Author Topic: Virtual Boy:Misunderstood Creature or Vile Scum  (Read 2119 times)

starbronze21

Virtual Boy:Misunderstood Creature or Vile Scum
« on: November 20, 2013, 12:40:42 pm »
Hi all! How's everyone been? It's been a while since I've gotten on the forum and I wanted to post about an experience I had recently.

So I was walking around my lovely College campus, when I saw that some people have set up a table in front of the library. They were having a garage sale or something and I didn't even notice what else was there cause I saw THE RED AND BLACK BEAST! Lo and behold, these people had a Virtual Boy for sale. Visibly shaking, I asked how much it was and what it came with, it was $30 and included Mario Tennis, Tetroboxer, and Wario Land, along with the A/C Adapter. So I also immediately gave them the money and ran off with the box full of loot.

So the majority of people I hear talk about the Virtual Boy say they hated the darn thing and that it was a travesty. It causes headaches, it's RED, it has terrible games! Well I have played with it a bit and I expected I was going to despise this thing, but I was surprised. I actually found the 3D effect to be pretty cool! I have played it for hours and I have yet to have a headache as a result of this game machine and the games are pretty cool. So far I'm actually having a good time playing it. :)

So if you look past it's flaws, it's not half bad and I'm glad I bought it. :)

So how does everyone feel about the Virtual boy cause I know there's plenty of reasons people hated the thing?
I'm more of a hardware collector than a game collector. I collect consoles of all colors of the rainbow! Woo!

desocietas

Re: Virtual Boy:Misunderstood Creature or Vile Scum
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:55:03 pm »
I loved that thing when I was little (we borrowed it more times than I could count from our local Blockbuster).  I never got headaches, and I didn't mind the red at all.

If anything, the tripod was at the worst height ever - you had to do a lot of weird rigging and stacking of various things to get it at a height where you wouldn't be hunched over and dying of neck pain.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

starbronze21

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 12:59:11 pm »
Oh yeah. That's one issue I have it with it. I have to have a table to okay it. I tried playing it on the floor and it was uncomfy.
I'm more of a hardware collector than a game collector. I collect consoles of all colors of the rainbow! Woo!

soera

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 01:13:40 pm »
That is definitely the issue with that thing for me is the comfortability. I have heard of a strap that allows you to wear it but I havent seen one. Nice score anyhow. Btw, have you seen this? http://www.retrocollect.com/News/street-fighter-ii-hyper-fighting-unofficially-hits-the-virtual-boy.html

starbronze21

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 01:25:03 pm »
Oh wow. Playing Street Fighter on the Virtual Boy sounds like it would be awesome! Too bad I'm not Hardcore enough to hunt down a Flashboy, on top of the fact that I'm a broke college kid. Hehe, that's pretty cool though, I like that some people still develop things for the Virtual Boy. :)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 02:31:21 pm »
I don't hate it.  It's far from the best console out there, but it's fun.  I put a couple of books under it on the dining room table and that fit pretty well.  Now, I only played in 10 min runs; but it being uncomfortable was never an issue.  Mario Clash is a lot of fun. 

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 03:09:38 pm »
I don't like it myself, the 3D effect gives me a headache (as does the 3DS' 3D, and all other 3D) and the red-on-black is too stark anyway - there's a reason why that kind of display is reserved for Terminators XD

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 08:12:04 pm »
I was around when it came out, I clearly remember hating it with all my soul.

The thing left red after-images in your eyesight for a while, which was pretty annoying. And it would give you headaches from trying to concentrate so hard on the "3D" (I use the term loosely here) field. Any console that leaves after-images and give you headaches is an absolute failure.

And having under 20 games in your entire library, really doesn't help either.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 08:29:44 pm »
Any console that leaves after-images and give you headaches is an absolute failure.

I played a TON of COD 4 when it first came out. I'm not shitting you when I say I saw crosshairs when I closed my eyes in bed some nights.

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 08:40:38 pm »
Any console that leaves after-images and give you headaches is an absolute failure.

I played a TON of COD 4 when it first came out. I'm not shitting you when I say I saw crosshairs when I closed my eyes in bed some nights.

I saw the images of Mario burned in my eyes when I first got my NES. I'd close my eyes and see the score and such. Good game. Good system.

I loved the virtual boy. Still do. I picked up my old one when stores were clearing them out for $30 dollars after a few months. The virtual boy and the 32X are both so misunderstood. As I finish filling out my Sega and Xbox collection, I will probably pick up random systems and collect games for them. Just one system at a time until I complete what I want for its library. The virtual boy is high on that list.

That is definitely the issue with that thing for me is the comfortability. I have heard of a strap that allows you to wear it but I havent seen one. Nice score anyhow. Btw, have you seen this? http://www.retrocollect.com/News/street-fighter-ii-hyper-fighting-unofficially-hits-the-virtual-boy.html

You mean this (As far as I know only homemade or retro scene straps exist. And they don't work well. Use a table):
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 09:21:02 pm »

I saw the images of Mario burned in my eyes when I first got my NES. I'd close my eyes and see the score and such. Good game. Good system.

I loved the virtual boy. Still do. I picked up my old one when stores were clearing them out for $30 dollars after a few months. The virtual boy and the 32X are both so misunderstood. As I finish filling out my Sega and Xbox collection, I will probably pick up random systems and collect games for them. Just one system at a time until I complete what I want for its library. The virtual boy is high on that list.

You mean this (As far as I know only homemade or retro scene straps exist. And they don't work well. Use a table):

I don't have a big problem with the 32X, like I do the Virtual Boy. It doesn't leave red after-images and headaches after gameplay. It's game-library leaves a bit to be desired. But for how small it is, it has enough games that I'd pick it up if I came across it at a decent price.

The weird thing about it is that Nintendo knew this when they released it. Why else would they interrupt your game every 10-15 minutes with warnings to take a break from gameplay?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 10:07:59 pm »

I am surprise he's not banned from everywhere yet. but it's pretty damn funny

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 10:37:32 pm »
Wasn't he the one banned from PAX a few years back?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

sin2beta

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 10:46:00 pm »
Wasn't he the one banned from PAX a few years back?

Yeah, that's him. I saw him shatter his heel jumping off a balcony at SGC last year. The guy then played an entire show jumping around with a stage full of fans. He's crazy. But he is honestly a really nice guy. The actor nathan barnatt who plays that character is part of the Upright Citizen Brigade comedy team. Good comedy group. Used to have a television show years ago.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

soera

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 11:03:02 pm »
I wonder if he had to pay for any of those "accidents". And I cant believe the guy in the convertible saw him fall in the car and he just continued driving, lol.