Author Topic: Atari 2600 games  (Read 3654 times)

90snostalga

Atari 2600 games
« on: November 18, 2013, 05:56:28 pm »
What are the best games to play on the Atari 2600?

pacpix

Re: Atari 2600 games
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 07:03:22 pm »
Here is the highly controversial top 120 Atari games

My personal favorites are:
Wizard of Wor
Space Cavern
Keystone Kapers
Yar's Revenge
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Seaweed Assault
And more, but all of mine are in that thread already.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:00:10 pm »
A lot of the more famous arcade ports (Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Frogger, Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, etc.) have better versions on just about any other console. You want to look at Atari 2600 exclusives, really.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 08:38:02 pm by burningdoom »

jobocan

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 08:25:36 pm »
Yar's Revenge

Yars' Revenge, actually. Yar's Revenge is the modern sequel that no one but me played :P

For multiplater you definitely want something like Combat, Warlords or Video Olympics (which is really just various versions of Pong). For single-player, Yars' Revenge, Pitfall, Berzerk, Jr. Pac-Man, Chopper Command and Adventure are well worth checking out. (Adventure is very odd though)

thecrypticodor

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 10:45:46 pm »
Dragonfire
Seaquest
Battlezone
Frostbite
Stargate (AKA Defender II goes by both names)
Stampede
Millipede (To a lesser extent Centipede)
Warlords (Killer multiplayer game that supports up to 4 players with 2 sets of paddles)
Berzerk
Joust
Missle Command
Jr and Mrs Pacman
Moon Patrol
Gravitar (My personal favorite)
Crystal Castles
H.E.R.O.
Moon Sweeper (My 2nd Favorite)
Moon Patrol
Phoenix
River Raid
River Raid II (note doesn't work on 6 switchers)

soera

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 11:37:42 pm »
I dont remember much from my 2600 days other than Dragster, Frostbite, Yars' Revenge, and the Imagic games being fun and that E.T. really was horrible as were the Swordquest series.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 11:42:17 pm »
I dont remember much from my 2600 days other than Dragster, Frostbite, Yars' Revenge, and the Imagic games being fun and that E.T. really was horrible as were the Swordquest series.

I had read somewhere than the "quest" games were part of this elaborate contest that they ended up never even following through with.

I'm not sure how those carts became so common if this is true.

pacpix

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 01:02:00 am »
The Swordquest series was going to be four competitions for Earthworld, Fireworld, Waterworld, and Airworld to win expensive items, including a tailsman, chalice, crown, and the sword from the series.  The first two competitions were finished, but nothing after that.  Waterworld could only be ordered from a magazine which make it one of the 2600's more rare games.  Some people solved Waterworld, but the competition to see who would win never happened and I think they received a small money prize instead.  Airworld was never released.

The winner of the Earthworld competition melted down the tailsman and only kept the small sword on it so he could pay for college.  The winner of the Fireworld competition still has the chalice in a bank safe.  The other items did exist at one time, but their location is unknown.

I find the history of the Swordquest series very interesting, but the games suck.  It was just a bunch of frustrating minigames and trying to find the right combination of items in each room.  I have no idea how someone would actually be able to beat the first two games without just searching through the comic book for answers.  I beat the first game with a walkthrough, but the second game's minigames were really annoying.  The third game seems decent though and easy enough where you could solve it without too much trouble.

90snostalga

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 08:00:22 am »
Here is the highly controversial top 120 Atari games

My personal favorites are:
Wizard of Wor
Space Cavern
Keystone Kapers
Yar's Revenge
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Seaweed Assault
And more, but all of mine are in that thread already.

Thanks.  The other topic seems very very very confusing to me although funny.  I'm going to stick with your top 120 list and thecrypticodor list on this post. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:19:57 am by 90snostalga »

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 08:00:52 am »
Oh what about the new Halo 2600 that was made?  Any good? 

And on the Atari 5200 and any other Atari system, have you guys played these and would recommend these systems or just stick to the more known 2600?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:20:43 am by 90snostalga »

90snostalga

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 08:01:59 am »
The Swordquest series was going to be four competitions for Earthworld, Fireworld, Waterworld, and Airworld to win expensive items, including a tailsman, chalice, crown, and the sword from the series.  The first two competitions were finished, but nothing after that.  Waterworld could only be ordered from a magazine which make it one of the 2600's more rare games.  Some people solved Waterworld, but the competition to see who would win never happened and I think they received a small money prize instead.  Airworld was never released.

The winner of the Earthworld competition melted down the tailsman and only kept the small sword on it so he could pay for college.  The winner of the Fireworld competition still has the chalice in a bank safe.  The other items did exist at one time, but their location is unknown.

I find the history of the Swordquest series very interesting, but the games suck.  It was just a bunch of frustrating minigames and trying to find the right combination of items in each room.  I have no idea how someone would actually be able to beat the first two games without just searching through the comic book for answers.  I beat the first game with a walkthrough, but the second game's minigames were really annoying.  The third game seems decent though and easy enough where you could solve it without too much trouble.

This entire documentary style history of this Swordquest game's makes me want to play it just to see  :)

pacpix

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 09:48:25 am »
This entire documentary style history of this Swordquest game's makes me want to play it just to see  :)
You can pick up the first two games for dirt cheap if you are interested, Waterworld is expensive though.  Make sure you get a copy with the comic book though.

Oh what about the new Halo 2600 that was made?  Any good? 

And on the Atari 5200 and any other Atari system, have you guys played these and would recommend these systems or just stick to the more known 2600?

I have played Halo 2600 on an emulator and it is fun, but I am not very familiar with the Halo franchise so it was not super interesting to me.  If your interested in other Atari systems get the 7800, you can play most 2600 and all 7800 games on the system.

Thanks.  The other topic seems very very very confusing to me although funny.  I'm going to stick with your top 120 list and thecrypticodor list on this post. 
The other topic was just taking turns making a list of the 120 best games for the system.  I'll post the full list here:
1. Joust
2. Missile Command
3. Adventure
4. Keystone Kapers
5. Defender
6. Wizard of Wor
7. Mario Bros.
8. Gyruss
9. Stampede
10. Yar's Revenge
11. Phoenix
12. Pitfall
13. Space Cavern
14. River Raid
15. Kaboom
16. Galaxian
17. River Raid II
18. Dig Dug
19. Haunted House
20. Frogger
21. Centipede
22. Pole Position
23. Outlaw
24. Spider-Man
25.  Q*Bert
26. Star Wars: The Arcade Game
27. Berzerk
28. Video Olympics
29. Midnight Magic
30. Demon Attack
31. Donkey Kong
32. Bowling
33. Boxing
34. Dragonfire
35. Chopper Command
36. Space Invaders
37. Kangaroo
38. Vanguard
39. Jr. Pac-Man
40. Halo 2600
41. Ms. Pac-Man
42. Breakout
43. Seaweed Assault
44. Pitfall II: The Lost Caverns
45. Jungle Hunt
46. Lock'N'Chase
47. Millipede
48. Laser Blast
49. Super Breakout
50. Mouse Trap
51. Masters of the Universe
52. Fantastic Voyage
53. Megamania
54. Warlords
55. Maze
56. Night Driver
57.Turmoil
58. Star Castles
59. Crystal Castles
60. Spy Hunter
61. Asteroids
62. Pac-Man 4K
63. Encounter At L-5
64. Solaris
65. Combat
66. H.E.R.O
67. Enduro
68. Crackpots
69. Stargate
70. Grand Prix
71. Chetiry
72. Gangster Alley
73. Kung-Fu Master
74. Freeway
75. Private Eye
76. Journey Escape
77. Smurfs
78. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
79. Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom
80. Atlantis
81. Congo Bongo
82. Kool-Aid Man
83. Montezuma's Revenge
84. Circus Atari
85. Coconuts
86. Cosmic Ark
87. Zaxxon
88. E.T.
89. Armor Ambush
90. Pengo
91. Air Sea Battle
92. Towering Inferno
93. Tapper
94. Video Pinball
95. Moon Patrol
96. Riddle of the Sphinx
97. Raiders of the Lost Ark
98. Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator
99. Miner 2049er
100. Lost Luggage
101. Worm War I
102. Fall Down
103. Surround
104. Solar Fox
105. Blueprint
106. Double Dragon
107. Super Challenge Baseball
108. Commando
109. Astroblast
110. Donkey Kong Jr.
111. Barnstorming
112. Boing!
113. Popeye
114. Strategy X
115. Q*Bert's Qubes
116. Tac Scan
117. Mr. Do's Castle
118. Secret Quest
119. Pressure Cooker
120. Burgertime
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:50:44 am by pacpix »

90snostalga

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 06:27:15 pm »

They got 15,000 dollar settlement checks for the cancelled contests.

90snostalga

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 10:24:36 pm »
Can the 2600 joystick be used with the 7800?  Looking at the vids of the 7800, I do not like that joystick :(

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 11:17:01 pm »
Can the 2600 joystick be used with the 7800?  Looking at the vids of the 7800, I do not like that joystick :(
If I remember correctly yes, hell you can use a Sega Genesis Controller if you want.(i'm just going off of what I think I remember from CGR)