Author Topic: N64 Trouble  (Read 1477 times)

N64 Trouble
« on: December 28, 2013, 03:59:29 pm »
Can a cartridge be so dirty it stops the console from working? I was at my friends house and he wanted me to plug in majoras mask and it stopped working, but the red light comes on. It just doesn't play?
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

pacpix

Re: N64 Trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 06:29:11 pm »
If it is just Majoras Mask that is not working clean the cartridge with some cleaning alcohol.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 10:42:53 pm »
If it is just Majoras Mask that is not working clean the cartridge with some cleaning alcohol.
I tied other games but it doesn't work.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:45:52 pm »
Can a cartridge be so dirty it stops the console from working? I was at my friends house and he wanted me to plug in majoras mask and it stopped working, but the red light comes on. It just doesn't play?

If some of that funk that is on the cart comes off on the pins of the system, sure it can make it not work. 

Get you an old t-shirt, a credit card, and some alcohol.  Put the t-shirt over the card, put some alcohol on it and stick in down in the N64.  Clean it out that way the best you can.  It may take a few times, but try to get the dirt out. Good luck.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 01:17:57 pm »

If some of that funk that is on the cart comes off on the pins of the system, sure it can make it not work. 

Get you an old t-shirt, a credit card, and some alcohol.  Put the t-shirt over the card, put some alcohol on it and stick in down in the N64.  Clean it out that way the best you can.  It may take a few times, but try to get the dirt out. Good luck.
thanks man
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 12:52:32 am »
The t-shirt idea works but I would actually suggest is to take it all apart and clean it that way

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 02:26:42 am »
The t-shirt idea works but I would actually suggest is to take it all apart and clean it that way

I was just assuming since he's asking this quest, he doesn't have the security bits to take it apart.

If you can, take it apart and clean it up nice. Cartridge systems will last a long time if you clean 'em up.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 03:07:50 am »

I was just assuming since he's asking this quest, he doesn't have the security bits to take it apart.

If you can, take it apart and clean it up nice. Cartridge systems will last a long time if you clean 'em up.
i have the bits, just that the guy selling it said it may be very dusty. I tried cleaning it lights up, but it wont  play the games.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 08:06:00 am »
Crack that dude open with a can of air in one hand and a toothbrush in the other.

ffxik

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 11:19:43 am »
The game cartridge slot isn't the only culprit on the N64.  The jumper pak contacts will also probably need a cleaning.  Try re-seating the pak and see what happens.