Author Topic: Reproduction carts  (Read 7215 times)

teck

PRO Supporter

Re: Reproduction carts
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2013, 11:45:41 pm »
I think reproductions should be included as long as its not just a 1off hack of something. To me, my definition of a repro is a game that is not normally available in the area its being reproduced for and its then translated and put on a cart/disk and made for sale in some sort or fashion whether it be a limited number of release or available on a repro website. Examples include Mother for the NES, DQ IV and V for the SNES. I have a few of my own. DQ Monsters Caravan hearts for the GBA and Ys IV on the SNES.

What I dont think should be on here are hacks of games that arent available unless you just download the shit from the internet or something. If you have the only copy of Super Dipshit bros, well outstanding for you but its not really something that needs to waste a spot in the database. A pirated game can be considered one of these cause there are so many different variations that it would take 100s of different options to cover every scenario. Some of those pirate carts have over a thousand games on them and almost none of them are the same on each cart.

But the issue is it is TOO easy to make ANYTHING and just sell a bunch of copies....  ANYTHING you can download on the internet could end up a repro....  I made some english verisions of my favorite Japanese GBA games several years back (Love Hina got me started) and programed them over shitty cheap GBA carts and printed a sticker and bam!  Easy repro....  This was something I did in my spare time on a whim....  Who's to stop me from making a bunch more copies and putting them up on ebay~?  All of a sudden I have met all of the qualifications you listed with barely any effort....

My problem with the Repro argument is that (in most cases) everything can be repro'd. If the database is complete and includes all reproductions for each region, we essentially get several worldwide release database. Sure some games require special chips (NES Sunsoft games). But if you have a programmable IC, you can repro any game.

The only reason I see repros wanting to be listed is to list those acclaimed games that routinely get repro'd. The games like Mother, Golden Axe 3, Monster World 4, etc. The only reason these repro games would be listed on the database as opposed to others is due to popularity at the time.

My feeling is, if I have a repro of Monster World 4, I'm going to list the JP Monster World 4. The repro is the ROM of JP Monster World 4 dumped on another cartridge with a fan translation. I would be hesitant to say the repro cart has any right to be separately listed an an NA region. Does it have a region?

If someone has a repro, let them list it under it's original release. Seriously, it is easy to make your own repros with the right equipment. It is almost literally the same as burning a game.

This is wicked cool, but does not warrant a new spot on the database. Especially if it is just a region issue. Otherwise I want my homemade repro of Super Mario 2 (Japanese Lost levels) added. I burned it to a chip myself. Hell, I even printed out a nice label.

I'm relieved someone views this in a similar way that I do....  I'm tempted to make a quick "Adventures of Poopface Guy" game or something and put it on ebay and list it here to make a point, lol....

sin2beta

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2013, 12:27:32 am »
My problem with the Repro argument is that (in most cases) everything can be repro'd. If the database is complete and includes all reproductions for each region, we essentially get several worldwide release database. Sure some games require special chips (NES Sunsoft games). But if you have a programmable IC, you can repro any game.

The only reason I see repros wanting to be listed is to list those acclaimed games that routinely get repro'd. The games like Mother, Golden Axe 3, Monster World 4, etc. The only reason these repro games would be listed on the database as opposed to others is due to popularity at the time.

My feeling is, if I have a repro of Monster World 4, I'm going to list the JP Monster World 4. The repro is the ROM of JP Monster World 4 dumped on another cartridge with a fan translation. I would be hesitant to say the repro cart has any right to be separately listed an an NA region. Does it have a region?

If someone has a repro, let them list it under it's original release. Seriously, it is easy to make your own repros with the right equipment. It is almost literally the same as burning a game.

This is wicked cool, but does not warrant a new spot on the database. Especially if it is just a region issue. Otherwise I want my homemade repro of Super Mario 2 (Japanese Lost levels) added. I burned it to a chip myself. Hell, I even printed out a nice label.

I'm relieved someone views this in a similar way that I do....  I'm tempted to make a quick "Adventures of Poopface Guy" game or something and put it on ebay and list it here to make a point, lol....

I think there is a certain level of mysticism people see when dealing with cart games. I think that is a large part of the argument. Notice we aren't talking about reproduction Sega CD. This is because everyone has a cd burner. Not everyone has the equipment to reprogram a cart. But it is the same thing as burning a CD. Just a different format.

If I burnt a whole bunch of copies of Sega CD's Night Striker, removed the region, put it in a nice package made from cover project images, put a nice laser engraving on the CD, and sold them, I imagine most people would call me a thief. But with carts it's different. I don't get it. If burnt and sold Sega CD games can't make the cut. Why do burnt and sold NES games make the cut? Believe me it is not about translation. Where is that Golden Axe 3 translation? Some games are just in English. But I do understand that people do like to list some of them. I would admit that I would like to have Golden Axe 3 right next to Golden Axe 1 and 2.... But at what cost.... (That last bit should be read in a very dramatic voice. Maybe some *dun dun dunnn* music)

Just because you pay someone money to do this for you doesn't make it part of the system's library.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:29:50 am by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 08:12:53 pm »
I think there is a certain level of mysticism people see when dealing with cart games. I think that is a large part of the argument. Notice we aren't talking about reproduction Sega CD. This is because everyone has a cd burner. Not everyone has the equipment to reprogram a cart. But it is the same thing as burning a CD. Just a different format.

If I burnt a whole bunch of copies of Sega CD's Night Striker, removed the region, put it in a nice package made from cover project images, put a nice laser engraving on the CD, and sold them, I imagine most people would call me a thief. But with carts it's different. I don't get it. If burnt and sold Sega CD games can't make the cut. Why do burnt and sold NES games make the cut? Believe me it is not about translation. Where is that Golden Axe 3 translation? Some games are just in English. But I do understand that people do like to list some of them. I would admit that I would like to have Golden Axe 3 right next to Golden Axe 1 and 2.... But at what cost.... (That last bit should be read in a very dramatic voice. Maybe some *dun dun dunnn* music)

Just because you pay someone money to do this for you doesn't make it part of the system's library.

Hilariously, I actually did have a subconscious looming disembodied voice thing going before I even read the follow up sentence....  Also the Sega CD comment is DEAD on....  I hadn't even considered it that far, but yes it is true....  I remember similar scenarios with the Dreamcast where a kid was trying to trade bootlegs and was literally laughed out of our trading cirlcle....

insektmute

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2013, 05:32:12 am »
As sin2beta mentioned, everyone has a CD burner...

http://vgcollect.com/item/35564