Author Topic: Top Picks of 2013  (Read 887 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Top Picks of 2013
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:46:55 pm »
It's the end of the year, and time to reflect on what 2013 brought us.

Here's my picks on the best of the year:

Movie of the Year: Man of Steel
This was a tough pick for me. Star Trek: Into Darkness was also damn good. But Man of Steel finally brought the big, powerful, destructive battles that always should have been in the Superman movies. And the Kryptonian sets were amazing looking.

T.V. Show of the Year: The Walking Dead
This is atough one. This year brought us some great T.V. Arrow, Walking Dead, Vikings, 80s the Decade That Made Us, Comic Book Men, Almost Human, and on and on. But the show I looked forward to the most each and ever week was still Walking Dead. The show is easily the best on T.V. and a monument to what a comic franchise taken seriously can be on T.V.

Album of the Year: Amon Amarth - Deceiver of the Gods
Unlike so many other metal bands that have been around for years, Amon Amarth is still at the top of their game. And this album may very well be among their best ever. Some insanely good guitar-driven tunes on this.

Video Game of the Year: Bionic Commando (Xbox 360, PS3)
I'm cheating. This wasn't released last year. I just played it for the first time last year. Such an underrated gem, and quite possibly one of the best games this generation. I'm pretty sure it didn't do so well for the simple fact that it was an old-school mentality game that had a high-learning curve and steep difficulty level. But once you get the controls down, the controls and movement is just divine.

Comic Book Story/Graphic Novel of the Year: Superior Spider-Man
Hands-down, the most exciting thing to happen this year in comics. Forever Evil has been far too drawn-out and not worth the wait each month. And Infinity was a far too convoluted for it's own good, mess of a story. Luckily Doc Ock saved us all! Possibly both the worst and best thing to happen to Spider-Man in decades.

What are your top picks of the year?

Re: Top Picks of 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 06:30:56 am »
Best Console Game of 2013:
Dragon's Crown

This game is pure fun, with a surprising amount of depth and a bold art style.

Best Handheld Game of 2013:
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

For me, the Zelda series had been ailing for a long time. The fun sense of adventure has been slowly drifting away from each successive game. This new Zelda managed to completely change that. Exploration and fun is back! I also appreciate the new graphic style they went with. More Zelda games like this please!

Best Game of 2014:
Dark Souls II

Because it will be  ;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:33:47 am by zenimus »

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 02:25:32 am »
Movie Of The Year: Elysium
Enjoyed Neil Blomkamp's work and excited for any news of a District 9 sequel.

Television Series Of The Year: The Walking Dead
Big fan of Glenn, Maggie, and Daryl.  To be honest, I didn't expect Daryl to have turned out the way he was portrayed in Season 4.

Album Of The Year: Pearl Jam: Lightning Bolt
My brother bought the CD for his collection and let me listen to them.  Better than some mainstream music, anyway.  Then again, I don't usually stray from favorites.

Video Game Of The Year: The Last Of Us (PlayStation 3)
Enjoyed Naughty Dog's work.  Although...  As a Trophy Hunter, I don't enjoy playing Survivor or Crushing Modes to get Platinum Trophy.  Awesome stories, though.

Edit: Sentence corrections.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:00:22 pm by MJMaranan »

Please check out the games I have for sale.

soera

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:19:59 am »
Movie of the Year: Ted
Just a hilariously raunchy movie. Im not a big comedy fan but this movie I could watch over and over.

T.V. Show of the Year: CSI
This has been my choice since I saw the pilot when it was released.

Video Game of the Year: Ni no Kuni
Simply the greatest gaming experience ever. From start to finish, the entire game keeps you entertained. A perfect rendition of what a game should be.

Handheld Game of the Year: Link between Worlds
Such a gap between Link to the Past and this one but man, this game did not miss a single beat. I expected the portrait form to be very gimmicky and a cheap way to hide items but everything was done with such flawless execution.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 12:20:22 pm »
Movie of the Year: the Marvel Movies
I really can't choose between Iron man 3 and Thor Dark World so I'm just going to say both of them

Album of the Year; Black Sabbath 13
I really had low expectations for this album being how I preferred Sabbath with Dio, Ozzy's last few Solo Album not really doing anything for me, and the fact that bill Ward wasn't going to be in the band (I blame Sharon but that's a rant for another time) needless to say they did a great job on this Album and the Deluxe version is worth it for "Methademic" alone.

Handheld Game of the Year: Pokemon X & Y
These games have been Major timesinks for me and I enjoyed every moment playing them

Console Games of the Year: Rayman Legends
2D platformer that just feels right. It also helps that there is a Music stage based on Ram Jam's Black Betty

Game of the Year: Fire Emblem Awakening
as soon as I got my copy it pretty much replaced Sacred Stones as my favorite Fire Emblem Game and it probably the only game I put more time into than Pokemon this year

soera

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 08:35:00 pm »
Unlike so many other metal bands that have been around for years, Amon Amarth is still at the top of their game. And this album may very well be among their best ever. Some insanely good guitar-driven tunes on this.

Thanks for posting this ... was in Best buy swapping out a Blu Ray I ended up with 2 of so this came to mind and picked it up. :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 08:44:05 pm »

Thanks for posting this ... was in Best buy swapping out a Blu Ray I ended up with 2 of so this came to mind and picked it up. :)

Hope you like it as much as I did. \m/