Author Topic: CACHED: My first ever NES....with a special surprise!  (Read 1266 times)

matt

CACHED: My first ever NES....with a special surprise!
« on: November 21, 2011, 11:51:31 am »
@brettybluevein

Hey guys, thought I'd share something with my vgcollect buds. A few years ago, I asked my dad to look for my first ever NES, just so I could have it back in my possession. He had gotten it for me when I was 4 years old, and it had stayed at his house, and I also had one at my mom's. Then of course I've gotten others over the years, but the one at his house was my first, and really what started my love of video games, so I felt like we should be reunited. It was packed away and he had moved a few times over the years, but he called me last week to let me know they had found it, and sent it with my sister to give to me. My sis dropped it by and I was just floored to see it after all these years. Anyway, I started a thorough cleaning and noticed something pretty wild....the serial number. Now I've never been a big historian on serial numbers or anything, but this one caught my eye, mostly because of all the zeros...N0006190. After some searching, I come to find out that yes, I have NES #6190 in the world! I'm not sure how this beautiful baby wound up getting shipped to Oklahoma's retail market, as I have come to understand there was a test run of 50,000 NES's shipped to New York in Oct of 1985 to test how well they would sell, and then the mass production release came in Feb of the following year when those units sold so well. But I have confirmed that NES N0009000 was from that market test, so that would put mine actually before it but within the same group. I was so excited to learn that I had one of the first 10,000 NES's to ever be made. Here's a few pics, and as you can see, Mr. Bobomb was on hand to verify the serial number.

Have you guy's ever checked out your NES to see what serial number might be lurking on the bottom?

@desocietas November 9
I don't have mine anymore, but that baby looks in great shape! And Bobomb is very cute indeed.

@madmax November 9
Wow that's in such good shape!

i have #97xxxxx. So nothing special :P

@scott November 9
That is an excellent find and well worth putting your dad on the scavenger hunt. Make sure you keep that baby safe and sound!

I foolishly sold my original NES long long ago. The one that I am using now I got off of @matt a few years back to jump start replacing my original collection. The number on this one is: N13922171, nothing special at all.

@tpugmire November 9
I'll have to take a look when I get home. I was the first kid in my neighborhood to get one. My Mom worked at a toy store back then, and she snagged one when they were hard to find.

@matt November 10
Yah know I have 6 NES decks at home and have never looked at the numbers on them. Looks like I know what I'll be doing tonight.

@brettybluevein November 14
@matt and @tpugmire did you guys ever check your serial numbers?

@matt November 14
The 3 I can get to right now are all in the 1000,000 - 3000000 range. Not too special. :(

@monochrome 12:43AM
This is really cool.. I'll have to dig out my childhood NES(s) and check the serials, but I'm sure they are high, both are Duck Hunt/Super Mario Bros. Action sets from a couple years into the systems' lifespan.

scott

Re: CACHED: My first ever NES....with a special surprise!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:00:35 pm »
This post was indeed worth rescuing.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread