Author Topic: Vintage Computer Gaming  (Read 3747 times)

90snostalga

Vintage Computer Gaming
« on: November 07, 2013, 03:38:27 am »
Anyone have and still use a vintage Apple 2 pc, Commodore 64, etc?

Re: Vintage Computer Gaming
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 04:08:56 am »
I have an Amiga 500 set up about 6ft away from me :)

I also buy PC-98/X68000/MSX/PC-88 games as often as I can find them/afford them, but I play those using an emulator, or failing that I just buy them digitally off the excellent Project EGG :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:49:34 pm »
LOAD"MESSAGE",8,1

RUN

I used to, unfortunately I've burned through 3 C64s, 2 of them somewhat recently. I'm not paying for another one, with how crazy expensive they're getting lately.

Truthfully, though, between my Atari 2600, Sega Master System, NES, and DOS-Box on my PC; I'm really not gonna miss it all that much; anymore. There are a handful of games I get nostalgic for, though, that weren't released on those other systems: Swiss Family Robinson, Blue Max, and B.C.'s Quest for Tires were my favorite C64 games as a kid and they aren't available on any other format (that I know of).

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 03:18:53 pm »
I have a Coco 2, a Commodore VIC 20 and a 64.

I still sometimes play with them.

htimreimer

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 04:11:12 pm »
i have a win98 machine and i am planing to get something older

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 05:21:47 pm »
I don't have a vintage machine, but I mess around with old computer emulation a bit.

atariboy

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 05:45:21 pm »
I have a Commodore 64, Older PC with windows 98 and an Apple IIGS set up in one of my rooms. I use the the PC and Commodore 64 pretty often but not the Apple very much (Only have one game for it). I'm also have a computer in the garage that I will put Windows XP on for games that won't play on the windows 98 machine.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

90snostalga

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 06:45:16 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  That's pretty cool.  I want to get a set up with a Apple 2, Commodore 64, and new gaming pc and a laptop for older pc games that wont play on new windows.  Do you have to have a different monitor for each one, or can you use the same monitor for the Commodore and Apple 2??

90snostalga

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 06:46:05 pm »
I have a Commodore 64, Older PC with windows 98 and an Apple IIGS set up in one of my rooms. I use the the PC and Commodore 64 pretty often but not the Apple very much (Only have one game for it). I'm also have a computer in the garage that I will put Windows XP on for games that won't play on the windows 98 machine.

What are some great games for the Commodore 64, and what games do you play on the Commodore?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 07:01:10 pm »
What are some great games for the Commodore 64, and what games do you play on the Commodore?

My favorites growing up:

-The Amazing Spider-Man and Captain America in Dr. Doom's Revenge (Action)
-B.C.'s Quest For Tires (Platformer)
-Blue Max (Early Shoot-Em Up, Isometric View)
-The Gianna Sisters (complete Super Mario Bros. rip-off, but still fun)
-Jumpman (Platformer)
-Lode Runner (Platformer)
-The Swiss Family Robinson (Graphical Text-Adventure (think Shadow Tower)) - I spent soooo much time on this game as a kid. Probably my favorite C64 game, ever. But nowadays, I'm sure the experience would not be the same at all with online walkthroughs and all.

And of course all those arcade classics are present on the machine including Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Asteroids, etc.

soera

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 09:39:16 pm »
This is the one part of retro I cant get into is old computers. They are so archaic to me. I am actually using my old monitor right now cause my wide screen right now is having issues and its driving me crazy to even look at this thing and its only a couple years old.

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 10:11:33 pm »
I've toyed around with starting a Commodore collection. The Commodore 64 was my first game machine. But I look at the cost of games, and back out. Emulation makes a lot of sense to me. But I would be tempted to pick up a Commodore/Amiga collection if I found a lot at the right price.

Good games on Commodore are Hostage and Maniac Mansion (better on Amiga or Atari ST though). I have a lot of fond memories of Duck Tales for Commodore. That was my go to game as a little kid. I also died a lot on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That game was SUPER hard for a game that undoubtedly would be purchased for kids. But James Rolfe has talked about that subject enough.

You can also get all the old classic arcade games: Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Etc.

The Commodore had some damn good flight simulators too. F-14 Tomcat being my favorite.

Plus, you can get the classics that are not on consoles (at least well) such as Zork.

The Commodore 64 is classic. It is probably the NES of computing. The Amiga is amazing. And I mean that. Absolutely amazing.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 10:56:48 pm »
I've toyed around with starting a Commodore collection. The Commodore 64 was my first game machine. But I look at the cost of games, and back out. Emulation makes a lot of sense to me. But I would be tempted to pick up a Commodore/Amiga collection if I found a lot at the right price.

Good games on Commodore are Hostage and Maniac Mansion (better on Amiga or Atari ST though). I have a lot of fond memories of Duck Tales for Commodore. That was my go to game as a little kid. I also died a lot on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That game was SUPER hard for a game that undoubtedly would be purchased for kids. But James Rolfe has talked about that subject enough.

The Commodore had some damn good flight simulators too. F-14 Tomcat being my favorite.

Plus, you can get the classics that are not on consoles (at least well) such as Zork.

The Commodore 64 is classic. It is probably the NES of computing. The Amiga is amazing. And I mean that. Absolutely amazing.

Duck Tales was on the Commodore 64!?  Was it the same as NES version?  Do you know if the Apple 2 and Commodore can be hooked to the same monitor, or both have to use their model specific?

90snostalga

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 10:58:27 pm »
I found the Commodore 1541 drive at a thrift shop for 3 bucks I picked up but I am so mad because about 5 months ago, I found the commodore keyboard and everything but the drive, at a good will for 5, and I had no idea what it was then so I left it there :( so mad at my self.  I would have had the whole thing.  I have never seen any apple 2 components anywhere other than ebay of course

sin2beta

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 11:08:31 pm »

Duck Tales was on the Commodore 64!?  Was it the same as NES version?  Do you know if the Apple 2 and Commodore can be hooked to the same monitor, or both have to use their model specific?

No it was completely different. This one is for smaller kids. It's got a game similar to Barnstorming on Atari. A mountain climbing game. And a game where you just take pictures of animals. A few others. But it is probably only a game a little kid would enjoy for the most part.

I remember playing it with my dad. I would take the pictures and do the Mummy game. He would take the barnstorming and mountain climbing (the two non little kid games). Hell, the mix of game types might have purposefully been put there for playing with kids... who know.

Bottom line: different game.

UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c