Author Topic: Nintendo Famicom on way, disk system and in box game  (Read 1077 times)

90snostalga

Nintendo Famicom on way, disk system and in box game
« on: November 17, 2013, 07:32:37 am »
 :)  Got a Famicom on the way to me, and it's supposed to be here next week.  It is a little yellowed so I'm going to try to get a magic eraser and whiten it up. I think I got a good deal on it?  For 90.00, I got the console with all the plugs and stuff, the box, Styrofoam  and instructions; And it also came with 7 games, in which 3 are CIB.   Anyways,  a couple of questions.  I found out about this Famicom disk system that they had for the Famicom.  Any one know much about it?  What it does and is it worth it?  Any good disk games?   And my second question and I have googled this but I cannot find an answer.  Does anyone know if the Famicom when originally released in Japan, came with a cart game?  It seems like in the foam, there is a small slot on the side of the console that maybe could fit a game but the box does not show a game.  I remember the NES coming with games.  Thanks for any responses  :D

jobocan

Re: Nintendo Famicom on way, disk system and in box game
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:59:23 am »
Frankly I don't know a whole lot about the disk system. I do know the disk belt is likely to break, so that's something to look out for (it is repairable though).
For specific games there are a handful of cool ones, but some are already available in cartridge form for the NES so it's kinda useless to go for them (like Metroid, Kid Icarus, both Zeldas or Castlevania). The ones I know about that are good are Super Mario Bros 2 (AKA lost levels), Nazo no Murasame Jo, Biomiracle Bokutte Upa (exists in cartridge form but it's more expensive). You can probably find some more if you look around the interwebz :P

Congrats on your find!

90snostalga

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 05:17:43 pm »
Thanks  :)  Do you know if the Famicom originally included a game with the console?  Kind of like the NES included mario/duck hunt.  I can't any information on if the famicom system originally included a game cart.

sin2beta

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 06:04:45 pm »
Thanks  :)  Do you know if the Famicom originally included a game with the console?  Kind of like the NES included mario/duck hunt.  I can't any information on if the famicom system originally included a game cart.

It appears that rectangular box may have been taken up by something else. RF switch maybe? Were you talking about the beige box?

UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 09:06:43 am »

It appears that rectangular box may have been taken up by something else. RF switch maybe? Were you talking about the beige box?

I was thinking that small slot to the right of the console in the front could fit a Famicom cartridge but maybe not? 

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 11:47:50 pm »
I was thinking that small slot to the right of the console in the front could fit a Famicom cartridge but maybe not?

Looking at it, I suspect that is a spot to allow the box to crush a bit if needed. A lot of styrofoam would have pockets like that to allow pressure in shipping to not directly be transferred to the contents. But I could be wrong. It doesn't look like a spot for the game.

The famicom also launched with 3 games. Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, and Popeye (such variety!). I don't think any were pack ins. But I know nothing about the famicom.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 08:08:19 am »

Looking at it, I suspect that is a spot to allow the box to crush a bit if needed. A lot of styrofoam would have pockets like that to allow pressure in shipping to not directly be transferred to the contents. But I could be wrong. It doesn't look like a spot for the game.

The famicom also launched with 3 games. Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, and Popeye (such variety!). I don't think any were pack ins. But I know nothing about the famicom.

Thanks Beta.  Yea, the shipping issue makes perfect sense.  I was just making sure to get it complete.  I can't find nothing on google.