Author Topic: Nintendo Famicom video picture  (Read 1204 times)

90snostalga

Nintendo Famicom video picture
« on: December 06, 2013, 12:37:10 am »
It's too late to return my famicom I ordered from online.  I thought it was perfect and that nothing was wrong with it.  But today I just realized that it is obviously a modded unit.  I cleaned the console in and out and all the internal parts are Nintendo branded but it was modded with an av wires.  I realized today that the famicoms did not have an av option only the rf spot.  Mine came with an av cord of black and red.  Well, I noticed as well, that the brightness and color is off.   I looked up several games online on youtube and noticed the color of mine famicom is completely off and that my tv brightness had to be all the way up to see the games.  When I bring the brightness all the way to normal, you cannot see anything!  I use the av cords with it because the rf way is too fuzzy and is bothering. 

Any one know of any way I can restore the picture quality to normal if possible?  Thanks for your time.

90snostalga

Re: Nintendo Famicom video picture
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 01:18:20 am »
I wanted to add that I just now tried the Famicom on my 1080p hd tv.  my other tv I was referring to on my previous post was a standard tv I use for all old classic systems.  Well, on my HD the brightness seems to be fine and fixed; however, the color is still off.  For example on my Dragon ball game, the water on the background on my part is white instead of blue.  The background to my Mario 3 game is white instead of a light beige.  I hope my system is not screwed up.  Please let me know if anyone has any advice.

crabhammer

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 02:52:42 am »
What type of A/V mod (composite or RGB)?

Does the RF output still work?

Do you have any pictures of the inside of the FC?

I have a feeling that whoever did the mod either used incorrect components, didn't know what they were doing or the game uses some "special hardware" built into the cartridge. Depending on the type of mod, there are a few games known not to work correctly. If I knew the answers to the above questions, I might be able to help.  ;)

EDIT: I re-read your original post and got the answer to my second question and I realized the issue is on multiple games.  :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:55:28 am by crabhammer »

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 09:28:22 pm »
What type of A/V mod (composite or RGB)?

Does the RF output still work?

Do you have any pictures of the inside of the FC?

I have a feeling that whoever did the mod either used incorrect components, didn't know what they were doing or the game uses some "special hardware" built into the cartridge. Depending on the type of mod, there are a few games known not to work correctly. If I knew the answers to the above questions, I might be able to help.  ;)

EDIT: I re-read your original post and got the answer to my second question and I realized the issue is on multiple games.  :P

Thanks for your post.  I actually ended up figuring out the problem about a week after I posted that.  I found the modded wires were both audio av cables only so what I had to do was hook those up via white and red av slots, and the rf switch to the ant input on my tv and the picture shows fine!  Only problem is I have to connect those modded audio wires or there is a bunch of static.  I do not have a clue why they modded it like that but it is what it is...

crabhammer

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 11:47:56 pm »
It sounds to me like it's more of a poorly done audio mod. They must have grounded to something they shouldn't have. That would explain the dim picture. It wasn't a video signal... it was bleed-over interference from whatever they "grounded" to. Hopefully they didn't jack it up too bad and I'm glad you're at least able to play some FC games without issue.  ;D