Author Topic: Reproduction carts  (Read 7213 times)

insektmute

Re: Reproduction carts
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 06:06:59 pm »
What teck said. I've also found that despite assurances of people putting things into special categories, keeping things clean in the db, and so on, most repros appear like so:

http://vgcollect.com/item/49106

If you click through, you'll see that it's an unofficial release, but there's absolutely no info to quantify what that entails, where it comes from, whether it's from a repro group, or some kid in his basement. By allowing any of them, we should technically be allowing those one-off homebrew creations too, even though they don't really 'exist' in any marketplace sense of the word.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 09:46:53 pm »
We'll if you don't include Repro carts and home brews, imp leaving the site.

Wait, it doesn't really matter. I don't own any anyway. Whatever you guys think is best I'm cool with.

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 02:37:13 am »
What teck said. I've also found that despite assurances of people putting things into special categories, keeping things clean in the db, and so on, most repros appear like so:

http://vgcollect.com/item/49106

If you click through, you'll see that it's an unofficial release, but there's absolutely no info to quantify what that entails, where it comes from, whether it's from a repro group, or some kid in his basement. By allowing any of them, we should technically be allowing those one-off homebrew creations too, even though they don't really 'exist' in any marketplace sense of the word.

Yeah....  Just so much maintenance involved....  Ack, to say the least, I do not envy whoever moderates that shit....

thomascozine

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 02:42:24 am »
I have both a NWC 1990 and a Mother 1 reproduction carts. While I place them on the same shelf as my official releases and unlicensed games I don't really feel they should be included, in an official capacity, on the site. But, I can see a the possibility with them being listed in a separate repo list.

soera

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 09:51:12 am »
I think reproductions should be included as long as its not just a 1off hack of something. To me, my definition of a repro is a game that is not normally available in the area its being reproduced for and its then translated and put on a cart/disk and made for sale in some sort or fashion whether it be a limited number of release or available on a repro website. Examples include Mother for the NES, DQ IV and V for the SNES. I have a few of my own. DQ Monsters Caravan hearts for the GBA and Ys IV on the SNES.

What I dont think should be on here are hacks of games that arent available unless you just download the shit from the internet or something. If you have the only copy of Super Dipshit bros, well outstanding for you but its not really something that needs to waste a spot in the database. A pirated game can be considered one of these cause there are so many different variations that it would take 100s of different options to cover every scenario. Some of those pirate carts have over a thousand games on them and almost none of them are the same on each cart.

sin2beta

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 05:40:14 pm »
My problem with the Repro argument is that (in most cases) everything can be repro'd. If the database is complete and includes all reproductions for each region, we essentially get several worldwide release database. Sure some games require special chips (NES Sunsoft games). But if you have a programmable IC, you can repro any game.

The only reason I see repros wanting to be listed is to list those acclaimed games that routinely get repro'd. The games like Mother, Golden Axe 3, Monster World 4, etc. The only reason these repro games would be listed on the database as opposed to others is due to popularity at the time.

My feeling is, if I have a repro of Monster World 4, I'm going to list the JP Monster World 4. The repro is the ROM of JP Monster World 4 dumped on another cartridge with a fan translation. I would be hesitant to say the repro cart has any right to be separately listed an an NA region. Does it have a region?

If someone has a repro, let them list it under it's original release. Seriously, it is easy to make your own repros with the right equipment. It is almost literally the same as burning a game.

This is wicked cool, but does not warrant a new spot on the database. Especially if it is just a region issue. Otherwise I want my homemade repro of Super Mario 2 (Japanese Lost levels) added. I burned it to a chip myself. Hell, I even printed out a nice label.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 07:49:58 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 07:33:39 pm »
So if I get a repro copy of SMB 2 Japan, I should just list it as the Japan release? 

sin2beta

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 07:47:33 pm »
So if I get a repro copy of SMB 2 Japan, I should just list it as the Japan release?

That's what I would personally do.

foxhack

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2013, 07:57:39 pm »

Are you people trying to give me an aneurysm or something?

thomascozine

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2013, 08:18:31 pm »
I would be hesitant to say the repro cart has any right to be separately listed an an NA region. Does it have a region?
I say, whatever region the repro is deigned to work on is the region is should be listed as. That is, in a repro category.

If someone has a repro, let them list it under it's original release.
My issue with this is since it's been so modified it isn't really its original release anymore. I mean, my Mother 1 repro looks nothing like the Japanese release. It also, wouldn't work on a Famicom without an adapter. It's a different game, and I feel it should be treated as such.

sin2beta

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 08:55:26 pm »

Are you people trying to give me an aneurysm or something?

LOL. What I mean by that is one should not make another entry. Let's say I buy a repro copy of Mother. I would just search for Mother and add the already listed famicom version to my collection. This way I don't jack up the database. I would know by looking at my collection that when I have Mother (famicom) in my collection I really have Mother (repro).

So, far I haven't done this. But I do plan on buying the repro of Monster World 4. I'm not adding an entry to the database. I will just add the Japanese version to my collection. I will know the difference looking at my collection.

Now if you are sharing your list with others or buying multiple versions, that won't work.

But I have to say that my favorite option is to have a separate Repro section. I just want Repro versions of Monster World 4 out of the Genesis list. It's not a genesis game. It is a Mega Drive game. Burning a ROM does not make it a Genesis release.

foxhack

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2013, 09:03:46 pm »
But I have to say that my favorite option is to have a separate Repro section. I just want Repro versions of Monster World 4 out of the Genesis list. It's not a genesis game. It is a Mega Drive game. Burning a ROM does not make it a Genesis release.
I thought the only available repros of that were of the translated version.

sin2beta

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2013, 09:12:06 pm »
I thought the only available repros of that were of the translated version.

But does a fan translation make it a North American Genesis release?

thomascozine

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 09:17:32 pm »
LOL. What I mean by that is one should not make another entry. Let's say I buy a repro copy of Mother. I would just search for Mother and add the already listed famicom version to my collection. This way I don't jack up the database. I would know by looking at my collection that when I have Mother (famicom) in my collection I really have Mother (repro).
But like I said, your Mother repro wouldn't work on a Famicom. In every sense of the phrase; it's the same, but different. It's not an official release, but it's also not a Famicom game anymore. It's a NES/Famicom repro. A whole new category.

This is exactly what should be done. And I agree, a burned Mega Drive ROM does not equal a Genesis game. Which is why, if demand is high enough to justify, a separate"repro" category should be made.

sin2beta

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2013, 09:54:22 pm »
But like I said, your Mother repro wouldn't work on a Famicom. In every sense of the phrase; it's the same, but different. It's not an official release, but it's also not a Famicom game anymore. It's a NES/Famicom repro. A whole new category.

This is exactly what should be done. And I agree, a burned Mega Drive ROM does not equal a Genesis game. Which is why, if demand is high enough to justify, a separate"repro" category should be made.

I would to agree.