Author Topic: Who Is Your Favorite First-Party Game Company?  (Read 2463 times)

insektmute

Re: Who Is Your Favorite First-Party Game Company?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 11:13:09 pm »
Would you really include Platinum Games stuff in your list, sin? They had a multi-game contract with Sega, sure, but they're still really more of a third-party, given their largely free reign to release games with whomever they choose. I'm pretty sure they've maintained ownership of all their IP, too.

Edit: NVM, forgot Sega was licensing Bayonetta out to Nintendo. That whole situation is still kind of a o.O

sin2beta

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 11:17:58 pm »
Would you really include Platinum Games stuff in your list, sin? They had a multi-game contract with Sega, sure, but they're still really more of a third-party, given their largely free reign to release games with whomever they choose. I'm pretty sure they've maintained ownership of all their IP, too.

Edit: NVM, forgot Sega was licensing Bayonetta out to Nintendo. That whole situation is still kind of a o.O

Most of Platinum I wouldn't right off. Bayonetta is a weird example as it does seem to be partially owned by Sega. Much like Westone and Wonder Boy. I thought about it and would have to say yes. Yes I would. It's more second party than third party at the time. Even without a console. I don't know it's weird. They very much seemed SEGA owned to me. They were more than just Sega hiring Gearbox for several games.

Now first party only. They have to go as well as Wonder Boy. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:20:18 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 11:22:52 pm »
These are the IPs I can think of off the top of my head. I dare to say SEGA has the most IPs of any company.

I think Nintendo can give Sega run for it's money:

-Brain Age
-Donkey Kong
-Dr. Mario
-Duck Hunt
-Eternal Darkness
-Excitebike
-F-Zero
-Golden Sun
-Ice Climbers
-Kid Icarus
-Kirby
-Metroid
-Mario
-Mario Kart
-Mario Party
-Nintendo Dogs/Cats (not something I'd play, but it's there)
-Paper Mario/Super Mario RPG
-Pilotwings
-Pokemon
-Punch-Out
-Rad Racer
-Smash Bros.
-Star Fox
-Tetris
-Wario
-Wave Race
-Wii Sports/Wii Play
-Wrecking Crew
-Yoshi (he does have a series of solo games separate from Mario)
-Zelda
-And various Nintendo sports titles over the years (some with "Mario" in the name, others without)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:24:37 pm by burningdoom »

sin2beta

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 11:32:40 pm »
These are the IPs I can think of off the top of my head. I dare to say SEGA has the most IPs of any company.

Nintendo has a fair amount. But I will see your list and double it (all not on the original list)

Hang On
Space Harrier
After Burner
Outrun
Otogi
Gun Valkrie
Jet Set Radio
Puyo Puyo
Bug
Columns
Condemned
Fantasy Zone
Magic Knight Rayearth
Monaco GP
Nights
2K sports Series
Rent a Hero
Sakura Wars
Samba De Amigo
Thunder Blade
Altered Beast
Total War
Vectorman
Zaxxon

And the nail in the coffin... Football Manager  ???

Oh and Trouble Shooter. Why do I always forgot the goodness that is Trouble Shooter.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 11:39:58 pm »
Bungie is second party as well. Mech Assault I'm not sure on. I'd have to look it up. But Flight Simulator was the first party I referred to on PC. Sony might have had Everquest as first party PC. But is there first party PC? But obviously the spirit of the question is first and second party games...

I will put my honest answer down as SEGA. Let me count the reasons.

Star Jacker (favorite early 80s game)
Turbo
Wonder Boy
Alex Kidd
Phantasy Star
Flicky
Sonic
Toe Jam and Earl
Golden Axe
Streets of Rage
E Swat
Shinobi
Ristar
Comix Zone
Ecco
Eternal Champions
Shining Force
Gunstar Heroes
tempo
Panzer Dragoon
Guardian Heroes
Burning Rangers
Clockwork Knight
House of the Dead
Virtua Cop
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Racing/Daytona USA
Shenmue
Chu Chu Rocket
Dynamite Cop
Space Channel 5
Seaman
Skies of Arcadia
Crazy Taxi
Super Monkey Ball
Billy Hatcher
Yakuza
Valkyria Chronicles
Anarchy Reigns
Ghost Squad
Mad World
Bayonetta

FANBOY!

Sorry that was some of that left over early '90s console wars.
But seriously, Nintendo will always be better.  ;)

sin2beta

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 11:51:18 pm »
LOL. I am a total fanboy for SEGA. Hell, I own Alpha Protocol and Stormrise. And I'm not opposed to buying those crappy Captain America and Iron Man games. That's a fanboy.  ;D

But I do love Nintendo. SEGA has the numbers. But honestly, Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario are a force to deal with. They cancel pretty much anything out by quality and numbers except maybe Sonic and Phantasy Star. Most of the other great SEGA IPs had 2 games max. This is both good and bad. But seriously, Zelda. Damn good stuff.

Plus, even though it is not even second party... Mega Man is all Nintendo. That says something too!

90snostalga

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 11:53:09 pm »
LOL. I am a total fanboy for SEGA. Hell, I own Alpha Protocol and Stormrise. And I'm not opposed to buying those crappy Captain America and Iron Man games. That's a fanboy.  ;D

But I do love Nintendo. SEGA has the numbers. But honestly, Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario are a force to deal with. They cancel pretty much anything out by quality and numbers except maybe Sonic and Phantasy Star. Most of the other great SEGA IPs had 2 games max. This is both good and bad. But seriously, Zelda. Damn good stuff.

Plus, even though it is not even second party... Mega Man is all Nintendo. That says something too!

Speaking of your love for SEGA, where is episode 4 of Sega sg-awesome?????  You're slacking Beta  ;D

sin2beta

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 12:06:20 am »

Speaking of your love for SEGA, where is episode 4 of Sega sg-awesome?????  You're slacking Beta  ;D

It's pretty much done actually. But I have been slacking.  :-[ I recently picked up a few more subscribers  ;D and feel bad not getting it out. Work stuff took over for 2 weeks. Then, I picked up a video camera.  ;D ;D So, more in depth videos will be coming. But I got sidetracked with toying with the video camera.

90snostalga

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 12:13:13 am »

It's pretty much done actually. But I have been slacking.  :-[ I recently picked up a few more subscribers  ;D and feel bad not getting it out. Work stuff took over for 2 weeks. Then, I picked up a video camera.  ;D ;D So, more in depth videos will be coming. But I got sidetracked with toying with the video camera.

Cool ;)  Congrats on your video camera!  Speaking of subscribers, I actually don't have a youtube account which is why I haven't subscribed.  I guess I don't youtube too much to create one but I do watch them all and more than once so hopefully the views help you out.  If I create one, I'll certainly subscribe

jobocan

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 08:28:13 am »

-Brain Age
-Donkey Kong
-Dr. Mario
-Duck Hunt
-Eternal Darkness
-Excitebike
-F-Zero
-Golden Sun
-Ice Climbers
-Kid Icarus
-Kirby
-Metroid
-Mario
-Mario Kart
-Mario Party
-Pilotwings
-Pokemon
-Punch-Out
-Rad Racer
-Smash Bros.
-Star Fox
-Tetris
-Wario
-Wave Race
-Wii Sports/Wii Play
-Wrecking Crew
-Zelda
-And various Nintendo sports titles over the years (some with "Mario" in the name, others without)

You can probably triple that list with so many old forgotten series they have, like Famicom Tantei Club, or newer series people forget like Dillon's Rolling Western. Nintendo has a LOT of stuff.

I don't think I have to say who my favorite 1st party is, I've always loved Nintendo's games. Other than a few series that I can't stand (namely Animal Crossing), a lot of their games are really good. Even some of their less good games (like the NSMB series) are still pretty good. I did enjoy some of Sega's tenure as a 1st party. Everyone else is a bit meh on that side of things, they have to rely on buying/paying other companies to make games for them.

haloofthesun

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 02:48:13 pm »

-Brain Age
-Donkey Kong
-Dr. Mario
-Duck Hunt
-Eternal Darkness
-Excitebike
-F-Zero
-Golden Sun
-Ice Climbers
-Kid Icarus
-Kirby
-Metroid
-Mario
-Mario Kart
-Mario Party
-Pilotwings
-Pokemon
-Punch-Out
-Rad Racer
-Smash Bros.
-Star Fox
-Tetris
-Wario
-Wave Race
-Wii Sports/Wii Play
-Wrecking Crew
-Zelda

You can probably triple that list with so many old forgotten series they have, like Famicom Tantei Club, or newer series people forget like Dillon's Rolling Western. Nintendo has a LOT of stuff.

I don't think I have to say who my favorite 1st party is, I've always loved Nintendo's games. Other than a few series that I can't stand (namely Animal Crossing), a lot of their games are really good. Even some of their less good games (like the NSMB series) are still pretty good. I did enjoy some of Sega's tenure as a 1st party. Everyone else is a bit meh on that side of things, they have to rely on buying/paying other companies to make games for them.

Let's not forget Startropics, either!

I would say Nintendo makes my favorite first-party games. Sony would be a distant second, or maybe Sega. They both have a wide variety to choose from (surprisingly Sony does have a lot of IPs) but they're rather hit-or-miss for me. Meanwhile Nintendo has a huge amount of IPs (especially one-offs) while still maintaining a very high quality for the majority of them. *coughPaperMarioStickerStarcough*

I've never played any Neo Geo games, and fighting games generally aren't my thing. the only other one I can comment on is Microsoft, and... "lol" is about all I can say there. I love Alan Wake, that's about it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 07:59:52 pm »
I've never played any Neo Geo games, and fighting games generally aren't my thing. the only other one I can comment on is Microsoft, and... "lol" is about all I can say there. I love Alan Wake, that's about it.

Neo Geo definitely makes a lot of fighting games, and they're good at it. But it's sad that most people only know them for that (which is SNK's own fault, really, since the fighting games are what they promote the most). Because they have a lot of fan-freaking-tastic non-fighting games. I wish they'd pursue those series more. They really have a knack for shoot-em ups, too. Vanguard in particular was way ahead of it's time.

-Crystalis (the game most deserving of a sequel, that never received one)
-Guerilla War
-King of the Monsters
-Ikari Warriors
-Last Resort
-Magician Lord
-Prehistoric Isle
-Metal Slug (which really is the only thing SNK supports as much as their fighting games)
-Sengoku
-Shock Troopers
-Time Soldiers
-Top Hunter
-Vanguard
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:33:50 pm by burningdoom »

haloofthesun

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 11:23:21 pm »
Huh, I never knew they did Crystalis. That's one of my favorites. Guerilla War, too! That's Ikari Warriors done right :P