'd also like to see what you guys are into and if it'll lead to something good for me as well.  ;D

I think most of you know that I'm a big metal-head. So it won't come as any surprise that my pick is a metal band:

Fantastic metal band with that sounds a lot like In Flames with some Pantera and Killswitch Engage influence mixed in there. I recently picked up their album "Mind Tricks" and I can't stop listening to it. The entire album is actually up on YouTube:

My absolute favorite song by them right now, is on the same album, it's called "A Taste of Collapse"

If you're into In Flames, Scar Symmetry, All That Remains, or Killswitch Engage; then check these guys out.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:57:04 pm by burningdoom »

soera

Re: What Was the Last Good Band/Singer You Discovered?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 08:47:27 pm »
Mine is not as hidden as it used to be.

Back in 2000, there was this new wild sounding voice that totally caught my attention and I immediately became a fan. The man with that voice was David Draiman. Not too long after, Disturbed became pretty popular and had dozens of top radio hits and 6 full length CDs. Now he heads up another band called Device but its that undeniable voice that is only his.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 08:58:35 pm »
Disturbed is a good band. And a unique metal band. It's not often you see unique metal bands actually hit it as big as Disturbed has. The only album I don't have by them is the first one, which I used to have and it mysteriously disappeared.

soera

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 09:28:00 pm »
I have an extra of their first if you want it. I bought it the day it was released and played the shit out of it. Then they came out with the 10th anniversary edition which is that one with a few extra songs so I had to buy it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 09:48:01 pm »
Thanks for the offer. It's easy enough to come across. You don't have to spend the shipping or packaging on it.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 09:56:22 pm »
I was actually going to say Device.   

sin2beta

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 10:40:16 pm »
Japandroids

UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

haloofthesun

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 10:59:44 pm »
The Dear Hunter, and although there's no one good song that is representative of them, I'll just post this one:

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 11:00:18 pm »
Devil's train- randomly followed me on twitter one day, then I found out the singer is R.D. Liapakis from one of my favorite bands Mystic Prophecy.

Also Giulia Stefani (from a band called Ravenscry) in all honesty is probably my favorite Female Vocalist and I found out about the band from looking up a certain Evil Masquerade song not long ago

pacpix

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 11:10:52 pm »
Recently discovered the band diSEMBOWELMENT. They only released one album, but recently reformed as Inverloch.  I usually prefer a more comprehensible Death Metal vocal sound, but the dark Doom metal atmosphere fits these vocals perfectly.

Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

scott

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 08:43:47 am »
Back in High School when Napster was huge I was searching up Metal (was a huge metal head in HS) and came across In Flames. So I downloaded a couple songs, Coerced Coexistence, Embody the Invisible, Pinball Map and Bullet Ride.  And I instantly fell in love with that band. I only have 2 of their albums, but eventually I want to pick up the rest of them.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

blipcs76

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 10:36:19 am »
While I'd say metal is my favorite genre, I discovered Pretty Lights about a year ago.  Fantastic electronic music infused with an almost soul sound (lots of well-done sampling) to it.  Some of his stuff gets a little too close to dubstep for my taste, but his best stuff is far more unique.

Pretty Lights - Finally Moving

A few years ago, I stumbled across this video from Bastian because *bewbs*, but fell in love with the electrofunk style.  Turns out it's a whole genre I really enjoy.  Similar groups in this style are Chromeo & Knobsticker.

Bastian - You've Got My Love

htimreimer

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 04:06:55 am »
my taste in music is vary mixed, if it sounds good to my ears, i will listen to it but here is few

odetta, all i have to say is a quote from  bob dylan "the first thing that turned me on to folk singing was odetta. i heard a record of hers in a record store, back when you could listen to records right there in the store. right then and there, I went out and traded my electric guitar and amplifier for an acoustical guitar, a flat-top gibson. ... that album was just something vital and personal. i learned all the songs on that record."

the white buffalo, i love country music and i love this guys voice   

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 10:26:00 am »
alt J