Author Topic: Golden Axe Warrior  (Read 3286 times)

90snostalga

Golden Axe Warrior
« on: November 18, 2013, 01:45:33 pm »
Is Golden Axe Warrior for the Master System, basically the same issue as Sonic for the Master System USA with the sticker barcode on the case?  I see Warrior is more expensive then from Europe, but looks exactly the same and I don't want to pay more for it just because of that.  Sin2Beta, what you got.

soera

Re: Golden Axe Warrior
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 01:58:56 pm »
Sin2beta isnt the only Sega guy on here!

As far as the game goes, its exactly the same except for the barcode thing. The whole barcode situation with the 4 Master system games (the other two are Spider man and Strider) needs to get removed from the thought of everyone. Barcodes are simply a way for the store computer system to recognize what the item is and to gather its price for the register. They arent even the same across most stores themselves. If you buy a new game from Best buy and try to take it to Wal-Mart and return it for cash, chances are the system will not recognize that barcode. So does that mean that in order to collect US games, that we should have to go buy a copy from Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Gamestop, Amazon, etc just to have all the copies? I have been preaching against the stupid SMS barcode for months and it eventually led to me taking over the NTSC Master system list on Sega Age with updated qualifications.

If you were thinking about buying the game to play it, I wouldnt go the SMS route. Sonic's Genesis collection on the PS3 is $20 new on literally every shelf of game retailers now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic%27s_Ultimate_Genesis_Collection . Its a great game to play. I thoroughly enjoyed it more than Legend of Zelda itself.

90snostalga

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 05:20:50 pm »
Sin2beta isnt the only Sega guy on here!

As far as the game goes, its exactly the same except for the barcode thing. The whole barcode situation with the 4 Master system games (the other two are Spider man and Strider) needs to get removed from the thought of everyone. Barcodes are simply a way for the store computer system to recognize what the item is and to gather its price for the register. They arent even the same across most stores themselves. If you buy a new game from Best buy and try to take it to Wal-Mart and return it for cash, chances are the system will not recognize that barcode. So does that mean that in order to collect US games, that we should have to go buy a copy from Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Gamestop, Amazon, etc just to have all the copies? I have been preaching against the stupid SMS barcode for months and it eventually led to me taking over the NTSC Master system list on Sega Age with updated qualifications.

If you were thinking about buying the game to play it, I wouldnt go the SMS route. Sonic's Genesis collection on the PS3 is $20 new on literally every shelf of game retailers now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic%27s_Ultimate_Genesis_Collection . Its a great game to play. I thoroughly enjoyed it more than Legend of Zelda itself.

Sorry about that.  I just seem to reference anything Sega with Sin2beta due to his youtube page.  I apologize.  But thanks for the detailed information.  It's crazy that a bar code can make such a difference on price.  But I'm glad you gave that info., because I had no idea about the Spiderman and Strider games for the Master System.  That;s good to know.  It will make it easier for me.  Thanks Soera!

And per the Sega collection, I unfortunately do not have a PS3 system yet so I'll have to go the Master System route
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 05:22:21 pm by 90snostalga »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 05:24:01 pm »
And per the Sega collection, I unfortunately do not have a PS3 system yet so I'll have to go the Master System route

It's on 360 too, if that helps.

soera

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:10:40 pm »
The main thing is that it shouldnt make any difference in price ... its just a sticker stuck on there so that the stores can read what the item is. No one can prove when the sticker was placed on there, who placed it on there, who made the sticker, or anything. Its virtually the same thing as a price tag and that doesnt hold any water on value for anything else in the world.

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 08:47:21 pm »
I always consider the Master System to have two regions: Asia and everywhere else. If it isn't the tall skinny cart, you can pretty much consider it the same game. There are some things to nitpick with that. But that "two-region" thinking is very simple and helpful for myself. I started thinking of the regions that way thanks to Alan from Sega 8 Bit. And most SMS full set collectors seem to think of it that way, from what I've seen.

So, if it is a short rectangular cart and cheaper, pick it up. It's the same game.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 08:52:27 pm »
I always consider the Master System to have two regions: Asia and everywhere else. If it isn't the tall skinny cart, you can pretty much consider it the same game. There are some things to nitpick with that. But that "two-region" thinking is very simple and helpful for myself. I started thinking of the regions that way thanks to Alan from Sega 8 Bit. And most SMS full set collectors seem to think of it that way, from what I've seen.

So, if it is a short rectangular cart and cheaper, pick it up. It's the same game.

Is it always in English, when doing it this way? Wasn't the SMS very popular in many Spanish and French speaking countries, as well?

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 09:01:39 pm »

Is it always in English, when doing it this way? Wasn't the SMS very popular in many Spanish and French speaking countries, as well?

Good point. Thanks! I didn't think about that since Brazilian import prices only make sense on Brazil exclusives which are usually action games. But it does appear that Phantasy Star at least is a different language.

So, if it has text, go NA or UK. These are primarily what you'll find anyways. Brazilian games are crazy expensive. I suspect due to their import/export costs. Which is why the Master System was alive and well there until essentially the Dreamcast launch. Hell, TecToy still sells a Master System version (all built in games though).

soera

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 11:07:44 pm »

I agree with this as well. My master system collection is pretty straight and narrow. I dont collect cards and I dont do non white grid cases. Every card game has a cartridge version and every 3rd party game that has a pretty shiny cover (mostly Activision games) has a white grid version somewhere. On my checklist, it allows the same thing. Also manuals are manuals whether its the horizontal one or the vertical one. Power strike is another example of a variation. The mail in version has a blue-and-white case and matching manual where the store sold version has a color case with a different graphic and a matching manual. There are Sega of the 90's versions of almost 20 games, there are the blue labels, there are the 2 mega vs 4 mega carts. Basically, if you have the game in some form with a case and a manual that was included with some form of the game, you are good. And then there is the complete games. Ultima IV has a map and 2 guides, Miracle warriors has a map, Carmen Sandiego has an almanac, After Burner has a poster. These things are required for completeness (The after burner poster came with multiple games so its not totally required but since it matches the game, I keep it with mine). Im not sure how to consider the collector's edition type of games like the Donald duck thing but we havent had to deal with that yet.

soera

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 11:09:22 pm »

A lot of the non Asian games are released in their own language but most of them have English text. Sin2beta is right that a lot of the Brazilian ones however only have their language but they will still play on NTSC US systems.

sin2beta

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 11:32:33 pm »
Im not sure how to consider the collector's edition type of games like the Donald duck thing but we havent had to deal with that yet.

That's a crazy road to go down. There are things like the Michael Jackson Moonwalker "collector's" edition that Stu "NinjaBearHug" found. There seems to be only two known to still be complete. It came with a t-shirt or some crap like that.

Notice in his video how many games from his full set are from Australia. In fact, I think Australia is a key too in getting some of those games cheap.

soera

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 11:44:44 pm »
Yeah its silly stuff like that which makes it hard to determine what is complete with special editions and what not from the times before internet was easily accessible.

I have search AU stuff but the biggest issue there is the shipping costs usually offset the cheap price.  :-\

sin2beta

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 12:03:13 am »
Yeah its silly stuff like that which makes it hard to determine what is complete with special editions and what not from the times before internet was easily accessible.

I have search AU stuff but the biggest issue there is the shipping costs usually offset the cheap price.  :-\

I hear that. For the longest time on ebay, there has just been this Australian seller listing about 50 games one at a time. Same picture style. Insane shipping. It made searching through ebay less fun. Haven't seen him lately though. I'm mainly curious if the shipping would be that high if you didn't buy from someone on the international section. A lot of sellers (international especially) seem to make a bit of profit on shipping. The people who actually check with the postal service and get back to you have much better prices. These are about the only type of UK seller I will even start dealing with. Never ventured to the Aussie side though. They could be like Canada and just have crazy expensive postage.

soera